Forums
Posted By: eddtheduck Birkenhead tunnel shut towards Birkenhead - 27th Mar 2014 8:15pm
Birkenhead tunnel shut towards Birkenhead as a lorry has just gone through there instead of the Wallasey tunnel and taken huge pieces of the tunnel roof structure with it!
Posted By: j_demo Re: Birkenhead tunnel shut towards Birkenhead - 28th Mar 2014 12:14pm
what a wally!
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Birkenhead tunnel shut towards Birkenhead - 28th Mar 2014 12:20pm
What about the "Overheight" detector beam ??? Maybe the driver needs to go to Specsavers or get a white stick. His insurance company could get a nasty bill for the damage and loss of revenue blah blah !
Posted By: chriskay Re: Birkenhead tunnel shut towards Birkenhead - 28th Mar 2014 2:10pm
Mention of the bill reminds me of the costs involved if you crash at the Nürburgring; not a place to go without insurance which, of course, your own policy doesn't cover.

Cost of crashing on the Nurburgring

These include Armco repairs, safety car attendance, vehicle recovery, track closure, hospital stays and helicopter fees. I recommend avoiding these. If you can't, then the following price-list may help:

Base fee for attendance of armco truck: €150
Removing damaged armco: €10/metre (x2 or x3 or x4 for multiple-height sections)
Replacement armco: €31/metre (x2 or x3 for double/triple height)
Removing damaged armco posts: €5.10 each
Replacing armco post: €39 each
Safety car attendance: €82 per 30 mins (car + 2 people)
Circuit closure: €1,350 per hour
Recovery truck: €250 (inc VAT)
Hospital stay & air ambulance: Let's just say, do NOT go there without travel insurance! (Though a European Health Card - which replaced the E111 - may cover the hospital bit.)

Everything except the recovery truck is then subject to 19% VAT.

The record armco bill I'm aware of is €15,000. That was a car that managed to flatten a very impressive length of armco between the Quiddlebacher Hohe bridge and the crest on the approach to Flugplatz. But even a minor bump can turn into a surprisingly expensive day out.
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Birkenhead tunnel shut towards Birkenhead - 28th Mar 2014 3:59pm
CHAOS on the dock rd right now.
dock rd
birkenhead road
oakdale road
poulton road
gorsey lane

all gridlocked mad
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Birkenhead tunnel shut towards Birkenhead - 28th Mar 2014 4:01pm
actually caused by a 3 car head on crash in the birkenhead tunnel.
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Birkenhead tunnel shut towards Birkenhead - 28th Mar 2014 4:36pm
wondered why it was chaos!!! thanks
Posted By: philmch Re: Birkenhead tunnel shut towards Birkenhead - 28th Mar 2014 7:50pm
Took me 2 hours to get home from Liverpool by bus this afternoon. No Heswall buses. Ended up on 437 to Birkenhead via Wallasey tunnel. Bad traffic all the way.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral