Forums
Posted By: Willo_ Burglars raid post office - 1st Apr 2014 6:29pm
Thieves made off with what was described as a “large amount” of cash after Birkenhead raid.
Burglars raided a post office cash machine after removing bricks from the dividing wall with a house being renovated next door.
[Linked Image]

Thieves made off with what was described as a “large amount” of cash in the raid at the branch on Park Road North, Birkenhead.

The hole-in-the-wall gang are believed to have broken in through the back of the property next to the post office over the weekend.

They then took out bricks from an internal wall in the home's hallway to make a hole at the exact spot where the branch's ATM was located on the other side.

After getting in through the back of the cash machine the gang removed wads of cash before fleeing the scene, with post office staff only discovering the raid when they opened up the store at around 8.30am today.

Bricks and debris removed from the wall littered the staircase of the home this afternoon as builders began repair work at the property, which had scaffolding up outside and is understood to have been undergoing renovation.
[Linked Image]

The post office remained closed today and both buildings were cordoned off this morning while crime scene investigators conducted forensic examinations.

Police confirmed a “large amount” of cash had been stolen after a cash machine inside was damaged in the raid and the force has now launched an appeal for witnesses.

Officers said the break-in took place sometime between 1pm on Saturday, when the branch was locked up for the weekend by staff, and when it was opened again today.

A spokesman said: “Officers believe the offender or offenders broke in via the neighbouring property and damaged an ATM inside the branch to steal a large amount of cash.

“Both buildings have been cordoned off to allow crime scene investigators to forensically examine them and the owners of both premises have been informed.”

Detectives are appealing for anyone who lives in the area and saw or heard anything suspicious in Park Road North or Duke Street between 1pm on Saturday when the branch closed and 8.30am today to contact them at Wirral CID on 0151 777 2265 or call Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.

Posted By: baconbutty Re: Burglars raid post office - 1st Apr 2014 8:16pm
Inventive
Posted By: Kev30x Re: Burglars raid post office - 1st Apr 2014 9:30pm
Good on them.
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Burglars raid post office - 1st Apr 2014 10:12pm
Reminds me of a small scale version of The Bank Job film (also based on a true story)
Posted By: j_demo Re: Burglars raid post office - 1st Apr 2014 10:25pm
inventive.
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Burglars raid post office - 2nd Apr 2014 8:34am
guess the giro people were peed off that day.
was wondering why they all wernt lining up there.
Posted By: Gibbo Re: Burglars raid post office - 2nd Apr 2014 12:53pm
I wonder if cashpoint cash can be identified in some way, by serial numbers?
Posted By: granny Re: Burglars raid post office - 2nd Apr 2014 1:27pm
New notes probably.
Posted By: Dilly Re: Burglars raid post office - 2nd Apr 2014 2:05pm
Anyone want to buy some nice crisp new £20 notes for a tenner each ? smile
Posted By: chris58 Re: Burglars raid post office - 2nd Apr 2014 2:44pm
Was the building they got in thru part of the post office or someone's house?!
Posted By: Dilly Re: Burglars raid post office - 2nd Apr 2014 3:03pm
Empty house being renovated.
Posted By: fish5133 Re: Burglars raid post office - 2nd Apr 2014 10:22pm
on the photo CCTV cameras pointing at the front door. Presume whole crossroads covered in each direction. They certainly went to a "hole" lot of trouble.
Posted By: ZipperClub Re: Burglars raid post office - 2nd Apr 2014 11:37pm
Got more money under my mattress, so not the robbery of the decade is it, 10 grand or so that's all
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Burglars raid post office - 3rd Apr 2014 12:23am
Originally Posted by ZipperClub
Got more money under my mattress, so not the robbery of the decade is it, 10 grand or so that's all

Spend it zipper, no good having it if you dont enjoy it old chap.
Posted By: ZipperClub Re: Burglars raid post office - 3rd Apr 2014 12:35am
Never find anything I want to buy, got everything I want. Except a 21 year old blonde with cataracts lol
Posted By: Willo_ Re: Burglars raid post office - 3rd Apr 2014 8:16am
Originally Posted by fish5133
on the photo CCTV cameras pointing at the front door. Presume whole crossroads covered in each direction. They certainly went to a "hole" lot of trouble.
They are ANPR cameras.
Posted By: Dilly Re: Burglars raid post office - 3rd Apr 2014 8:53am
Originally Posted by ZipperClub

have you got room to put money under your mattress with all them mags there ? smile
Posted By: ZipperClub Re: Burglars raid post office - 3rd Apr 2014 7:32pm
Why, your not wanting them back so soon?? Dilly!! :-))
Posted By: sunnyside Re: Burglars raid post office - 3rd Apr 2014 8:41pm
a peek under zippers mattress

Attached picture Money-under-the-mattress--008.jpg
© Wirral-Wikiwirral