Forums
Posted By: pacef8 New Tower road Bridges 2018 - 27th Aug 2014 7:25pm
The replacement of two bridges, and associated road improvement works including the provision of new pedestrian and cycle facilities on the A554 Tower Road, Birkenhead. The project will replace life expired highway structures and replace them with modern fit for purpose assets that will include segregated facilities for pedestrians and cyclists to encourage more sustainable, and safer cross docks movements. The project offers the most efficient whole life cost for asset management of the highway network. Without major capital investment in replacement of the bridges there will be more frequent occurrences of full or partial closure on this key route to enable maintenance to be undertaken. There is a risk the bridges may need to be closed for periods to all traffic, which will result in increases in journey times, congestion and carbon emissions due to vehicles
having to be diverted. Following completion in 2018, the project will improve network efficiency and reliability and will ensure the A554 corridor; part of the Merseyside Freight Network remains open to traffic.

http://moderngov.merseytravel.uk.ne...0brief%20descriptions%20of%20schemes.pdf
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: New Tower road Bridges 2018 - 27th Aug 2014 8:48pm
Needs must, I suppose. Not good for pedestrians though- I, for one walk over the Four bridges to Birkenhead and beyond at least 3 times a week.

Wallasey is indeed an Island.
Posted By: philmch Re: New Tower road Bridges 2018 - 28th Aug 2014 2:19pm
Yet another case of WBC wasting ratepayers' money on the roads.

Speaking as someone who cycles over there regularly I'd say it's perfectly alright as it is and generally quiet where road traffic is concerned.
Posted By: Rambo Re: New Tower road Bridges 2018 - 31st Aug 2014 2:37pm
Trying to understand the bureaucratic speak, I am assuming the four bridges are being replaced. That's going to bugger-up a lot of people if they are going to be closed for 3 years! Doesn't matter how efficient they are when it's finished, everyone will be so used to going the alternative route that they will hardly be used after they open again. AND, what about the ferry? Closing one at a time either side of the terminal, AGAIN, will surely impact them too!
© Wirral-Wikiwirral