Forums
Posted By: Wally1 Road Barriers - Kings Parade/Coastal Drive - 20th Jan 2015 1:44am
Road closure barriers have been installed at several
sites along Coastal Drive/Kings Parade. They are like
single arm level crossing gates. Anyone have any information
on them or their purpose?
Posted By: davew3 Re: Road Barriers - Kings Parade/Coastal Drive - 20th Jan 2015 7:49am
Seen them yesterday, I was wondering the same, seems the council has lots of money to spare so when they shout poverty we can give them the two finger salute.
Posted By: Gibbo Re: Road Barriers - Kings Parade/Coastal Drive - 20th Jan 2015 9:32am
To make it easier to close the prom when there's a high tide?
Posted By: AdamS Re: Road Barriers - Kings Parade/Coastal Drive - 20th Jan 2015 12:18pm
Gibbo is exactly right, they are in order to safely close the roads in the event of overtopping.
Posted By: pacef8 Re: Road Barriers - Kings Parade/Coastal Drive - 20th Jan 2015 12:54pm
Likely to happen this end of the week with a 10.2 mtr tide forcast.
Posted By: Gibbo Re: Road Barriers - Kings Parade/Coastal Drive - 20th Jan 2015 2:31pm
IIRC the police were there a fortnight last Saturday ready to close the road (but didn't).

I suppose if there's an order to close it would be cheaper and quicker for a single copper or council worker to go down and drop the barriers than for police to guard the roads.
Posted By: Wally1 Re: Road Barriers - Kings Parade/Coastal Drive - 20th Jan 2015 4:09pm
Thanks for information. I wonder if they
will make them more visible if used at
night?
Posted By: Santos Re: Road Barriers - Kings Parade/Coastal Drive - 20th Jan 2015 8:50pm
Originally Posted by Wally1
night?

My thoughts entirely. You can just imagine the carnage that would be caused if a car hit one of those at high speed. Saw them today and there appears to be no provision for lighting at all for any of them.
Originally Posted by Santos
night?

My thoughts entirely. You can just imagine the carnage that would be caused if a car hit one of those at high speed. Saw them today and there appears to be no provision for lighting at all for any of them.

As the speed limit along there is 30mph there should be no 'highspeed'
Posted By: katter Re: Road Barriers - Kings Parade/Coastal Drive - 20th Jan 2015 11:07pm
DOH!!! they are there to stop traffic driving down what might be a flooded road and dangerous driving conditions. If they were not there and we had the carnage of the high tide floods last year, you would all be posting "why didn't the council put up road blocks" posts.
Posted By: HansG Re: Road Barriers - Kings Parade/Coastal Drive - 20th Jan 2015 11:34pm
Exactly.

Too many people enjoy the sound of their own voices. Moaning gets.
Posted By: saltytom Re: Road Barriers - Kings Parade/Coastal Drive - 21st Jan 2015 7:06am
Just a thought if it is a traffic management system it needs a planning application also signage lighting ,road markings etc.

I would guess it is an effort to deter people driving on the dips.

Posted By: Santos Re: Road Barriers - Kings Parade/Coastal Drive - 21st Jan 2015 2:16pm
Originally Posted by Softy_Southerner
Originally Posted by Santos
night?

As the speed limit along there is 30mph there should be no 'highspeed'

You have obviously never met the boy racers !!!!!!!!!!
Posted By: HansG Re: Road Barriers - Kings Parade/Coastal Drive - 21st Jan 2015 4:12pm
Fingers crossed they hit the barriers at a damaging speed then...
Posted By: CVCVCV Re: Road Barriers - Kings Parade/Coastal Drive - 21st Jan 2015 4:43pm
I just can't help thinking it's rather a sign of the times... the Prom. has been there for somewhere near 85 years and all of a sudden, we desperately need barriers put up, to protect people from the waves? Are we all that stupid, these days, that we need the Nanny State to "protect" us from ourselves? (don't answer that - I think I already know!)
Posted By: Mark Re: Road Barriers - Kings Parade/Coastal Drive - 21st Jan 2015 4:48pm
Could it be anything to do with possible paid parking in the summer.

