Forums
Posted By: diggingdeeper Wirral Met Architecture Award??? - 22nd Apr 2016 2:59pm
Oh please, Wirral Met new college on the docs has won a "prestigious" architecture award.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Posted By: Dilly Re: Wirral Met Architecture Award??? - 22nd Apr 2016 3:03pm
It's no more than a warehouse with a few windows.
Posted By: lansyp Re: Wirral Met Architecture Award??? - 22nd Apr 2016 3:09pm
Must of been from the blind society it's just another drab and dreary dock side building Hough it looks better with the tower on it lol
Posted By: venice Re: Wirral Met Architecture Award??? - 22nd Apr 2016 4:19pm
Someone should have done a 'The emperor's got no clothes on ' job before it got this far!! Very indifferent looking place - dont know how it won anything, Ive seen cattle barns not much less attractive.
Posted By: fish5133 Re: Wirral Met Architecture Award??? - 22nd Apr 2016 7:07pm
Award must have been in the best shed category.
Posted By: joeblogs Re: Wirral Met Architecture Award??? - 23rd Apr 2016 6:21am
now they just need to put the traffic lights back to normal
Posted By: Excoriator Re: Wirral Met Architecture Award??? - 24th Apr 2016 9:51am
For an industrial building, it looks pretty good, and it seems to do the job it was designed for pretty well, so why not?

It's certainly better than the horrible erections between the A41 and Lairds shipyard, not to mention many of the ghastly student barracks thrown up in Liverpool!
Posted By: starakita Re: Wirral Met Architecture Award??? - 24th Apr 2016 4:35pm
My nephew is studying there,he started in the old building but some of them got work experience working on it & got employee of the month.I think it looks ok modern & built for purpose
Posted By: brazil Re: Wirral Met Architecture Award??? - 25th Apr 2016 7:39pm
digging, I can't believe your reaction to our local College being given an award for a building on that plot of land. If you knew and know Seacombe like I do, you would know how important any investment is in my old stomping ground.

Any good news for the area is a good thing, and in my view should be looked at in that way. The building is a construction campus, trades such as Painting, Decorating, Plumbing, Electrical and Joinery. Trades to get kids into work on our doorsteps, giving them a real chance, that's what the building was built for.

It might not be everybody's cup of tea, but at least a North West agency panel felt
that it deserved an award, which has raised a decent profile, in the grand old scheme of things, isn't that better than poking fun at a new building serving a purpose for the local community.

Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Wirral Met Architecture Award??? - 25th Apr 2016 8:19pm
Its not an award for the college its an architecture award by RIBA for the building design, the deciding factor for this college design was that they hadn't put up barriers between the college and the water - ground breaking stuff!

Its not even a local architects firm that designed it. Its Glen Howells that have won the award together with the client which was Peel Holdings, not the college.

The same regional award was given to ten developments so its nothing particularly special anyway.

I have not poked fun at the building, it is the award process that I have concerns with.
Posted By: CVCVCV Re: Wirral Met Architecture Award??? - 25th Apr 2016 8:52pm
Another of those instances when the word "architecture" might well be placed in quotation marks. A bit like New Brighton.
Posted By: brazil Re: Wirral Met Architecture Award??? - 26th Apr 2016 1:20pm

I have no interest in awards processes, my point was the region, even by default and even as an after thought was looked at in a positive manner, I welcome that.

The community needs a focal point, 16 - 18 and older lads and girls, given an opportunity to learn real skills on their doorstep.

Don't care what it looks like, or who built it or indeed where they were from!

It's in our area and WE can use it.
Posted By: CVCVCV Re: Wirral Met Architecture Award??? - 26th Apr 2016 1:42pm
All true but Off-topic: the post is about whether it deserves an award for ARCHITECTURE.
Posted By: brazil Re: Wirral Met Architecture Award??? - 26th Apr 2016 2:01pm
Well let's move to the real world.

I am on topic.
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Wirral Met Architecture Award??? - 26th Apr 2016 4:30pm
We had a focal point, one of the biggest buildings on the Wirral, they chose to demolish that (Birkenhead Tech) and build trash to replace it that not only won awards but also fell apart (Conway Park Campus), they also demolished the other two main colleges (Withens Lane and Carlett Park) and built another building that fell apart (Twelve Keys).

We now have three colleges all in roughly one part of Wirral, not spread out like they used to be - and this is progress?

Knocking down buildings and building others is architectural failure, innovative redevelopment of buildings is a success.

© Wirral-Wikiwirral