Forums
Posted By: granny Travel Disruption - 10th Aug 2015 4:09pm
Including the railways.

Propane tanker fire shuts M56 motorway near Manchester

A tanker carrying propane gas has caught fire, shutting the M56 motorway near Manchester, with trains and air travel also affected.

Firefighters are tackling the lorry fire, which started just before 15:00 BST between junctions 12 and 15.

Cheshire Fire and Rescue Service is attending the blaze on the westbound carriageway near Stanlow and Frodsham.

A cordon has been set up and motorists are being evacuated from their vehicles and moved to a safe distance.

The road is closed in both directions and drivers are advised to avoid the area. Air traffic control has been advised of the incident.

Trains have been stopped on the lines between Manchester and Chester, and Ellesmere Port and Helsby. The Liverpool to Runcorn train line is also closed.

Residents in the Helsby, Hapsford and Elton are advised to stay indoors and close their windows and doors.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-33854932
Posted By: j_demo Re: Travel Disruption - 10th Aug 2015 8:52pm
How come the trains were off??
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Travel Disruption - 10th Aug 2015 8:59pm
Rail line runs about 200m parallel to the motorway at Stanlow, it also crosses it between junction 12 and 14.
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Travel Disruption - 11th Aug 2015 12:18am
From the pictures and what Calor have said it looks like it was an engine fire, but then the top pressure release vent opened as the gas tank heated up sending a large flame upwards.
Posted By: MikeT Re: Travel Disruption - 11th Aug 2015 7:43am
I went through the Wallasey tunnel about 7.30pm, traffic was backed up as far as I could see and they had the barriers up and were waving traffic through without collecting tolls.

Some idiots still stopped and put their money in the basket though, then sat there like numpties wondering why the barrier was already up, holding up the queue behind them... What is WRONG with these people? idiot idiot idiot idiot idiot idiot
Posted By: Excoriator Re: Travel Disruption - 11th Aug 2015 7:50am
I assume the driver escaped uninjured. I hope so anyway.

This was not mentioned in any of the news coverage I saw, being forgotten about in the extensive coverage of the inconvenience to motorists.
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Travel Disruption - 11th Aug 2015 9:19am
Yes, the driver was fine.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral