Forums
Posted By: palemoon Fat Wirral - 4th May 2016 7:35am
http://www.wirralglobe.co.uk/news/1...on_in_table_of_hospital_patient_obesity/

I always wonder what the thoughts are of the persons photographed in this type of article. They must recognise themselves. Oh! the shame. grin
Posted By: snowhite Re: Fat Wirral - 4th May 2016 7:43am
Originally Posted by palemoon
http://www.wirralglobe.co.uk/news/1...on_in_table_of_hospital_patient_obesity/

I always wonder what the thoughts are of the persons photographed in this type of article. They must recognise themselves. Oh! the shame. grin
I have seen worse than that Palemoon.
The woman in the photo can do something about her weight,Cut out the fatty foods and takeaways or even fatty drinks and alcohol.
Posted By: palemoon Re: Fat Wirral - 4th May 2016 7:52am
Hey! keep that mouse away from my avatar.

offtopic I know.
Posted By: Excoriator Re: Fat Wirral - 4th May 2016 8:23am
I remember my first visit to America in the 1960s. On leaving the Aircraft I assumed my visit had coincided with a convention for the overweight! The difference between them and a similar crowd of Brits was dramatic.

Over the years the difference has diminished, and it is now hard to tell us apart. I think we have got fatter, and they have passed the peak of their obesity.

But I doubt whether we will ever get to the stage of eating like them. Also from my first visit, I recall seeing a group of four fleshy businessmen in a hotel eating a breakfast of steak and chips. The steaks were the size of a dinner plate and they had also ordered a large communal bowl of chips in order to be sure there was enough. They finished the lot!
Posted By: chriskay Re: Fat Wirral - 4th May 2016 11:07am
Yes, I remember on a visit to California in the 70's eating at a restaurant where, on the menu, they guaranteed that their Idaho baked potatoes weighed at least a pound each. I saw people with two on their plates.
Posted By: svenlock68 Re: Fat Wirral - 4th May 2016 3:05pm
We ARE the usa
Go round any northern rainy cold town in the uk
Fat obese bloaters suckin on macs ice cream burgers and pop/pasties etc
Young fat kids consuming
Its only goin to get worse
Fat lazy kids in 4x4s driven by fat lazy mums&dads
Yet we watch healthy al la carte progs on tv
Ironic
I say invest in shares in obesity medication companies....youll make £
Posted By: casper Re: Fat Wirral - 4th May 2016 6:27pm
I don't like to type cast, however I always notice when shopping that the more obese a person is the more their shopping carts are full of crap, bottles of coke,crisps sweets cakes, hamburgers pizzas, more noticeable the kids are overweight the same as the parents, has anybody noticed the increasing numbers of people using electric buggies, a very large proportion of them appear to be overweight, I'am no lightweight myself classed as obese using the BMI index coming in at 14 stone, but a lot now are what is called morbidly obese, and electric buggies and coke and chips will only make it worse.
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Fat Wirral - 4th May 2016 7:29pm
A few years ago there was an epidemic of overweight kids around, then the last couple of years it seemed to improve but there seems to be a sudden recent surge in heavyweights again.

From the article in the original post, Wirral's defence is that there are less overweight people on Wirral than average - but as the number needing hospital is so bad, this indicates that those that are overweight are far less healthy than overweight people from other areas.
Posted By: snowhite Re: Fat Wirral - 4th May 2016 7:44pm
Originally Posted by palemoon
Hey! keep that mouse away from my avatar.

offtopic I know.
laugh funny though.
Posted By: snowhite Re: Fat Wirral - 4th May 2016 7:48pm
I can remember a tv programe last year.The 2 parents wanted there 14 year old son to get a gastric band put in ,
He was well obese.The thing that i could not get my head round was,The parents were just as obese as he was.
Posted By: starakita Re: Fat Wirral - 4th May 2016 7:53pm
Some people could be overweight because of a medical condition or medication they have to take not through overeating.
Posted By: snowhite Re: Fat Wirral - 4th May 2016 7:57pm
Originally Posted by starakita
Some people could be overweight because of a medical condition or medication they have to take not through overeating.
Yes i agree with you there Star.
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Fat Wirral - 4th May 2016 8:56pm

Weight is mostly brought on by eating more calories than the amount you burn off. Fluid build up is a slightly different issue but should be controlled by drugs and exercise where possible.

Basically, if you are capable of walking normally you shouldn't be excessively overweight, with very very few exceptions.

Saying all that, I've just measured myself and found I've crept into the Obese category whistle
Posted By: venice Re: Fat Wirral - 4th May 2016 9:23pm
Originally Posted by diggingdeeper

Weight is mostly brought on by eating more calories than the amount you burn off. Fluid build up is a slightly different issue but should be controlled by drugs and exercise where possible.

Basically, if you are capable of walking normally you shouldn't be excessively overweight, with very very few
exceptions.

Saying all that, I've just measured myself and found I've crept into the Obese category whistle

Lots of people on the painkiller Pregabalin are very overweight and pot bellied/barrel chested looking - its a very common side effect of the drug. There are probably others too .
Posted By: Excoriator Re: Fat Wirral - 4th May 2016 9:53pm
I am lucky, I am still about the same as I was at 20, under 11 stone. I am in my mid '70s now. I have known plenty of folk though, who eat no more than I do who find keeping their weight down is a constant struggle. There must be a genetic element there somewhere I guess.

One thing that makes people eat less - or more - is the size of their plates. If you serve food on a smaller plate, people tend to eat less. Restaurants are well aware of this and places that run buffet meals are careful to use small plates.

I have noticed that the size of wine glasses has grown too. Years back, a bottle of wine gave you six wineglasses to sip. These days, I have seen wineglasses so big you'd be lucky to get two glasses from a bottle.
Posted By: snowhite Re: Fat Wirral - 4th May 2016 9:58pm
Originally Posted by Excoriator
I am lucky, I am still about the same as I was at 20, under 11 stone. I am in my mid '70s now. I have known plenty of folk though, who eat no more than I do who find keeping their weight down is a constant struggle. There must be a genetic element there somewhere I guess.

One thing that makes people eat less - or more - is the size of their plates. If you serve food on a smaller plate, people tend to eat less. Restaurants are well aware of this and places that run buffet meals are careful to use small plates.

I have noticed that the size of wine glasses has grown too. Years back, a bottle of wine gave you six wineglasses to sip. These days, I have seen wineglasses so big you'd be lucky to get two glasses from a bottle.
Is this because you watch what you eat?Or you one of them lucky ones who can eat loads and not put any weight on?
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Fat Wirral - 4th May 2016 10:01pm
Originally Posted by venice
Lots of people on the painkiller Pregabalin are very overweight and pot bellied/barrel chested looking - its a very common side effect of the drug. There are probably others too .

Yes, some drugs give you more appetite or lower your metabolic rate but its still a case that you are eating more calories than you are using - the drugs themselves can only supply so many calories (very few compared to a normal diet), they can't increase your weight without you eating too much.
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Fat Wirral - 4th May 2016 10:41pm
Interesting points raised here: I note that it is only the men-folk admitting to weighing in as obese. grin

Obesity, suggests to me- 'gross fatness' but in medical terms the definition is much narrower. What a Doctor defines as obese, I would probably define as 'chubby' or has a beer belly or a fat arse or cankles etc

Personally, I have my limits. I have my 'slim' size (lollipop head), my comfortable size and my 'fat size'- will not buy any clothing above that size- NO WAY- and defo no leggings, either!!! I cannot understand people who just get bigger and bigger and bigger, size wise.

Anyway, heres two pics of obese ladies. One is 'acceptable' in society, the other is not. Will let you decide....

Attached picture obese 1.jpg
Attached picture obese 2 (Copy).jpg
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Fat Wirral - 4th May 2016 11:04pm
[quote=Excoriator]

I agree with you there. We have a mish-mash of plates. I always opt for the smaller ones- psychologically the plate looks 'full'- ie had a good scran!!!

Posted By: casper Re: Fat Wirral - 5th May 2016 8:00am
Originally Posted by RUDEBOX
Interesting points raised here: I note that it is only the men-folk admitting to weighing in as obese. grin

Obesity, suggests to me- 'gross fatness' but in medical terms the definition is much narrower. What a Doctor defines as obese, I would probably define as 'chubby' or has a beer belly or a fat arse or cankles etc

Personally, I have my limits. I have my 'slim' size (lollipop head), my comfortable size and my 'fat size'- will not buy any

clothing above that size- NO WAY- and defo no leggings, either!!! I cannot understand people who just get bigger and bigger and bigger, size wise.

Anyway, heres two pics of obese ladies. One is 'acceptable' in society, the other is not. Will let you decide....

Spot on Rude, I don't class myself as obese, I can live with chubby or beer belly or maybe fat ass laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh
Posted By: Kieran1981 Re: Fat Wirral - 7th May 2016 8:43pm
We had a work colleague who died at work on Christmas Eve an hour before he finished his night shift as a lone worker. Paramedics came but by that time it was too late. He was massively obese, and weighed around 30 stone plus. He was only 43. He lived off takeaways. I was told his Dad died 2 weeks later and they had a double funeral. Very sad indeed.
Posted By: svenlock68 Re: Fat Wirral - 8th May 2016 6:52am
Excuses excuses.....
Modern people are addicted to corporate funded profit making factory farmed processed food!! And should get off their fat behinds & exercise!!
Were a nation of slobs and drinkers/ smokers
Try to eat for a week using foods not in a packet or have a label on...hard
Most food is processed
We over eat & our high st feeds our addiction
Betting/ burger king/ calorie dense coffee/ cafes/ fish chips/ curries/subway/ macs/ kfc/pizza/ pubs etc etc etc its all bad.
Youre responsible for your own body ...no one else is to blame.
Most fat lazy smoker slobs pumpin out 5 kids when youre 25 produce the same type ....its a circle
© Wirral-Wikiwirral