Forums
Posted By: jimbob voting registration notice - 10th Jan 2015 5:08pm
Received in the post from the Electoral Registration Officer
a form confirming voter registration 2014 and asking me to check that that the details in this letter about who is registered to vote at this address.
Question I ask is has the format of your first name been your Christian name and you last name been your Surname altered in this country. The letter shows my first name as my Surname and my Christian name been my last name.
Posted By: granny Re: voting registration notice - 10th Jan 2015 6:06pm
'Christian' names went out with the Cultural Diversity strategy, a number of years ago. Probably early 2000's . Replaced by 'First Name'. No doubt because there aren't many who would want to be recognised as Christians, in this country now.

As for the 'Surname' , it could be an extension of the same principles, and could be the reason why so many baby 'Mohammed's were born last year. Mohammed's have another name also but write their first names as Mohammed.... which in our culture would be our second or Surname.

If that makes sense, and please note 'could be', as it's just a suggestion.

It would be wise to call them and ask, as I imagine you don't want to change your identity. laugh
Posted By: Salmon Re: voting registration notice - 10th Jan 2015 7:40pm
We got that form today in same format and as it says on the letter I went online to see if I could correct it. Surprise,surprise all details are correct. Looks like the form they have sent out is wrong and on Monday their phone lines will explode with folk (including me)ringing them.
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: voting registration notice - 10th Jan 2015 8:58pm
I really do not see the 'issue'. Are we not listed that way on the list at the polling station?
Posted By: Greenwood Re: voting registration notice - 10th Jan 2015 11:39pm
I imagine the 'surname first' format is simply because, if you have people with more than one surname living at the same address, that makes it easier to sort them out?
Posted By: sonylegs Re: voting registration notice - 10th Jan 2015 11:48pm
Mine always calls me "The Occupier".
Posted By: snowhite Re: voting registration notice - 11th Jan 2015 12:04am
Originally Posted by sonylegs
Mine always calls me "The Occupier".
same here.
Posted By: Salmon Re: voting registration notice - 11th Jan 2015 8:21am
The envelope is addressed to the occupier. The letter enclosed has three columns headed;
First Name , Last Name, The way you have chosen to vote.

Under first name e.g is Jones and under 2nd name is Davy

The first two columns are clearly incorrect.
Posted By: Greenwood Re: voting registration notice - 11th Jan 2015 9:03am
Ah, I see! Yes, someone has goofed, haven't they! Slap on the wrist for the proof-reader... oh wait, they probably haven't got one any more due to cuts. Hmph.
Posted By: dizdazdoz Re: voting registration notice - 11th Jan 2015 12:05pm
Dont see an issue really, yes a mess up but sure they will know and rectify, presume you are registered if names are correct (even if wrong way round).

Dont understand what loads of people phoning will achieve?
Posted By: BandyCoot Re: voting registration notice - 11th Jan 2015 12:34pm
Originally Posted by dizdazdoz
Dont see an issue really, yes a mess up but sure they will know and rectify, presume you are registered if names are correct (even if wrong way round).

Dont understand what loads of people phoning will achieve?

Someone is being paid a good salary and going to get a good pension. All he/she has to do is do the job properly and get it right. When you're dealing with beurocrats it's the fact that they will bomb you out if the forms aren't filled in correctly as laid down in their manual. You could turn up to vote and be barred because it's not exactly as laid down. If you don't want to check yours then fill your boots, leave those who want to make sure to do so.
Posted By: dizdazdoz Re: voting registration notice - 11th Jan 2015 12:48pm
I vote every time, I honestly don't think it's a BIG issue.

I still fail to see how if everyone phones to complain what it achieves?

Posted By: sonylegs Re: voting registration notice - 11th Jan 2015 4:00pm
Originally Posted by Salmon
The envelope is addressed to the occupier. The letter enclosed has three columns headed;
First Name , Last Name, The way you have chosen to vote.

Under first name e.g is Jones and under 2nd name is Davy

The first two columns are clearly incorrect.

Just dug it out the bin, I shall always be nameless :-)

Attached picture IMG_0002.JPG
Posted By: jimbob Re: voting registration notice - 11th Jan 2015 4:34pm
Some in there comments are saying they don't see an issue.The form does not state surname, be it first or last. That's the issue.
Posted By: sonylegs Re: voting registration notice - 11th Jan 2015 4:48pm
Goto
https://www.gov.uk/register-to-vote
and add your name the way it will accept it.
Posted By: Greenwood Re: voting registration notice - 12th Jan 2015 4:57pm
I had a reply to my email which stated that it is just a printing error on the letter (DUH... wake up, people!) and the details on the register itself are correct, so no problem.
Posted By: granny Re: voting registration notice - 13th Jan 2015 3:12pm
It is a problem because they got it wrong, at quite a cost and if the names need changing will the website accept them the right or wrong way. We won't know which is the right or wrong way .
PLUS - the fact that the forms are not to be sent back if they are incorrect and/or need changing the changes are to be made via the interne. How many do not have internet access and if they don't, what happens then ?

This is what the official staff get paid for .......remarkable !

For those who don't think it to be an issue, would you have the same opinion if it was your medical records ? It could result in wrong treatment for a wrong diagnosis.
Posted By: jimbob Re: voting registration notice - 13th Jan 2015 6:22pm
well put granny
© Wirral-Wikiwirral