Forums
Posted By: StuyMac More fuel protests.... - 7th Dec 2007 1:42pm
BBC News

TBH I think its about time - the duty is stupidly high...

Wonder if it will be as effective as back in 2000... think
Posted By: MattLFC Re: More fuel protests.... - 7th Dec 2007 2:03pm
Dunno why but the people of this country get weaker and weaker by the day. Back in 2000 there was a massive uproar because of the pricing increases, we are now hitting levels never even thought possible by the petrol stations themselves (ie. a lot havent even got space to put the £1 digit on the pricing boards) and nobody can be bothered, instead we will just continue to get ripped off.

People should campaign to remove the VAT from fuel, the government are making a fortune out of the motorist, and barely 10% is being spend on the roads.

Im mainly buying Biodiesel until the pricing of regular derv is lowered to acceptable levels. I consider it some sort of rebel, even if only on a small scale and not comparable to a protest.

Its time this country marched on downing street and blocked Gordon Brown in until he promises to lower fuel duty!!
Posted By: StuyMac Re: More fuel protests.... - 7th Dec 2007 2:07pm
Bioderv is a great option for those that can - even better if you can make it yourself, as you get it duty free laugh

(Well the first 2500l, but who would know wink )
Posted By: MattLFC Re: More fuel protests.... - 7th Dec 2007 2:18pm
Yeah, £1.07 a litre for derv (there or there abouts anyway) is scandelous! When I started driving, it was 77.9 for petrol and 78.9 for derv, and I thought (and the rest of the country thought) that when it gradually went upto 84.9 for petrol it was getting out of hand.

When it was 94.9 for petrol earlier this year iirc, it was for some reason considered okay lol, I thought that if it ever got to the £1 level people would go mad, but alas petrol is like £1.02 and people are still happy to pay it.

One thing ive always wondered, why is diesel so much more expensive then petrol today? When the prices were below £1 it was only like 1 or 2p dearer, but nowadays there is like a 5p gap...

think
Posted By: StuyMac Re: More fuel protests.... - 7th Dec 2007 2:21pm
Petrol prices over the past 25 years can be seen here.
Posted By: MattLFC Re: More fuel protests.... - 7th Dec 2007 2:31pm
Id like to know where we can get it for 87.9p per litre lol.
Posted By: Beemertastic Re: More fuel protests.... - 7th Dec 2007 4:05pm
well..ive just about had enough of rip-off britain..and the home secretary....dont get me started!
Posted By: Mark Re: More fuel protests.... - 8th Dec 2007 11:53pm
Personally i'm amazed that there hasn't been any protests.
It went over the £1 per litre hardly noticed.
Posted By: MattLFC Re: More fuel protests.... - 9th Dec 2007 12:34am
Originally Posted by BBC News
This time last year one litre of unleaded petrol cost 86.11p.

Taken from just over a month ago, it is quite shocking!

I think its time the government removed the VAT personally and stopped ripping the motorist off!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7082847.stm#petrol
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: More fuel protests.... - 10th Dec 2007 5:51pm
Originally Posted by PetrolPrices.com
This morning (10/12/07) Transaction 2007 announced a firm date for the protest. Protests will start Saturday 15th December 2007 at 10:00am. They say the date was decided by members as "the best possible to enable those who would normally be working during the week to attend." According to a press release on the site, they plan to protest outside refineries or storage depots across the country.

Clicky
Posted By: Mark Re: More fuel protests.... - 10th Dec 2007 5:55pm
I heard the oganiser from up north sunderland or where ever go a nice bung to ease off. But that was after the last lot of protests.
Posted By: MattLFC Re: More fuel protests.... - 10th Dec 2007 9:53pm
I just put some Derv in and was surprised to see the government havent added any tax in the last two weeks lmao!

Are normal motorists allowed to go to these protests or will it just be lorries... I have nothing to do on Saturday lol!
Posted By: MattLFC Re: More fuel protests.... - 10th Dec 2007 10:52pm
http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/reducefuelduty/

SIGN IT NOW! I dont believe in petitions as the government never take any notice, but if we can get 10 million sigs by April 2008, and then they decide to ignore it, then it means we no longer live in a democracy!
Posted By: Mark Re: More fuel protests.... - 14th Dec 2007 5:11pm
They have been queing at the pumps at most garages today.
Dunno why and its the protest tomorrow is all i can think of.

Any one going along?

I'm lead to believe that there is only one way to and from
stanlow tomorrow.
Posted By: jonah Re: More fuel protests.... - 14th Dec 2007 6:22pm
there are a few entrances, one on the a5117 and one in Elton, think thats the one they will be using as the 5117 is really small and a public safety hazzard if protesters block that
© Wirral-Wikiwirral