Forums
Posted By: _Ste_ Baby born with foot in head - 25th Dec 2008 1:58pm
[Linked Image]
Sam Esquibel is recovering from surgery

[youtube]LIBf26aikFQ[/youtube]

Baby born with 'foot in brain'
Sam Esquibel

US surgeons operating on a brain tumour in a baby boy found a tiny foot inside his head.

Doctors operated on three-day old Sam Esquibel after finding what looked like a microscopic tumour on an MRI scan.

But while removing the growth, they also found a nearly perfect foot and the partial formation of another foot, a hand and a thigh.

The growth may have been a case of "foetus in foetu" in which a twin begins to form within its sibling.

However, the team at Memorial Hospital for Children in Colorado Springs said such cases very rarely occur in the brain.

You'd never know if he didn't have a scar there
Tiffnie Esquibel

It may also have been a type of congenital brain tumour.

But such growths are usually less complex than a foot or hand, the doctors added.

Unique

Dr Paul Grabb, a paediatric neurosurgeon, said Sam was otherwise healthy when he underwent the procedure in October.

"It looked like the breech delivery of a baby, coming out of the brain," he said.

"To find a perfectly formed structure (like this) is extremely unique, unusual, borderline unheard of."

Sam's parents, Tiffnie and Manuel Esquibel, say their son is at home now but faces monthly blood tests to check for signs of cancer or regrowth, along with physical therapy to improve the use of his neck.

But they say he has mostly recovered from the operation.

"You'd never know if he didn't have a scar there," his mother said.

Mr Dominic Thompson, a consultant paediatric neurosurgeon at London's Great Ormond Street Hospital, said there were probably fewer than 100 recorded cases of foetus in foetu in the medical literature.

He said another possibility was that the tumour was of a type called a teratoma, which can include tissue such as muscle and fat, and more rarely bone and teeth.

However, he said the available details from the US case suggested that foetus in foetu was the most likely explanation, as the tissue was so exceptionally well formed.

Trevor Lawson, of the charity Brain Tumour UK, said: "Even with modern imaging techniques, surgeons can't be entirely sure of what they'll find when they go into the skull.

"Even so, this is an exceptionally rare event.

"It's good to know that baby Sam is recovering well. Brain tumours now kill more children than any other solid cancer and it's essential that more research is undertaken to identify what causes them.

"Where appropriate consent is gained, rare events like these can sometimes provide invaluable genetic material that gives an insight into the origins of these traumatic tumours."

BBC News
Posted By: hoseman Re: Baby born with foot in head - 25th Dec 2008 8:19pm
WOW.....Makes you think!!
all i can think about is hes a new born and grown 3 feet already!!!! (sorry, Taxi for Hoseman!!!!!) raftl
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Baby born with foot in head - 26th Dec 2008 5:12pm
mad that omg
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Baby born with foot in head - 26th Dec 2008 5:23pm
is sttrange
Posted By: Dava2479 Re: Baby born with foot in head - 26th Dec 2008 9:45pm
confused Bloody hell.
Posted By: Wench Re: Baby born with foot in head - 27th Dec 2008 1:15pm
Originally Posted by hoseman
WOW.....Makes you think!!
all i can think about is hes a new born and grown 3 feet already!!!! (sorry, Taxi for Hoseman!!!!!) raftl

All I could think was that if they left it there it would be easier for him to put his foot in his mouth.

I'll get my coat shall I.
Posted By: Dava2479 Re: Baby born with foot in head - 27th Dec 2008 1:27pm
raftl
Posted By: Mondeo_Scott Re: Baby born with foot in head - 27th Dec 2008 1:29pm
ya all nuts raftl
Posted By: hoseman Re: Baby born with foot in head - 30th Dec 2008 7:50pm
We know we are all nuts mate, thats why this is the only website that will have us!!!!!! doh
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Baby born with foot in head - 10th Mar 2009 11:57pm
Whoah what a story! Fact stranger than fiction.
Posted By: DavidB Re: Baby born with foot in head - 11th Mar 2009 1:25pm
My mate had some crazy tumour thingy from her womb and it had teeth. Horrible!
Posted By: MissGuided Re: Baby born with foot in head - 11th Mar 2009 1:40pm
Also known as a molar pregnancy

Click for info
© Wirral-Wikiwirral