Forums
Posted By: Civic_Coupe_Sean Food and petrol push up inflation - 13th Feb 2008 2:22am
Rising food and petrol prices pushed up UK inflation in January, figures show.

Last month's Consumer Prices Index (CPI) inflation figure rose to 2.2%, up from 2.1% in December. The rate is the highest since June 2007.

The Retail Price Index (RPI), which includes mortgage interest payments, rose to 4.1% from 4% in December.

However, while price growth was strong, it was not as quick as many analysts had feared, boosting hopes of further interest rate cuts in the UK this year.

Below trend

The Bank of England cut UK interest rates last week to 5.25% from 5.5% in an attempt to prevent a major slowdown in the economy.

But the Bank signalled that it was unlikely to cut rates as sharply as the US Federal Reserve - which has slashed borrowing costs to 3% - because of fears over inflationary pressures.

"It will be some time yet before the MPC's inflation concerns evaporate," said Jonathan Loynes at Capital Economics.

Many analysts are predicting that the Bank will keep rates on hold in order to get a clearer picture of long-term economic and inflationary trends, and the impact slower growth will have on consumer prices.

"We do not expect the Bank to cut interest rates again until May, unless it becomes clear that growth is slowing substantially," said Howard Archer of Global Insight.

"Further out, we still expect interest rates to fall to 4.5% by the end of the year as we believe that the economy will see extended below trend growth and that this will eventually contain inflation."

Price pressures

The Office for National Statistics (ONS) said that the largest upward pressure came from the price of fuel.

Average petrol prices rose by 1.3p in January to stand at 103.9p per litre.

Food prices also contributed to the rise in inflation, particularly fruit such as grapes and grapefruit, the ONS said.

However, a number of factors helped to offset food and fuel increases, not least downward pressure on clothing costs and cut-price offers on the High Street aimed at luring consumers, analysts said.

"January's UK consumer prices figures suggest that, for now at least, retailers are largely absorbing the steep increases in costs seen over recent months in their profit margins," said Capital Economics' Mr Loynes. "Nonetheless, there is some encouragement here that weaker demand is doing the job of containing price pressures," he added.
Posted By: jonah Re: Food and petrol push up inflation - 13th Feb 2008 11:19am
mad dont you just love rip-off britain.... We now have the most expensive fuel in Europe... some places now selling diesel for £1.19 a litre, smashing thru the £5 gallon mark ! the sooner i can get me, and my family out of this god-forsaken sh**thole, the fooking better ! somad
Posted By: Mark Re: Food and petrol push up inflation - 13th Feb 2008 11:46am
Its the same in wales jonah lol
Posted By: jonah Re: Food and petrol push up inflation - 13th Feb 2008 11:52am
it is the same all over the uk, which is why i want to leave the uk for a better quality of life...
Posted By: placidmaster Re: Food and petrol push up inflation - 13th Feb 2008 3:07pm
this is why its cheaper for me to have my car from Z.A screw the queen and road tax lol. this country should refuse to go to work for a week, all of us then they would have to take action, and i am sick of this green shit too, they want me to buy a friendlier car then close the coal power stations around the world down first
© Wirral-Wikiwirral