Forums
Posted By: Mark Liverpool's answer to the Statue of Liberty - 4th Sep 2015 11:04am
[Linked Image]

This giant 23-storey liver bird could soon provide Liverpool with an attraction to rival New York’s Statue of Liberty - if an artist gets his way.

Architect David Backhouse first thought of the 100-metre tall building 30 years ago, and believes it could cost up to £250 million.

Source
God help us if that's the best he can do, it looks like a child has been playing with kitchen foil.
Posted By: davew3 Re: Liverpool's answer to the Statue of Liberty - 4th Sep 2015 11:55am
So long as the taxpayer or the public don't pay for it, it looked to me as two whales can I say humping, that's at first sight of the picture.
Posted By: Habdab Re: Liverpool's answer to the Statue of Liberty - 4th Sep 2015 12:19pm
With a bit of luck it will join the rest of the harebrained schemes. I'm still waiting for the giant statue of Neptune to rise majestically from the sea at New Brighton.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/nostalgia/pictures-liverpool-never---schemes-6713515
I was going to post about this last night but I'm so undecided about it being good or bad.

It is HUGE, it is twice the height of the Statue of Liberty or Nelson's Column, it will be really good for tourism - possibly. It is not as tall as the Radio City Tower (or St John's Beacon as I still prefer to call it).

It is funded through one or both of the Liverpool BIDs which gets it money through a levy on business rates on all businesses inside their zone. Some businesses are going to benefit a lot more from this than others.

How many people have bothered to go and see The Angel of the North?

How many people can name any of the top ten highest statues in the World (or even more than three out of the top 50?).

What else could £250m be spent on ... Transport improvements? restoring many of the heritage sites that are sadly deteriorating?

I think the thing that gripes me most is the BID going way overboard and possibly wandering outside of what I see the BID should be involved in.

Yes I do like the idea but I am concerned about the cost and whether it could be better spent.
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Liverpool's answer to the Statue of Liberty - 4th Sep 2015 12:51pm
No chance!

Scrap the idea now.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Liverpool's answer to the Statue of Liberty - 4th Sep 2015 2:20pm
Loud and proud, I think it's Liverpool all over.......completely o.t.t.

PERFECT!!!!!
If it blocks the view of the new Museum of Liverpool it's a good thing lol
Posted By: cools Re: Liverpool's answer to the Statue of Liberty - 4th Sep 2015 3:37pm
Ugly! Looks like a seagull landing on a space ship.
Posted By: Dilly Re: Liverpool's answer to the Statue of Liberty - 4th Sep 2015 4:47pm
Got to be better than the monstrosity of a clown we have in New Brighton.
It look like it's got wrapping paper on it
What might be more appropriate would be a Ford car jacked on bricks with no wheels
Or four wheels with clamps on and no car
Liverpool already has a world class waterfront - I don't think it needs this ingenious but over-gimmicky offering, clever though the principles behind it might be - self-sufficiency in energy etc.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Liverpool's answer to the Statue of Liberty - 4th Sep 2015 6:25pm
Oh come on.......its so very fitting, bold, blingy, fun etc

I commission it
Posted By: Dilly Re: Liverpool's answer to the Statue of Liberty - 4th Sep 2015 6:55pm
Originally Posted by lollipop
Oh come on.......its so very fitting, bold, blingy, fun etc

I commission it

Shut up honey smile x
Posted By: rocks Re: Liverpool's answer to the Statue of Liberty - 4th Sep 2015 7:04pm
Originally Posted by eddtheduck
If it blocks the view of the new Museum of Liverpool it's a good thing lol

im with you on that one!

Posted By: Habdab Re: Liverpool's answer to the Statue of Liberty - 6th Sep 2015 7:00pm
That Clown cost a fortune (£22,000). There's a so-called artist somewhere laughing all the way to the bank.
Posted By: granny Re: Liverpool's answer to the Statue of Liberty - 6th Sep 2015 10:18pm
Most people laugh every time they pass it, thinking 'what was that all about ? '

Whoever passed the plans for that thing shouldn't shout about it, if they have any sense at all !
Posted By: keef666 Re: Liverpool's answer to the Statue of Liberty - 9th Sep 2015 7:02am
We have homeless people living on our streets, food banks and people working for sod all wages and yet can throw millions on shit they call art!
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Liverpool's answer to the Statue of Liberty - 9th Sep 2015 8:11am
That's life!!!!
Remember the "Birkenhead column" which was supposed to be an artificial tornado located in the docks and reaching the stratosphere? It was supposed to 'Put Birkenhead on the map". The generator of this thing was a ridiculous small barge with a load of steam jets.

Anyone who has read anything about tornados will know that they are extremely energy hungry and there is no way it could have worked. And a good thing too! A real tornado that high would have sucked the whole of Birkenhead off the map rather than putting ot on the thing. When they tried it, guess what! It didn't work!

What did work, however was the bank transfer of £250,000 of your money and mine from the council to the 'artist'.

© Wirral-Wikiwirral