Forums
The Home Office has quietly adopted a new plan to allow police across Britain routinely to hack into people’s personal computers without a warrant. The move, which follows a decision by the European Union’s council of ministers in Brussels, has angered civil liberties groups and opposition MPs. They described it as a sinister extension of the surveillance state which drives “a coach and horses” through privacy laws.

Richard Clayton, said that remote searches had been possible since 1994, although they were very rare. An amendment to the Computer Misuse Act 1990 made hacking legal if it was authorised and carried out by the state.

Police might also send an e-mail to a suspect’s computer. The message would include an attachment that contained a virus or “malware”. If the attachment was opened, the remote search facility would be covertly activated. Alternatively, police could park outside a suspect’s home and hack into his or her hard drive using the wireless network.

Click for more info

----------------------------------------------------------

Just wrong I say mad
yer, this is terrible, On what grounds do they call the right to do this ?????
While I quite agree that the invasion of privacy is outrageous - If the police want to see what is on my computers they can bring a jar of coffee (decaf please) and I will bore them to death showing them what is there. By the time they have worked their way through a zillion emails and nearly as many photographs, Powerpoint presentations etc they will be banging their heads on teh wall and be pleading to be let out.

Snod
Whats the problem in that?
If they can do it anyone can do it.

The system could be open for missuse.

what about all the MP3 files and video torrents people download?
Originally Posted by Wheels

what about all the MP3 files and video torrents people download?

they are not interested in the small minority mate, they aremore than likely after the big chiefs in the piracy chain.

smile
© Wirral-Wikiwirral