Not seen the barriers so i could be very wrong.
Posted By: katter Re: Road Barriers - Kings Parade/Coastal Drive - 21st Jan 2015 11:06pm
It would be seen as emergency measures and wont require permissions. Just like an emergency vehicle putting its flashing lights on. If you want to go down and see if it floods be my guest.
Posted By: katter Re: Road Barriers - Kings Parade/Coastal Drive - 21st Jan 2015 11:13pm
Dear me! Is it only two people on the Wirral who have common sense and the moan generator turned off?
Posted By: ianbx1 Re: Road Barriers - Kings Parade/Coastal Drive - 23rd Jan 2015 9:37pm
I have in the past, often seen people moving the cones put in place to stop people going on the prom by the dips when it is considered too rough, so they could drive through the waves or drive there to get a better look. It became so bad that the Police have been forced to park at each of the roundabouts to enforce this. Remember, when it all goes wrong and the fools come to grief it's the emergency services or the volunteer lifeboat crews that will have to step in and put their lives at risk to help them. Also, please note that the roads around the dips belong to the council, which is why they can shut them for prom stages racing etc, so don't need to ask to anyone put road blocks up. Call it a nanny state if you like but if we have to sit coppers there to save people from themselves, I call that a waste of money. People today seem to have loads of 'Rights' but very little sense or responsibility.

Rant over and breathhhhhhhh
Posted By: CVCVCV Re: Road Barriers - Kings Parade/Coastal Drive - 24th Jan 2015 10:20pm
Oh come on, for Pete's sake, no-one is going to die or need the emergency services, from being soaked by a wave coming over the sea wall!! Has ANYONE, ever?????
This sure seems to be the Nanny State at work yet again... and I for one, am utterly FED UP with people in power WASTING finite and valuable resources (money) that could be MUCH better spent elsewhere (or better, SAVED and not spent at all!), on STUPID things like this.
Originally Posted by CVCVCV
Oh come on, for Pete's sake, no-one is going to die or need the emergency services, from being soaked by a wave coming over the sea wall!! Has ANYONE, ever?????
This sure seems to be the Nanny State at work yet again... and I for one, am utterly FED UP with people in power WASTING finite and valuable resources (money) that could be MUCH better spent elsewhere (or better, SAVED and not spent at all!), on STUPID things like this.

If these barriers are anything to do with the high tides then they will almost certainly be trying to protect people's council tax being wasted on claims. There are too many people that manage to blow the tiniest incident into a compensation claim - drive through the waves, car gets scratched, council hadn't done enough to stop driver going through.............. claim for new car / paint job.
The council then have to prove that they did everything possible to stop these numpties putting themselves at risk or the claim is a done deal.
Don't have a go at the council, how many people do we all know who think it is perfectly acceptable to claim for a trip, bad back, scratched car at the drop of a hat ensuring that anyone is responsible for these 'accidents' except themselves.
Posted By: ianbx1 Re: Road Barriers - Kings Parade/Coastal Drive - 25th Jan 2015 11:12am
CVCVCV The cost saving is in NOT having to sit a copper at every roundabout to stop fools from driving along the prom, you are quite correct that up until now nobody has been drowned on the prom, sat in their car BUT whether you like it or not d_ckheads still have to be protected from themselves because when it does go wrong, then everyone will say "Why didn't the council do something about this?". My feelings would always be "It's your own stupid fault" but I'm not a High Court Judge, Corroner or 'Claimes for You' ambulance chaser. My only worry about this is that when they introducce charging on the Marien lake end of New Brighton, they will shut these gates (as they do in places like Swanage) to stop us using the dips roadways as free alternative parking.......
Posted By: Gibbo Re: Road Barriers - Kings Parade/Coastal Drive - 26th Jan 2015 10:50am
I've driven along there when a massive wave has gone over the wall and really hit the windscreen with some force and its taken a few seconds for the deluge of water to be cleared.

In that time its theoretically possible for me to crash or hit someone. I think removing the risk isn't a bad idea.
Posted By: starakita Re: Road Barriers - Kings Parade/Coastal Drive - 26th Jan 2015 4:12pm
I've been down there after a high tide & the amount of debris that's been thrown up like rocks,bricks & tree branches so driving down there with a high tide is likely to cause a smashed windscreen
Posted By: CVCVCV Re: Road Barriers - Kings Parade/Coastal Drive - 26th Jan 2015 5:57pm
This is just one more example of how our freedom is eroded, one little tiny bit at a time. Instead of fixing the problem of frivolous law-suits, ambulance chasers, etc, we all have to be cocooned in bubble-wrap. It's insidious but you only have to read above to see how "accepting" of it we have, and don't realize we have, become.
Posted By: Gibbo Re: Road Barriers - Kings Parade/Coastal Drive - 27th Jan 2015 10:37am
Originally Posted by starakita
I've been down there after a high tide & the amount of debris that's been thrown up like rocks,bricks & tree branches so driving down there with a high tide is likely to cause a smashed windscreen

Good point. I've got a picture somewhere of the car park at Crosby after high tide, its full of bricks!
© Wirral-Wikiwirral