Forums
Posted By: Mark Black Friday kicked off early - 28th Nov 2014 9:36am
[Linked Image]

The Black Friday queue at the Dingle Tesco at 11.45 last night. Olivia Rietdyk and Toni Schumacher.
Black Friday kicked off early with scores of people queuing outside a city supermarket just before midnight on Thursday.

Shoppers hoping to bag a bargain for Christmas started turning up at Tesco in Dingle early on to get ready for the store’s Black Friday event which began at one minute past midnight.

Sophie Jones, 19, from Dingle, got to Tesco at 8.30pm.

She told the ECHO: “I thought I’d come and get the Christmas presents in. I was buying for my mum, so I thought I’d have a little nose and see what Black Friday’s all about.The store let us in at midnight, there was quite a few people and the atmosphere was brilliant.”

Meanwhile, retailers were preparing for a shopping frenzy today as consumers buy their way to what is expected to be the UK’s biggest day of spending.

Almost half of UK shoppers (47%) say they intend to buy a Black Friday deal, according to retail analysts Verdict.

Although Amazon.co.uk introduced the UK to the event in 2010, local retailers have been quick to get involved. John Lewis has promised that its Never Knowingly Undersold commitment will remain in place subject to availability.

Click Me
Posted By: casper Re: Black Friday kicked off early - 28th Nov 2014 10:41am
Went on the Currys site, after a washing machine, no deals looks like they are dumping the stuff that they cant get rid of all the white goods they are selling are actually black in colour cookers, washers, dryers, fridges, went on John Lewis site looking for a radio as a pressie no change in their prices.
Posted By: granny Re: Black Friday kicked off early - 28th Nov 2014 10:48am
There seems to be a fare bit of trouble in various places this morning.
Rediculous ! We have sales every year in most stores, why are people fighting over Black Friday.?

Wasn't it something to do with the financial collapse in AMerica and companies being in the red ? Introducing black Firday put the companies back in the black, and the customers in the red laugh
That's the way they like it !

Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Black Friday kicked off early - 28th Nov 2014 12:30pm
No granny it's where they get rid of the old stock or stock they cannot sell.

Currys are selling Xbox 1 with 5 games for £279. Bargain? It's white, who wants a white Xbox?
Posted By: fish5133 Re: Black Friday kicked off early - 28th Nov 2014 12:38pm
Would like to think that all the people going today will make it less crowded when I go to just shop normally--I doubt it. Good luck to them-- it will make them feel happy for a while or disappointed they got nought
Posted By: Gibbo Re: Black Friday kicked off early - 28th Nov 2014 1:37pm
Madness. If they actually checked the reviews of some of the bargains they'd find them rubbish - especially the Polaroid branded stuff.
Posted By: starakita Re: Black Friday kicked off early - 28th Nov 2014 2:40pm
I just got £20 off the latest ipod touch in argos,only 16g one for my daughter for Christmas.She wanted something to listen to music on while she's on the bus going to & from school,she's on it for near enough an hour but she's not getting it till Christmas
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Black Friday kicked off early - 28th Nov 2014 3:11pm
From the scenes shown on the TV News, it looked looting! IDIOTS !!
Posted By: granny Re: Black Friday kicked off early - 28th Nov 2014 5:47pm
Originally Posted by granny
There seems to be a fare bit of trouble in various places this morning.
Rediculous ! We have sales every year in most stores, why are people fighting over Black Friday.?

Wasn't it something to do with the financial collapse in AMerica and companies being in the red ? Introducing black Firday put the companies back in the black, and the customers in the red laugh
That's the way they like it !

http://www.salon.com/2013/11/22/why_do_we_call_it_black_friday_newscred/

So where did the name Black Friday originate? How did the day after Thanksgiving (and now eating into Thanksgiving) become the biggest shopping day of the year? In the old days of hand-kept accounting records, red ink indicated a stores loss, and black ink signified a profit. The holiday shopping season is believed to be when stores move from the red to the black. It is said that 20-40 percent of a retailers annual revenue is generated in November and December.
Posted By: Mark Re: Black Friday kicked off early - 28th Nov 2014 5:58pm
I've known it as black Friday because its the last pay day before Christmas if your paid monthly that is.

Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Black Friday kicked off early - 28th Nov 2014 8:03pm
Consumerism gone crazy Made a point of using small local businesses today.

Im sick to death of hearing about it. On the bus, in the hairdressers, all over my emails......

I heard it was Black Friday because it is the day following Thanksgiving with lots of people being hospitalised for alcohol related injuries????
Posted By: mrhanky Re: Black Friday kicked off early - 28th Nov 2014 8:06pm
another stupid americanism, wonder how long until we start to celebrate thanks giving!!!!!
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Black Friday kicked off early - 28th Nov 2014 8:24pm
Originally Posted by mrhanky
another stupid americanism, wonder how long until we start to celebrate thanks giving!!!!!

We already are! On the Today programme (R4) a couple of days ago, a spokesman from the UK turkey producers said that turkey sales had rocketed on the run up to Thanksgiving Day for the last 3(?) years. This year is a record breaker.

Have a nice day y'all !! grin
Posted By: fish5133 Re: Black Friday kicked off early - 28th Nov 2014 8:27pm
just watched some of the fighting and scrambling at Tescos on the news--think I might just cut my Tesco card up post it back to them for being irresponsible given last years trouble. People getting trampled on--thought they would have learnt from Hillsborough
Posted By: cools Re: Black Friday kicked off early - 28th Nov 2014 8:30pm
Yeah I watched that too. Insanity! Don,t care how much I needed something would not go through that.Avoid this day like the plague!
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Black Friday kicked off early - 28th Nov 2014 8:46pm
Black Friday according to The Telegraph

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/...gest-online-shopping-day-in-history.html
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Black Friday kicked off early - 28th Nov 2014 9:49pm

Attached picture Tesco.jpg
Posted By: derekdwc Re: Black Friday kicked off early - 29th Nov 2014 11:43am
Are these companies selling these goods as lossleaders or older stock? Are they still making a profit - if so why don't they buy more and sell many more at the cheaper price than the rest of the year price.
Would help boost someones economy and maybe create more manufacturing jobs
Are we being ripped off with the normal prices
Posted By: granny Re: Black Friday kicked off early - 29th Nov 2014 12:09pm
Originally Posted by derekdwc
Are these companies selling these goods as lossleaders or older stock? Are they still making a profit - if so why don't they buy more and sell many more at the cheaper price than the rest of the year price.
Would help boost someones economy and maybe create more manufacturing jobs
Are we being ripped off with the normal prices

Still making a profit. Most retail items go on the shelf with 100% mark up (or more) plus VAT. The likes of the huge supermarkets will buy in bulk at reduced prices anyway, so their mark up is higher. If everything is cut by 50% , they still make a pretty profit, and so do the wholesalers.
One example on one single item that I noticed a few weeks ago. In Hallmark shop. One picture costing £49 the same picture was sold at origin for £7.50p !!!
Posted By: Gibbo Re: Black Friday kicked off early - 1st Dec 2014 11:08am
I was reading the reviews for the £99 Tesco Blaupunkt TV - yes that world leader in factory fit car stereos has decided to lend their name to third party manufactured inferior TVs - and many said the picture was OK but the sound was terrible!

© Wirral-Wikiwirral