Forums
Posted By: Greenwood Libraries threatened again... - 22nd Dec 2014 11:25am
The Echo today (22 Dec) has an article stating that the cut in hours will take effect from 12th January... so much for consultation, and giving libraries influence over which hours they open! See if you can help your local library to fight this in any way.
http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/row-over-stingy-wirral-library-8327555
Posted By: pepe26 Re: Libraries threatened again... - 22nd Dec 2014 7:58pm
Wirral labour council will do what they want and will laugh in the faces of the needy in May u may want to vote for change not what your dad voted for !
Posted By: Greenwood Re: Libraries threatened again... - 22nd Dec 2014 9:43pm
*chortle* At 62 I think I am well past voting for what my Dad votes for!
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Libraries threatened again... - 22nd Dec 2014 10:23pm
Britain 2014- 500 libraries closed. Will be 1000 by 2016

Attached picture Library.jpg
Posted By: Greenwood Re: Libraries threatened again... - 23rd Dec 2014 9:02am
Ouch. Very true! Through libraries, lots of children have access to books that cash strapped parents couldn't afford to buy for them, even from the charity shops. Libraries are valuable for so many things.
Posted By: casper Re: Libraries threatened again... - 23rd Dec 2014 10:18am
This government doesnt want people to be educated, we have sunk so low that the main source of employment for the young is the service industries, everything we manufactured, built, transported the utilities have been sold, even our armed forces are up for hire, sorry for the rant folks it just bugs me to see the basics of a decent society being taken from us, the whole rotten bunch at Westminister, all parties need to take a long hard look at what we have become, we need to invest not take away.
Posted By: Bizzybee1 Re: Libraries threatened again... - 23rd Dec 2014 10:53am
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/e...ating-and-being-taken-to-the-toilet.html

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2014/dec/22/police-warning-job-cuts-austerity-labour-officers

Ah! the joys of voting tory.
Posted By: chriskay Re: Libraries threatened again... - 23rd Dec 2014 11:42am
Originally Posted by RUDEBOX
Britain 2014- 500 libraries closed. Will be 1000 by 2016

The idea that children need libraries in order to learn to read is ridiculous; once they can read, they should certainly have access to them.
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Libraries threatened again... - 24th Dec 2014 5:35pm

As a valued customer of Wirral’s libraries, it is important that we let you know that on December 15 at a meeting of Full Council, it was decided to implement a greatly reduced version of the savings proposal regarding community libraries.

Elected Members took this decision following the extensive consultation which took place over the past few months and after considering all of the feedback received.

The original savings proposal put forward was to reduce opening hours across the 15 community library sites to 10 hours per week. After considering the consultation feedback Members felt this proposal was too extreme and have therefore decided that hours should only reduce to 18 hours per week across community libraries, with central libraries and those with one stop shop facilities remaining unchanged.

The new opening hours will take effect as from Monday, 12 January 2015. You can find out the new opening hours for your library from our website:

www.wirral.gov.uk/libraries

We absolutely understand and appreciate the vital role libraries play in every community. However, we are under huge pressure to make savings across all Council services due to the unprecedented funding reductions we face.

Elected Members were once again faced with the hugely difficult task of deciding which savings options to implement and the representations, petitions and other feedback provided to them by ‘Friends of Library’ groups across Wirral convinced them to significantly scale back the original proposal.

We remain extremely keen to hear suggestions from Friends Groups and others for how the service can be run differently in the future, either through increased use of volunteers or through transferring services into community management or ownership.

Thank you for your ongoing support for this vital community service.
Posted By: pepe26 Re: Libraries threatened again... - 24th Dec 2014 7:01pm
Wirral council LABOUR RUN are behind Alll the short opening hours
Posted By: Bizzybee1 Re: Libraries threatened again... - 24th Dec 2014 7:18pm
Originally Posted by pepe26

No matter who the council is run by it is being strangled by a Conservative government. And so is every other council in the country.
Posted By: eddtheduck Re: Libraries threatened again... - 24th Dec 2014 7:44pm
not been in any Libraries since I left school, I think what put me off was the old woman who kept saying shhhh all the time and that you can know download most if not all the book/mags they have and the big thing is no late fees and I can be as loud as I want to be. tease
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Libraries threatened again... - 24th Dec 2014 8:05pm
Originally Posted by NickLeg
Originally Posted by pepe26

No matter who the council is run by it is being strangled by a Conservative government. And so is every other council in the country.
withthat The Zero Centre- provided services for Female and Child victims of D.V- GONE as of the New Year- due to Cuts. Child Centres in Hoylake- GONE. It's a disgrace.
Posted By: chriskay Re: Libraries threatened again... - 25th Dec 2014 3:44pm
I see that the Zero Centre is registered as a charity so it should have access to funds other than from the council. On its website, I see that it has applied for lottery funding. The European Union Social Fund and Lloyds TSB are also mentioned. As it seems to me to be an important service, I hope it gets funding from somewhere, but it's not solely a council responsibility. On the other hand, libraries are, but no doubt if the council proposed to increase Council Tax to fund them, there would be an outcry. The bottom line is, if you want services, you have to pay for them.
Posted By: Bizzybee1 Re: Libraries threatened again... - 25th Dec 2014 6:22pm
Originally Posted by chriskay
I see that the Zero Centre is registered as a charity so it should have access to funds other than from the council. On its website, I see that it has applied for lottery funding. The European Union Social Fund and Lloyds TSB are also mentioned. As it seems to me to be an important service, I hope it gets funding from somewhere, but it's not solely a council responsibility. On the other hand, libraries are, but no doubt if the council proposed to increase Council Tax to fund them, there would be an outcry. The bottom line is, if you want services, you have to pay for them.

So libraries should charge an entrance fee? Typical tory attitude.
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Libraries threatened again... - 25th Dec 2014 6:53pm
THE ZERO CENTRE (MERSEYSIDE) LTD
It is with regret and sadness we announce the closure of the Zero Centre (Merseyside) Ltd, based on Laird Street in Birkenhead. As Trustees we have endeavoured to avoid this outcome but are now faced with placing the organisation into voluntary liquidation.
The Zero Centre has been registered as a charity since 2001 and was the only non residential organisation in Wirral dedicated solely to support people and children experiencing domestic abuse. The staff have worked tirelessly to provide vital support to those in need and their passion and dedication has been outstanding.
Sadly due to continuing reduction in funding opportunities and rising overheads, we could no longer continue to provide this vital service.
We are currently in the process of closing down the Centre and can no longer offer any services for any clients. Current clients are being contacted by the team, risk assessed and signposted to other support services where appropriate.
Trustees

My understanding is that WBC provided some funding, at some point. I will not, however copy and post comments from Service users, Staff and Volunteers stating the same. #Toryscum #Cuts
Posted By: chriskay Re: Libraries threatened again... - 25th Dec 2014 10:50pm
Originally Posted by NickLeg

So libraries should charge an entrance fee? Typical tory attitude.

I didn't suggest that,(typical left wing reaction wink ) rather, that Council Tax should be increased to pay for the library service.
Posted By: granny Re: Libraries threatened again... - 26th Dec 2014 12:26am
The Zero Centre :Domestic abuse is something that I deplore and find harrowing to the core. In this instance, I think the council cannot be held responsible. There is of course only so much funding a council can give to a charity and the following is the reason for the centre having to close.
They joined Crowdfunder.co.uk in an attempt to raise enough funds to find new premises. Needing £3000.00, they have only managed to raise £725.00

http://www.crowdfunder.co.uk/a-new-home-for-zero-centre

Why do we need this money?

Sadly our current landlord wishes to sell our home of 15 years so we are forced to find new accommodation quickly to ensure lives continue to be saved. This will inevitably involve increased rent - up to £10,000 a year, and costs for legal work, removals and possibly refurbishment of the new building to suit our needs.

There is Wirral Women and Children's Aid that should be able to provide assistance when needed.

http://www.wirralwomensrefuge.co.uk/
24 hour HELPLINE
0151 643 9766

and

Teen Wirral..various contact numbers
http://www.teenwirral.com/advice-and-support/young-parents/domestic-violence

and

West Wirral Group Practice for a variety of support issues
http://www.westwirralgrouppractice.nhs.uk/healthadvicesupport/support.html
Posted By: granny Re: Libraries threatened again... - 26th Dec 2014 12:53am
The above is also the type of information libraries can provide. Many abused, only have a tiny window of opportunity to find the help they need. Once the chance is missed it can be a long time before another opportunity arises. Then giving those terrified people in vulnerable situations an even greater task to find any help, after they have eventually managed to pick up the courage to seek some help, is really not acceptable by any standards. There's no doubt that many would not even have access to computers or a telephone book.
Posted By: Greenwood Re: Libraries threatened again... - 28th Dec 2014 7:42pm
Very sad about the Zero centre - hope someone pulls a rabbit out of the hat for them, or they manage to join forces with some organisation with similar aims and help each other keep going. It seems that partnership approaches are sometimes the only way to stay afloat these days, when funding for individual organisations is becoming harder to find.
ps re libraries - new hours now to take effect from 2nd March, so more time to argue the toss, I fancy. Greasby had been offered 24 hours at one point, but that evaporated. Don't give up!
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Libraries threatened again... - 28th Dec 2014 9:42pm
Originally Posted by Greenwood

ps re libraries - new hours now to take effect from 2nd March, so more time to argue the toss, I fancy. Greasby had been offered 24 hours at one point, but that evaporated. Don't give up!

People could

Join Library
Use Library
Become a Friend of Branch Library

Just these actions would make a difference.

I was chatting to one of our Librarians from Seacombe Branch at the lobby of WBC, earlier this month.

First off, she is no longer a Librarian- but a volunteer there, these days frown It seems that Seacombe Library hours MAY not be cut-- only because it can be EVIDENCED how much the Library is used and the services available are utilised.

Damn right, Greenwood- Never Give Up!!!
© Wirral-Wikiwirral