Forums
Posted By: Anonymous Man trapped by sofa sipped whisky - 27th Jan 2009 3:14pm
A man who became trapped beneath his sofa for two days said he survived by sipping from a bottle of whisky.

Joe Galliott, 65, lost his bearings during a power cut at his home in Yeovil, Somerset, and fell against the three-seater which toppled onto him.

Because of back problems, he was unable to free his 19-stone frame and remained stuck for 60 hours until a neighbour spotted him through the curtains.

He said a bottle of whisky, which had rolled within reach, kept him going.

"The whole settee tipped over catching me like a rat in a trap," he said

"I took a sip of [the whisky] and thought, well this isn't too bad."

Curtains closed

But after several hours without food or water, he admits, he became quite worried.

"It felt like a lifetime, you think you're there forever," he said.

The alarm was raised by a neighbour who had peered through the window, after becoming concerned that Mr Galliott's curtains had not been drawn for two days.

He spent five days recovering in hospital after his ordeal earlier this month.

Mr Galliott said he was keeping another bottle of whisky by the sofa "just in case.

THE BBC
Posted By: StuyMac Re: Man trapped by sofa sipped whisky - 27th Jan 2009 3:17pm
I red this too....

Make you wonder if he had the scotch and woke up 2 days later with the sofa on top of him raftl
Posted By: Wheels Re: Man trapped by sofa sipped whisky - 27th Jan 2009 3:27pm
raftl lmao

glad he's ok tho, would not be a nice way to go on your own.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Man trapped by sofa sipped whisky - 27th Jan 2009 5:34pm
Originally Posted by StuyMac
I red this too....

Make you wonder if he had the scotch and woke up 2 days later with the sofa on top of him raftl

lol i was thinking that to raftl
Posted By: Dava2479 Re: Man trapped by sofa sipped whisky - 28th Jan 2009 12:35am
raftl You could be right.
Posted By: DavidB Re: Man trapped by sofa sipped whisky - 28th Jan 2009 12:02pm
I'd like to know how you can fall over and then manage to have a 19 stone sofa topple over on top of you.
Posted By: MissGuided Re: Man trapped by sofa sipped whisky - 28th Jan 2009 12:24pm
I thought the man was 19 stone?

'Because of back problems, he was unable to free his 19-stone frame and remained stuck for 60 hours until a neighbour spotted him through the curtains.'

© Wirral-Wikiwirral