Forums
Posted By: Mark Christmas car parking discounts - 7th Nov 2014 10:53am
Wirral Council is supporting shoppers and local businesses by cutting the cost of parking in council car parks throughout most of December.

From December 9*, all Council-operated car parks will operate a ‘Free After 3’ discount, giving residents and visitors the chance to go Christmas shopping without paying to park.

As well as parking being ‘Free After 3’, people will be able to park for ‘Free All Day’ at any Council-operated car parks on Boxing Day and New Year’s Day.

Cllr Stuart Whittingham, Cabinet Member for Highways and Transportation said: “As an authority we are committed to supporting our local town centres, and we recognise that Christmas is a particularly important time for shoppers and for local businesses. With this in mind, we are cutting the cost of parking in Council car parks and offering ‘Free After 3’ parking from December 9, and making parking on Boxing Day and New Year’s Day free all day.

“Increasing footfall in our town centres is a key aspect of our work to support traders and to make it easier and more affordable for people to access local goods and services.

“Shoppers will be able to use their local shops and town centres for their festive shopping knowing they won’t have to pay extra for parking their car after 3pm."

Paula Basnett, Chief Executive of Wirral Chamber of Commerce, said "This is excellent news for local retailers during the Christmas period. I am very pleased that the Council has introduced this parking concession and I hope that Wirral shoppers and indeed those from further afield take advantage of it to support local retailers."

Tonight’s Cabinet meeting heard that the scheme will be evaluated to assess the benefits with the results reported in the New Year.

The initiative applies to Council-operated car parks only; motorists will still have to pay for on-street parking in Birkenhead.

* The proposal will need to be endorsed by a meeting of the full Council on December 8, hence the December 9 start date.

Source : Click Me
Posted By: Mark Re: Christmas car parking discounts - 7th Nov 2014 10:54am
This isnt going to impress anyone.

I wonder if the machines will refuse the money after 3pm ?
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Christmas car parking discounts - 7th Nov 2014 11:24am
A hollow gesture.
Posted By: Gibbo Re: Christmas car parking discounts - 7th Nov 2014 12:01pm
I agree. People are Xmas shopping now, if not before.
Posted By: pepe26 Re: Christmas car parking discounts - 7th Nov 2014 12:21pm
They realy haven't a clue have they ?????? I wonder how many councillors shop in the dump that is birkenhead ? Free after 3 ....too little too late
Posted By: reddragon Re: Christmas car parking discounts - 8th Nov 2014 9:49am
you will need TURBO skates to get your xmas shopping done in an hour and a half plus not forgetting traipse round with the kids you have picked up from school and stall holders who want to go home after being there all day:: As usual " THE COUNCIL " dosen;t do much for nothing
© Wirral-Wikiwirral