Forums
Posted By: RUDEBOX Too extreme for school? - 14th Mar 2014 1:16pm
A WIRRAL student has been banned from attending lessons with his fellow classmates after his school deemed his haircut “too extreme”.

St John Plessington Catholic College told 18-year-old Patrick Beesley his hair was too short and banned him from the main school building until it grows to a suitable length.

What do you think? Is it too extreme for school?

Read the full story here: http://bit.ly/1ikOJUh
Posted By: OxtonHill Re: Too extreme for school? - 14th Mar 2014 1:35pm
I must get a newsletter 5 times a year from school telling me what type of haircut is acceptable or not. From the photo it looks shaved at the side normal on the top. Little bit OTT on behalf of the school, saying this the last headmaster newsleter said he did not want to see any 'Towie' cuts in his school.
At the end of the day School rules are there to be obeyed or suffer the Consequences. But going to the press is a bit OTT as well.
[the school I'm taking about is not his school].
Posted By: lau2908 Re: Too extreme for school? - 14th Mar 2014 1:55pm
what an absolute joke that is , seriously. I have seen kids with much more extreme hair cuts than that and still remain in the school
Posted By: Blueskier Re: Too extreme for school? - 14th Mar 2014 1:57pm
The schools/LEA need to get their story straight.
Fined if you take your child out of school for even one day (trust me i have asked and been told in no uncertain circumstances that is the case). Because education is so important, every day is vital.

Bit of a daft haircut and get out until it grows back! How long will that be?

But there we have a whole other debate.
Posted By: Hamman Re: Too extreme for school? - 14th Mar 2014 2:58pm
Absolutely right...... Comply with the rules or go somewhere else with different rules.
Posted By: Elizabeth Re: Too extreme for school? - 14th Mar 2014 2:59pm
He should say it was cut that way for religious reasons, and then not a word would be said about it.
Posted By: smithersjones Re: Too extreme for school? - 14th Mar 2014 4:33pm
The head and deputy head at this school are a joke. To think this school has won awards under false pretences too claiming students were making exceptional progress when they were really only passing what are now discredited courses that are no longer recognised. I wouldn't want to work there or send my children to this school under any circumstances.
Posted By: justice Re: Too extreme for school? - 14th Mar 2014 6:56pm
He is not excluded from school just contact with other pupils.
Elizabeth and Smithers you need to watch what you say.
Smithers your remarks are an insult to all the pupils who have worked very hard for their qualifications.
Rules are clear and if you don't like them find a school that has no discipline.
Posted By: smithersjones Re: Too extreme for school? - 14th Mar 2014 7:04pm
I've no doubt the students worked hard to pass their qualifications, but many weren't pushed to achieve more. Mr Gove is the one who has discredited SOME of the qualifications they passed not me! Instead of chasing cheap headlines he should have changed the qualifications so as not to degrade previous achievements. However some schools were gaming the system. 4 GCSE vocational courses were a joke and then English, maths + anything else (vocational, no exam, internally marked etc;)for 5 GCSE's???????????????
Posted By: Elizabeth Re: Too extreme for school? - 14th Mar 2014 8:30pm
Originally Posted by justice

Elizabeth and Smithers you need to watch what you say.

Justice, I will say what I like
Posted By: justice Re: Too extreme for school? - 14th Mar 2014 8:47pm
"He should say it was cut that way for religious reasons, and then not a word would be said about it."
Re Elizabeth, I am sorry but you cannot say what you like.I was trying to help you.Many people have got themselves into serious trouble by the simplest remark.
Posted By: katyem Re: Too extreme for school? - 14th Mar 2014 9:01pm
Personally I think his hair looks fine, he looks tidy and presentable.
Posted By: sunnyside Re: Too extreme for school? - 14th Mar 2014 9:45pm
I cannot see what is wrong with his haircut, it is neat and looks well groomed, it is not extreme in anyone's book.
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Too extreme for school? - 14th Mar 2014 10:02pm
I, too think he looks very smart and presentable.
Posted By: reddragon Re: Too extreme for school? - 14th Mar 2014 10:41pm
Justice you are out of order stating a member cannot say what they wish if you do not like what that member has written then you have 2 options 1 notify the moderator of the forum or 2nd don't read the comments
That sort of comment you have made leads to unnecessary remarks
Wiki is a site for chatting and discussing topics if you feel they are not allowed maybe you should look for another site to use. You have gone off the original topic which was about the hair style of the pupil
Posted By: Elizabeth Re: Too extreme for school? - 14th Mar 2014 10:44pm
Originally Posted by justice
"He should say it was cut that way for religious reasons, and then not a word would be said about it."
Re Elizabeth, I am sorry but you cannot say what you like.I was trying to help you.Many people have got themselves into serious trouble by the simplest remark.

Justice, I don't need your help.
Posted By: granny Re: Too extreme for school? - 14th Mar 2014 11:00pm
It's all to do with fashion. Once boys couldn't have long hair, then spikey hair, now short hair. The boundaries change all the time according to what is not deemed respectable.
This young man would appear to have a respectable haircut (can't see the back or sides properly)but if the rules have been made, they must be kept. Otherwise, abandon the rule book. Parents would complain about that too, if their little Johnny got a pork pie in his face across the dining table.
Pointless to make such a big issue over something which he laid at his own front door, and if he's 18yrs, then he should be more aware. Best not go in the army!

My sons would have gone mad if mummy had interfered when they were that age.
Posted By: Salmon Re: Too extreme for school? - 14th Mar 2014 11:12pm
This is (IMO) a case of a youngster trying it on. He knew a number two was the limit but decided he wanted his hair a bit shorter.
Had the school let him get away with that then what happens when a boy comes in with a number one? School rules are very clear on matters of style and dress and parents and pupils are well aware of them.
Posted By: ZipperClub Re: Too extreme for school? - 14th Mar 2014 11:26pm
This sounds like a plan :-)
Want to take your kid out of school during school term to go on holiday without getting fined?. Get their hair cut short. I may promote this idea.
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Too extreme for school? - 14th Mar 2014 11:28pm
Originally Posted by ZipperClub
This sounds like a plan :-)
Want to take your kid out of school during school term to go on holiday without getting fined?. Get their hair cut short. I may promote this idea.
Bit extreme....
Posted By: ZipperClub Re: Too extreme for school? - 14th Mar 2014 11:30pm
You can already get one firm to pay you to take your kids ski-ing during term.
Posted By: starakita Re: Too extreme for school? - 15th Mar 2014 10:03am
All my kids have gone to SJP got 2 there now one in yr11 & one in yr 10,the lad will be in the Assisi centre they still do lessons & they have their meals there.my daughter was in there but she has autism & couldn't cope so she now goes to Clare Mount & that was with SJP's help.I think the lads haircut is ok my son said all the lads should shave their heads & they all think its stupid what has happened.
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Too extreme for school? - 15th Mar 2014 11:10am
psalm 2:32:852:3524 page 583, thee shall not cut hair to the bone as it is sacriligious insult to the sacrificed lamb slaying god.

religion, ha, what a pile of krock.
Posted By: dustymclean Re: Too extreme for school? - 15th Mar 2014 12:03pm
The butt plug in his ear tells me there is more to this posed for picture than meets the eye.
Posted By: goodoldphil Re: Too extreme for school? - 15th Mar 2014 6:33pm
I think you've nailed it there Dusty,. If you join an institution you must abide by the rules, and if you try to push at the boundaries don't be surprised if they push back. smile
Posted By: Greenwood Re: Too extreme for school? - 15th Mar 2014 7:01pm
Must admit if I was school staff I'd have more of an issue with the ear furniture than the hairstyle in this instance - do they have a 'no jewellery' rule too? Or do those ear plugs not count? In most walks of life, in the workplace there are dress codes or rules that have to be followed; may as well get used to it. Personally I'd rather see a lad with long hair than a shaved head, as long as it was kept clean and didn't get in the way.
Posted By: Santos Re: Too extreme for school? - 15th Mar 2014 8:02pm
He knew the rules, he flouted them, good for the school for making an example of him.
Posted By: Gibbo Re: Too extreme for school? - 17th Mar 2014 11:13am
Originally Posted by dustymclean
The butt plug in his ear tells me there is more to this posed for picture than meets the eye.

Well observed.

Is the kid some kind of amateur barber too?

When Patrick was challenged about his hair he was totally honest and said he had asked for a number two but when it was cut he didn’t think it was as short as it is normally was so he asked them to cut it a bit shorter

I get number 2 back and sides and would have said "did you use the number 2 cutter?"
Posted By: j_demo Re: Too extreme for school? - 17th Mar 2014 5:01pm
on a personal level i have to say that the haircut does look silly

however

on a 'professional' level i don't think it's too extreme for school at all, i've seen much worse.

girls have multicoloured hair and it's fine for them to have that!

reminds me of the good old days back when i was in school (all of about 8 years ago) we were told in the summer when it reached it's peak of heat that males weren't allowed anything above the knee (ie shorts) but 3/4 length pants were ok whereas some girls were coming in wearing hotpants/daisy-dukes and miniskirts and that was fine. fair point we didn't mind on a personal level as some of the girls were rather attractive, however on an equality scale it was a joke. i hasten o add it was 6th form i'm talking about where we were allowed to wear our own clothes, we weren't in normal education but just taking liberties with the uniform, we always complied with that one.
Posted By: oscarpops Re: Too extreme for school? - 17th Mar 2014 11:12pm
My kids go to sjp and know a few kids who have had their hair cut to short and been sent to the assisi center but their mums don't go whingeing to the local paper they know the rules wouldn't embarrass my child like that
Posted By: joney Re: Too extreme for school? - 21st Mar 2014 10:48am
Nothing wrong with that for me.I wonder will they ban the baldy teachers as well.
Posted By: starakita Re: Too extreme for school? - 21st Mar 2014 1:36pm
My son says he's back in school now
© Wirral-Wikiwirral