Forums
Posted By: _Ste_ Woman Killed In Train Line Panic - 6th Jan 2009 1:08am
A woman has died while frantically trying to get her car off a rail line after it was involved in a shunt at a level crossing.

[Linked Image]

It is believed her grey Rover 216 Si clipped a Ford transit van travelling in the opposite direction near Spalding, Lincolnshire.

The van driver managed to get his vehicle off the tracks before the safety barriers lowered, but the Rover became trapped at the South Drove crossing.

Officers said the woman desperately tried to reverse her car as an oncoming train approached but was unable to move it out of the way in time.

Sergeant Dave Kay said: "She was making frantic attempts to get off the level-crossing but witnesses said it was very, very quick from when the barriers came down to the collision.

"She was trying to get her car off the level-crossing but because of the arctic conditions it was like a skating rink and she couldn't get very far."

The 30-year-old woman, from Spalding, has not been named.

The two men in the van raced towards the Rover but could not reach the woman to save her.

No one else was injured but the train driver was left badly shaken.

The train, the 8.33am service from Peterborough to Lincoln, was carrying 18 passengers, a driver and a conductor.

East Midlands Trains, which operates the service, said it was slightly damaged but not derailed.

Train services in the area have been disrupted and services are terminating at Sleaford in Lincolnshire while investigations continue.

Routes affected include Peterborough, Spalding, Sleaford, Ruskington, Metheringham and Lincoln.
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Woman Killed In Train Line Panic - 6th Jan 2009 1:10am
frown rip
Posted By: MGCraig Re: Woman Killed In Train Line Panic - 6th Jan 2009 1:19am
Sad story, especially in a situation like that. People will probably say "Why didnt she just get out??" but when panic grips, not much you can do frown
Posted By: Tony_1985 Re: Woman Killed In Train Line Panic - 6th Jan 2009 2:13am
OMG

R.I.P.
Posted By: MissGuided Re: Woman Killed In Train Line Panic - 6th Jan 2009 8:23am
I guess she gave her life really - she could have jumped maybe - but I think possibly she was more concerned for the train and the fact that it may have carried quite a few people at that time of day.

Very sad.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Woman Killed In Train Line Panic - 6th Jan 2009 2:35pm
very sad. RIP frown
Posted By: StuyMac Re: Woman Killed In Train Line Panic - 6th Jan 2009 2:39pm
Very sad, but....

If someone "clipped" someone else, was she / the van driver trying to jump the barriers think

Also, if the barriers come down, its a very good sign a train will be arriving very soon - I think I would have been more concerned with getting myself out of the way.... think
Posted By: Dava2479 Re: Woman Killed In Train Line Panic - 6th Jan 2009 4:23pm
a very unfortunate accident.R.I.P. frown
Posted By: DavidB Re: Woman Killed In Train Line Panic - 6th Jan 2009 10:24pm
I'm sorry, I would've been out of the car as soon as I saw the train approaching. It's tragic, she was probably trying to avoid getting her car damaged.
Posted By: Wench Re: Woman Killed In Train Line Panic - 6th Jan 2009 10:53pm
Same here. Just doesn't make any sense.

RIP Miss.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral