Forums
Posted By: Mark Taxi Collision : Motorcyclist dies (Wirral) - 13th Sep 2015 4:02pm
A motorcyclist has died from his injuries after a collision with a taxi in Merseyside.
The rider was taken to hospital following the collision at 05:00 BST on the junction of Allport Road and Bridle Road in Wirral.
Police said the taxi driver was shaken but not injured, and is "cooperating fully".
Motorists have been advised to avoid the scene and the slip road from New Chester Road into Allport Road.

Click Me
Posted By: j_demo Re: Taxi Collision : Motorcyclist dies (Wirral) - 13th Sep 2015 8:36pm
So sad & condolences to the riders family. At 5am when the roads are quiet every taxi driver think they're nigel mansell and don't seem to care for other road users. I can honestly say that from experience of being a driver (picking girlfriend and her friends up from town), cyclist (off work, emergency trip to 24hr tesco), pedestrian (walking home from a friends house) and taxi user (when i'm a little drunk on my way home from town)

It would not surprise me at all if the taxi driver is completely in the wrong and the motorcyclist was just unfortunate. I could however be wrong...
He lived behind me,a quiet unassuming young man like his parents loved his bikes, everyone is devastated he was only 17, his parents are away on holiday and on there way back,Thoughts go out to all there family and biker friends,very sad indeed.
Posted By: fish5133 Re: Taxi Collision : Motorcyclist dies (Wirral) - 13th Sep 2015 10:25pm
another bikeing tragedy. The guy in oxton who only had his bike 2 hours and was killed on it.
I do the school crossings there sometimes. It has traffic lights.
Posted By: fish5133 Re: Taxi Collision : Motorcyclist dies (Wirral) - 14th Sep 2015 8:48pm
Drove past there today. Lots of floral tributes tied to the old sign post. Police have marked on the road what looks like the line of travel plus a rather large macabre oval shape--which I would like to think was just the final position of the motor bike. Bit disconcerting for family and relatives if they visited to lay flowers.
So sad
Posted By: fish5133 Re: Taxi Collision : Motorcyclist dies (Wirral) - 12th Feb 2016 11:49pm
Still hitting the papers--for all the wrong reasons. Some heartless soul tearing down the wayside tributes telling the grieving family to get on with their lives.

Interesting in this weeks paper --taxi "would have failed an MOT and was probably speeding a little according to taxi driver and passenger, also passenger said bike came through red traffic light"
Family thinking of suing taxi driver arguing that he shouldn't have been on the road and the accident wouldn't have happened if taxi had not been speeding. Can see their argument especially the speed and timing of the accident. Police didn't think they were contributing factors. Taxi had an MOT and like many of us drive around till the next test when it fails.

Posted By: Dilly Re: Taxi Collision : Motorcyclist dies (Wirral) - 13th Feb 2016 8:41am
The problem with an Mot is it is only a statement of the condition of the vehicle at the time of the test.
As the taxi was road legal, I don't see any grounds for the family to sue the taxi driver. If anything the taxi driver has a more valid case to sue the family if the passenger is correct and their son went through a red light.
Posted By: casper Re: Taxi Collision : Motorcyclist dies (Wirral) - 13th Feb 2016 9:26am
I'am not sure but don't taxis have to have checks or MOT's every six months?
Posted By: Dilly Re: Taxi Collision : Motorcyclist dies (Wirral) - 13th Feb 2016 9:58am
Originally Posted by casper

only when they reach a certain age.
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Taxi Collision : Motorcyclist dies (Wirral) - 13th Feb 2016 11:43am
Regardless of MOT or not, its just another grounds\excuse for what happened.
just because a car has no MOT it does not have anything to do with the accident, it drives, it stops, that is all.
An MOT is just a bit of useless paper, does not mean to say the car is roadworthy.
I am sure but rules may have changed. If a driver is over the legal drink drive limit and in an accident then responsibility is on them regardless of how accident occurred.
Originally Posted by casper
Taxis have a more thorough MOT test even private hire.In Wirral a private hire can only be used up to 8 yrs old but if the car is still in good condition it can be used longer but has to be tested every 6 months.I think this is still the case my ex used to taxi & he was on the licensing panel& I think he got them to bring that ruling in.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral