Forums
Posted By: RUDEBOX Norovirus Outbreak A.P.H - 23rd Mar 2015 3:15pm
http://www.wirralglobe.co.uk/news/1...s_visitor_ban_at_five_Arrowe_Park_wards/

VISITORS have been banned from five wards at Arrowe Park Hospital after an outbreak of vomiting bug Norovirus

Restrictions have been put in place “until further notice” on wards 21, 24, 25, 26 and 27 of the hospital in a bid to stop the spread of the illness.

A spokesman for Wirral University Teaching Hospital NHS Trust – which operates Arrowe Park – said: “There has been an increase in the number of people coming into our emergency department with symptoms of Norovirus.

“We are aware that this highly contagious sickness bug is currently in the local community. It can be spread very easily both by contact with someone who has the virus but also by contact with surfaces and items they have touched.”
Posted By: venice Re: Norovirus Outbreak A.P.H - 23rd Mar 2015 6:11pm
I dont think enough importance is placed on using the disinfectant hand gels. Ive done a stack of visiting over the last 2 years in 20 and 21 and watched whilst hanging round, out of interest/boredom to see who gels their hands on entering/leaving . Answer about one in five . You ring the bell , its answered and door opens, but no-one looks to see if you do your hands (or indeed to see if you're Freddie Kruger brandishing a knife for that matter). Regularly seen Drs and nurses passing the dispensers by too after entering ,and even leaving after attending to patients. Even people who use the gel just seem to give their hands a token swipe against each other instead of the recommended time. Seems a shame when Norovirus is so debilitating and unpleasant for all concerned.Its not the total answer of course, but its bound to help.
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Norovirus Outbreak A.P.H - 23rd Mar 2015 6:23pm
I agree Venice. I too have spent time on Hand Gel Watch- very few use them.

Norovirus is awful- would not wish it on anybody.
Posted By: ManxCat Re: Norovirus Outbreak A.P.H - 23rd Mar 2015 7:31pm
There has been a virus problem for the past couple of weeks which has spread.

Visiting is restricted on certain wards that are affected to one visitor per patient but this is now down the ward staff. You are asked to wear a plastic apron and hand wash if visiting a patient who may have moved a side room due to infection.

Posted By: missmahjong Re: Norovirus Outbreak A.P.H - 23rd Mar 2015 8:32pm
I have to say , i agree that people do not seem to use the hand gel at Arrowe but working at Clatterbridge it IS USED BY STAFF AND PATIENTS, because part of my job is to replace them ,so i know how many are used in a week ,at least on my area,maybe because of Cancer Unit and Wards but it SHOULD be used more ...
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Norovirus Outbreak A.P.H - 23rd Mar 2015 8:58pm
Oh Missy, the irony of people using the provided Hand Gel on a Cancer Unit...... I apologise if my comment offends anybody, not intended to.
Posted By: GeeMeister Re: Norovirus Outbreak A.P.H - 23rd Mar 2015 9:12pm
I must admit Rudebox but it sounds like you have written off cancer patients as a lost cause. Missmahjong I fail to see how replacing a lot of gell equates to all staff and patients using them. Some people may use 3mg, others 10mg and some none at all. How can you tell each and everyone uses it?
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Norovirus Outbreak A.P.H - 23rd Mar 2015 9:29pm
Originally Posted by GeeMeister
I must admit Rudebox but it sounds like you have written off cancer patients as a lost cause.
Hence my advance apology G.
Posted By: GeeMeister Re: Norovirus Outbreak A.P.H - 23rd Mar 2015 9:38pm
No worries Rude, i think i get your humour by now, no offence taken here
Posted By: missmahjong Re: Norovirus Outbreak A.P.H - 23rd Mar 2015 9:38pm
Replacing hand gels alot SHOWS, they are being used ,you are meant to use 2 pumps, i DO see staff and patients using them on my shift.Maybe NOT everyone do's but on the whole the are used ..Not done a survey as such...
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Norovirus Outbreak A.P.H - 23rd Mar 2015 9:43pm
Originally Posted by missmahjong
Replacing hand gels alot SHOWS, they are being used ,you are meant to use 2 pumps, i DO see staff and patients using them on my shift.Maybe NOT everyone do's but on the whole the are used ..Not done a survey as such...
I feel an FOI coming on..... Clatterbridge v APH handbag
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Norovirus Outbreak A.P.H - 23rd Mar 2015 9:44pm
No worries Rude, i think i get your humour by now, no offence taken here
thumbsup
Posted By: GeeMeister Re: Norovirus Outbreak A.P.H - 23rd Mar 2015 9:45pm
Sorry Miss' I was just showing how easy it is to be pedantic. Keep up the good work - no, that isn't sarcasm.
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Norovirus Outbreak A.P.H - 23rd Mar 2015 9:53pm
Has anybody here had Norovirus before?

Awful, awful, awful....I pood liquid water, as clear as glass. Nothing left to lose. Sorry, TMI but it is horrid.

God help those, who are already ill. frown
Posted By: cools Re: Norovirus Outbreak A.P.H - 23rd Mar 2015 9:59pm
The statistics speak for themselves as regards infection control At CB and AP. CB has a really good record compared to AP, but if course AP is considerably bigger and harder to control.
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Norovirus Outbreak A.P.H - 23rd Mar 2015 10:03pm
Unsung heroes- missy and cools!!!xx
Posted By: cools Re: Norovirus Outbreak A.P.H - 23rd Mar 2015 10:08pm
I,m retired now Rude, but yes I think I was and Missy and all others work very hard to maintain and do their very best . Keep up the good work Missy.
Posted By: venice Re: Norovirus Outbreak A.P.H - 23rd Mar 2015 11:33pm
I have learned your humour too Rude wink and I agree, superficially it does sound ironic, but in reality I think they work on the basis that the treatments wreck your immune system leaving you at very very high risk of picking up germs, more so than on many other wards,so everyone is really on their toes with the gels. (or on their hands at least !!)
Posted By: GeeMeister Re: Norovirus Outbreak A.P.H - 23rd Mar 2015 11:36pm
They don't refer to it as Jurassic Park for nothing......
Posted By: GeeMeister Re: Norovirus Outbreak A.P.H - 24th Mar 2015 1:27am
Rudebox, you forgot to mention the vile smell of your bodily fluids! Most definately not nice. Washing one's hands along with other control measures is the most effective way to prevent the spread of infections.
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Norovirus Outbreak A.P.H - 24th Mar 2015 3:37pm
http://www.wirralglobe.co.uk/news/1..._Park_Hospital_after_norovirus_outbreak/
Posted By: colette_clarke Re: Norovirus Outbreak A.P.H - 25th Mar 2015 7:42pm
I was at gynae yesterday at AP, today I am sick as a pig, I hope it's not related to the virus!
Posted By: GeeMeister Re: Norovirus Outbreak A.P.H - 25th Mar 2015 7:46pm
If it is you will know soon enough! I've got my eyes crossed that it isn,t
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Norovirus Outbreak A.P.H - 25th Mar 2015 7:52pm
Originally Posted by colette_clarke
I was at gynae yesterday at AP, today I am sick as a pig, I hope it's not related to the virus!
I'm not well today, either. Not Norovirus though!! Believe me- you would know about it if you had it!! Hope you feel better soon.
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Norovirus Outbreak A.P.H - 25th Mar 2015 7:54pm
They don't refer to it as Jurassic Park for nothing......
Or the ending of Guesthouse Paradiso
Posted By: colette_clarke Re: Norovirus Outbreak A.P.H - 25th Mar 2015 8:11pm
thanks folks I don't think it is. I had a B12 shot yesterday too. prob reaction to that. I did however use the hand gel several times from going in there to leaving..
Posted By: Christo Re: Norovirus Outbreak A.P.H - 29th Mar 2015 9:46pm
I took my friend up to APH on Friday evening, 1st Floor, Medical Admissions, together with her baby daughter. We were immediately advised by staff of the outbreak and advised that myself and my friend's baby should wait in Reception.

Whilst there (for a period of some 2.5 hours), I did notice that Cleaning Staff appeared to be spending a lot of time congregating at Reception, chatting. One would have thought that, at a time like this, it would be a case of "all hands to the pumps".

As an aside, I am married to a many years serving member of staff, both at APH and Clatterbridge, who often informs me that " it was never like this with Matrons on the wards".

Progress? One wonders.
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Norovirus Outbreak A.P.H - 30th Mar 2015 8:29pm
Any update?
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Norovirus Outbreak A.P.H - 24th Feb 2016 4:37pm
And visiting suspended again at APH.

A bit confusing whether the articles are talking about A&E or visiting?

SOURCE
Posted By: fish5133 Re: Norovirus Outbreak A.P.H - 24th Feb 2016 6:42pm
Well Hospitals are places ill people go--its no wonder things spread.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral