Forums
Posted By: Excoriator Someone in the river? - 9th Aug 2015 7:53am
There was a great deal of activity around 3 a.m. this morning on the river off Rock and New Ferry. Search and rescue helicopter, coastguard RIBs whizzing about and people on shore looking out over the river.

I assume someone had fallen in. I hope they were rescued, but in pitch darkness the odds against it seem tragically high.
Posted By: snowhite Re: Someone in the river? - 9th Aug 2015 11:13am
Anymore news on this?
Posted By: Wally1 Re: Someone in the river? - 9th Aug 2015 12:40pm
I've looked and cannot see anything so far.
Posted By: starakita Re: Someone in the river? - 9th Aug 2015 1:22pm
I've just got back from New Brighton,coastguards were doing an excersise on the beach but on the way home the three cars came out of Magazine rd blue lights & sirens going.They were heading towards Secombe,didn't see where they turned off though
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Someone in the river? - 10th Aug 2015 12:26am
Just someone climbed up the crane to take some photographs, he had climbed down by the time the emergency services arrived but was still taken to hospital.

SOURCE
Posted By: Gibbo Re: Someone in the river? - 10th Aug 2015 10:56am
Failed urbexer!
Posted By: Excoriator Re: Someone in the river? - 10th Aug 2015 9:17pm
Originally Posted by diggingdeeper
Just someone climbed up the crane to take some photographs, he had climbed down by the time the emergency services arrived but was still taken to hospital.

SOURCE

I think that was a separate incident. It happened in the afternoon, not at dead of night. I've not heard anything more about the night-time incident. I suppose it could have been an exercise, or maybe an attempt to catch drug smugglers.
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Someone in the river? - 10th Aug 2015 9:25pm
1.30pm to 2.30pm is afternoon wink
Posted By: bazzoh Re: Someone in the river? - 14th Aug 2015 5:13pm
https://www.facebook.com/hoylake.coastguard/posts/479110582249886

;-)
Also, it was the police helicopter not a search and rescue one, and the boat belonged to merseysde fire and rescue service- the coastguard don't actually have boats as such - hope this helps!
Posted By: Excoriator Re: Someone in the river? - 15th Aug 2015 6:22pm
Thanks for that Bazzoh!

It is not the first time there have been rescues of people stuck in the mud. The last one a few years back involved a helicopter, three fire engines, two ambulances, numerous police cars, a mobile control centre truck and another serving tea.

The victim that time was simply lying in the mud and refusing to be rescued. Clearly he was either very drunk or suicidal or both. They got him to hospital in the end thaough. It's good to know the victim survived this time too.
Posted By: bazzoh Re: Someone in the river? - 15th Aug 2015 7:14pm
No trouble! Feel free to like and share the page, it details pretty much every job we attend..
© Wirral-Wikiwirral