Forums
Posted By: OxtonHill Proposed new Lidl store for Birkenhead - 9th Jul 2015 2:10pm
Apologies if posted previous

Attached picture 11696352_10153504272634809_7322930291340751583_o.jpg
Posted By: Gibbo Re: Proposed new Lidl store for Birkenhead - 10th Jul 2015 11:02am
Should nicely add a bit of extra congestion to an already busy crossroads.

There have been times I've come up Oxton Road wanting to turn to Balls Road and only one or two cars have been able to get through the lights, with traffic queuing down to Marriots.
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Proposed new Lidl store for Birkenhead - 10th Jul 2015 12:38pm
Likewise the queue up Balls Road from Borough Road gets out of hand at busy times. Two or more cars waiting to turn right down Oxton Road blocks the main flow of traffic.

Other than the traffic problems it would be a good location for a Lidl other than the local independent shops will suffer.

Does anyone know why the original Birkenhead Lidl closed?
Posted By: peodude Re: Proposed new Lidl store for Birkenhead - 10th Jul 2015 7:19pm
More pictures @ http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/birkenhead-lidl-first-look-5m-9627856

There was no original Lidl was there? Just the Netto, which closed when Asda took over.
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Proposed new Lidl store for Birkenhead - 10th Jul 2015 8:17pm
Was it Netto was it - I just remembered the yellow colour and now you mention it I remember Asda bought them out - but I believe they are coming back to UK
Posted By: mezmrz Re: Proposed new Lidl store for Birkenhead - 15th May 2017 3:11pm
Does anyone know when this store is due to open?
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Proposed new Lidl store for Birkenhead - 15th May 2017 4:01pm
Originally Posted by mezmrz
Does anyone know when this store is due to open?

Got to be soon, they've rolled back the date from December 2016 to Spring 2017. I'm sure they are going to have to do some work with the roads, they are already a nightmare at certain times (Oxton Road, Balls Road, Borough Road junctions).

The new Bromborough one is well on its way perhaps they are opening both around the same time to make the logistics a bit more economical.
Posted By: mezmrz Re: Proposed new Lidl store for Birkenhead - 15th May 2017 5:25pm
Thanks for the reply. I actually rang Lidl customer service while waiting for a post back on here and was surprised to be told it would be opening August 2017!
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Proposed new Lidl store for Birkenhead - 15th May 2017 5:42pm
Thanks for letting us know thumbsup
Posted By: jimbob Re: Proposed new Lidl store for Birkenhead - 15th May 2017 6:06pm
I thought it is Aldi not Lidl that is been built in Bromborough { on the road where Stork Margarine use to be }
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Proposed new Lidl store for Birkenhead - 15th May 2017 6:17pm
Originally Posted by jimbob
I thought it is Aldi not Lidl that is been built in Bromborough { on the road where Stork Margarine use to be }

Yes, I always get the two mixed up, both four letters long with 3 of the same letters
Posted By: jimbob Re: Proposed new Lidl store for Birkenhead - 16th May 2017 6:45pm
showing your age I think, he he
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Proposed new Lidl store for Birkenhead - 16th May 2017 10:01pm
showing your age I think, he he

Aye, burnt out at 21, the first time, second time and nearly the third oldman
Posted By: venice Re: Proposed new Lidl store for Birkenhead - 17th May 2017 4:13pm
A mere stripling yet DD smile
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Proposed new Lidl store for Birkenhead - 17th May 2017 4:18pm
Originally Posted by venice
A mere stripling yet DD smile

My memory is deteriorating much faster than my temple like body (there are a lot of decrepit temples in the world).
Posted By: DavidB Re: Proposed new Lidl store for Birkenhead - 18th Jun 2017 4:11pm
Lidl said it was delighted with the response so far and is now sending out forms to around 2,500 homes to ask for their views.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: mezmrz Re: Proposed new Lidl store for Birkenhead - 19th Jan 2018 4:13pm
the Echo headline in this link sums up my frustration about this store still not yet open..

(does anybody know if there are any updates since this article?)

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/new-supermarket-ever-finished-13923746
Posted By: hueyblueshoe Re: Proposed new Lidl store for Birkenhead - 20th Jan 2018 9:14pm
Opening on February 15th I believe. No idea why it's taken so long !
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Proposed new Lidl store for Birkenhead - 21st Jan 2018 1:31am
Crazy that the shopping trolleys were in the car park way before Christmas
Posted By: dustymclean Re: Proposed new Lidl store for Birkenhead - 21st Jan 2018 12:41pm
I was told, so basically gossip. The whole floor inside had to be redone because it was not up to spec.
Lidl, Birkenhead opening on Thursday 22nd February, let the chaos on the surrounding roads ensue!
Posted By: belmont19 Re: Proposed new Lidl store for Birkenhead - 12th Feb 2018 12:05pm
Originally Posted by diggingdeeper

Yes, I always get the two mixed up, both four letters long with 3 of the same letters

Aldi and Lidl were opened in Europe many years ago by two Brothers who I believe fell out and went their own ways one Opened Aldi the other Lidl ,could be just hearsay but I think it may have a grain of truth init.
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Proposed new Lidl store for Birkenhead - 12th Feb 2018 12:26pm
Originally Posted by belmont19
Aldi and Lidl were opened in Europe many years ago by two Brothers who I believe fell out and went their own ways one Opened Aldi the other Lidl ,could be just hearsay but I think it may have a grain of truth init.

A mixture of fact and fiction (as you guessed), it was Aldi that split in two over a dispute between the two brothers as to whether to sell cigarettes or not (Aldi Nord and Aldi Sud). Lidl is completely separate.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral