Forums
Posted By: MattLFC Plastic Bag Policy "A Diversion" - 17th May 2008 4:52pm
Originally Posted by BBC News
Plans to ban or charge for single-use plastic bags are a diversion from the real environmental issues, one of the government's own advisers has said.

Waste and recycling expert Professor Chris Coggins said such a government policy allowed the supermarkets to pass on responsibility to customers.

He said supermarkets could be helping to influence packaging rather than shifting the problem on to consumers.

The government said the public wanted to see action to curb use of the bags.

I think its a load of bullshit; yeah, lets charge people to use bags (at the end of the day, this ISNT going to reduce the amount of bags people need to use is it ffs), and I have a sneaky suspicion the government will soon levy a "plastic bag tax" like they are currently planning for light bulbs!!

Absolutely stupid policy, the manufacturers are to blame for the packaging problems, instead of packaging things with layers and layers of fancy packaging in an attempt to sell the product and make it look higher quality (even though its usually the same old shit as the cheap stuff), why dont the government go after these dickheads instead.. oh because the government like to protect corporations and rip off consumers.

BBC News Report
Posted By: Sanchez Re: Plastic Bag Policy "A Diversion" - 17th May 2008 6:06pm
Totally agree with you mat, the thing that get's me is why arn't they clamping down on the wrapper used to contain the items we buy, the waste from certain things is terrible, easter eggs for one, so much paggaging, thats were, imo the problem lies.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral