Forums
Posted By: Tilly New Brighton could be a dog free beach - 27th Jun 2014 5:11pm
No way frown my dogs love the beach

http://m.wirralglobe.co.uk/news/113..._Wirral_s_first__dog_free_beach_/?ref=eb
Posted By: starakita Re: New Brighton could be a dog free beach - 27th Jun 2014 5:31pm
I hope not my dog enjoys the beach,go there more than the park it's the only place she can run free.Blame the irresponsible owners who don't pick up & why pick on dog owners,the mess left by the human crowd has been worse.
Posted By: Vanmanone Re: New Brighton could be a dog free beach - 27th Jun 2014 5:45pm
Ive not seen any dog poop on the beach,I go there most days,I real shame,If this goes through.
Posted By: Moonstar Re: New Brighton could be a dog free beach - 27th Jun 2014 6:07pm
It wouldn't be the first beach in the Country to have a ban during the summer season and despite the request for funding prior to consultation - we have a say.

"The spokesman said: “Applications to designate dog free areas are required to go through due process and public consultation in line with the requirements of the Clean Neighbourhoods and Environment Act 2005.

“The constituency committee does not have the power to approve such applications however the report does ask the committee to consider providing funding for consultation and signage if such a designation was granted by the council.”

As it is there is little indication of current prosecutions of pooping elsewhere. Perhaps they are planning to use the parking camera cars for this purpose now they have been outlawed for their original purpose. More money down the drain!
Posted By: davew3 Re: New Brighton could be a dog free beach - 27th Jun 2014 6:47pm
When I used to go down to the fort, we would walk around the wall and pick the plastics bags with the dog poop in them, that people had thrown over the wall.
Posted By: Greenwood Re: New Brighton could be a dog free beach - 27th Jun 2014 10:38pm
It only mentions new Brighton by Marine Point, so I suppose Egremont, Harrison Drive, Leasowe etc would still be okay for dog-walking. A lot of resorts have dog-free areas/times; it's not really surprising that this area wants to have a dog-free beach as part of the general upgrade, even if it is disappointing for regulars.
Posted By: DJDuck Re: New Brighton could be a dog free beach - 28th Jun 2014 12:09am
Dogs litter beaches less than humans...fact.... as responsible owners always pick up mess.

West Kirkby/Hoylake is full of horse shite on roads and beaches..so do the pseudo middle class of West Wirral remain exempt?

Love to see a council based "lacky" trying to fine me...I think he'd end up buried to the neck in sand with me tapping him gently with a spade on the head!

They should get back to fining people who really break the law not by selling class A drugs or creatings brothels but by parking for 5 mins "inappropriately" in touristic areas.....again lacky fu*kwits!!

Regards

DJ

Posted By: granny Re: New Brighton could be a dog free beach - 28th Jun 2014 10:37am
Originally Posted by Greenwood
It only mentions new Brighton by Marine Point, so I suppose Egremont, Harrison Drive, Leasowe etc would still be okay for dog-walking. A lot of resorts have dog-free areas/times; it's not really surprising that this area wants to have a dog-free beach as part of the general upgrade, even if it is disappointing for regulars.

AS you say Greenwood, various times in other places. One big thing is that other resorts also have 'doggy bins' which for some reason is a policy that this council will not put into practice. I even saw one in Wales the other day which was in the middle of nowhere on the Mold-Denbigh Road.(Flint Council)

Never the less if we want tourists to visit the area and bring in the business, they will not come to a resort with dog messed beaches or other mess. Too much information and feedback on internet these days for people to be ignorant.
There are also new regulations being brought in by the EU too concerning the 'beach standards', and that has probably more to do with the possible changes spoken of.

http://www.theguardian.com/environment/2014/may/23/blackpool-beach-eu-water-law
Posted By: justice Re: New Brighton could be a dog free beach - 28th Jun 2014 3:34pm
There are signs at West Kirby saying no dogs between June and September. So not the first Wirral beach.
I am sure it will be a relief for all parents who are unable to let their children play on the beautiful beaches because of the minority of dog owners.
Posted By: j_demo Re: New Brighton could be a dog free beach - 28th Jun 2014 5:36pm
impossible to police, it'll never happen.
Posted By: ZipperClub Re: New Brighton could be a dog free beach - 28th Jun 2014 6:14pm
I`m on the case...

Attached picture aa.jpg
Posted By: dogooddeeds Re: New Brighton could be a dog free beach - 28th Jun 2014 7:14pm
It would be really good to be able to take Grandchildren to one beach without fear of dogs off their lead chasing them, scaring them and scavenging their picnics. Sooner the better.:-)
Posted By: starakita Re: New Brighton could be a dog free beach - 28th Jun 2014 8:38pm
I always keep my dog on a lead & keep away when there are people on the beach because I don't want her annoying them & I know she would go after the sandwiches as I wouldn't like a dog running riot round my family.I think all dogs should be on leads along the prom & the beach when it is busy that would help
Posted By: pitterpat Re: New Brighton could be a dog free beach - 29th Jun 2014 10:10am
How about banning the people that leave all their rubbish from their day out at the beach.
Posted By: chriskay Re: New Brighton could be a dog free beach - 29th Jun 2014 11:22am
Picking up the poop doesn't remove the contamination left in the sand. From another site:
It has been estimated that a single gram of dog waste can contain 23 million fecal coliform bacteria, which are known to cause cramps, diarrhea, intestinal illness, and serious kidney disorders in humans.
Posted By: starakita Re: New Brighton could be a dog free beach - 29th Jun 2014 11:51am
I always pick the surrounding sand up as well
Posted By: Martin1943 Re: New Brighton could be a dog free beach - 2nd Jul 2014 12:53pm
Salt water, is strongly bacteriacidal, I always pick up any om my dogmess, together with a small quantity of sand on which it laid.
Main problem, as usual, is the bright sparks who don't do any picking, or just drop any bags collected along the embankment.
In any case it's not dog walkers that keep people of the beaches, it's the surroundings. New Brighton is still a tip, caused by people, not dogs.
However our good councillors should always remember who it is who votes for them.
Posted By: Gibbo Re: New Brighton could be a dog free beach - 3rd Jul 2014 10:50am
I'll just cut and paste this comment I left on a Wirral FB group:

I'm a dog lover. Have had four from childhood, will always fuss one when passing or if its tied up outside a shop, my current situation and location means I'm unable to have a dog. But, I love seeing them running on the beach, love seeing them swimming in the water, or trying to get out to me when I'm swimming at Leasowe.

Banning all dogs just because of the minority is a bit "throwing out the baby with the bathwater" but aside from the council paying for 24 hour patrols (which wouldn't go down well with council tax payers and accusations of them acting like Hitlers like people do with traffic wardens), no amount of free dog bags and empty bins will force some dog owners to change their habits. I was threatened with a smack when I asked someone if they were going to clean up their dog mess.

I don't like to generalise, but it tends to be the more aggressive lower classes who don't clear up after them. Its particularly bad on the Wirral Way with the dog owner on a bike and the dog left to follow behind.
Posted By: Vanmanone Re: New Brighton could be a dog free beach - 27th Jul 2014 8:20pm
Quick update Me&Claire went along to show our faces
[Linked Image]
Good turn out plus we met some really nice folks

Source .. https://www.facebook.com/groups/1437893876471748/?fref=ts
Posted By: oldpm01 Re: New Brighton could be a dog free beach - 27th Jul 2014 10:43pm
I would rather they banned the morons who pitch up and spend all day drinking and causing trouble for the regular families who want to visit
Posted By: CVCVCV Re: New Brighton could be a dog free beach - 28th Jul 2014 3:11pm
Faces = GOOD
Faeces = BAD !

Glad it was the former and not the latter!!!
Posted By: cathie Re: New Brighton could be a dog free beach - 28th Jul 2014 4:40pm
Originally Posted by oldpm01
I would rather they banned the morons who pitch up and spend all day drinking and causing trouble for the regular families who want to visit

Couldn't agree more, I don't have a problem with dogs on the beach but I can't stand the people who turn up with 20 cans of Stella and start shouting their mouths off when they're half drunk then leave their rubbish all over the place
© Wirral-Wikiwirral