Forums
Posted By: MattLFC Thousands Of Motorists Involved In Card Clone Scam - 21st Apr 2007 12:12pm
Originally Posted by BBC News
Thousands of motorists who use a bank card to buy petrol are thought to have lost millions of pounds in a scam allegedly linked to Tamil rebels.

It is believed cards are being skimmed at petrol stations, whereby the card details and pin numbers are retrieved and money withdrawn from the account.

About 200 of the UK's 9,500 petrol stations are thought to have been hit.

The Sri Lankan government has claimed its opponents, the Tamil Tigers, are behind the scam.

Police are investigating complaints made in Edinburgh, Norwich, Bury St Edmunds, Peterborough, Nottingham, Leeds, Bristol and Hull.

In my opinion, they really need to tighten up the security of chip and pin machines, all these scams going on, especially at petrol stations, are making it look rediculous and I am not having second thoughts about using my card at any petrol station where I don't go reguarly.

What are your thoughts? Do you trust the chip and pin method of payment?

BBC News Report
I used too, but its there is a big scam every month or so.

First the banks saying they can t be scammed,
then the likes of watch dog says they can.

You have to fight for your money back.

Its is getting wary.

At the moment I'm not trusting the chip and pin,
but what's the alternative?
Originally Posted by Mark
I used too, but its there is a big scam every month or so.

First the banks saying they can t be scammed,
then the likes of watch dog says they can.

You have to fight for your money back.

Its is getting wary.

At the moment I'm not trusting the chip and pin,
but what's the alternative?

I suppose the only alternative is getting cash at an ATM. Although there are many petrol stations with ATM's nowadays, I just find it inconvenient.

However, until they start securing the system or offering more user protection (as in not having to battle to get refunds for illegal transactions due to a flaw in their security), I will only pay with my card at the few petrol stations I use on a regular basis.

If I am anywhere else now, I will pay by cash if its possible.

Its a real shame chip and pin is so easy to scam, it looked very promising. I notice they dont have these problems in France, where they have used chip and pin for years.

frown
even cash machines cant be trusted, u can even have ur details skimmed(isnt that the term they've given this ?) usin one of them, did hear bout some petrol stations on the wirral bein investigated for this a while ago then the story just fizzled out..
Plastic cards = the new Gold Bar wink
Carry cash and get hit by a metal bar, chip and pin scam you still get robbed, but you arent pysically hurt and the banks insure you for fraud.

The lesser of 2 evils I think, as long as there is money / value, there will be theives....
© Wirral-Wikiwirral