Forums
Posted By: davew3 ROFTEN Hooton - 12th Aug 2013 1:50pm
I see the old Royal Ordinance site 10 Hooton has now closed, I hope English Heritage are watching where the old steel air raid shelter for the fire watchers on the roof goes, I hope it doesn't take wings and fly away, do we know if the closure is permanent?
Posted By: Anonymous Re: ROFTEN Hooton - 12th Aug 2013 3:17pm
Yes, the old "Consol" shelters are few and far between nowadays. Let's hope they are rescued and go to an appropriate home or location before the pikeys move in!!

Just read your post again Dave. You say "shelter" (singular). There were TWO Consol shelters on the roof last time I was there. Maybe the pikeys have called already ?? mad
Posted By: chriskay Re: ROFTEN Hooton - 12th Aug 2013 5:58pm
And for those who don't know what is being talked about.

Attached picture P1010223.jpg
Posted By: mikethetrainman Re: ROFTEN Hooton - 12th Aug 2013 6:10pm
Hi, I used to work around the corner by arco, and if i was early for work i,d park up by the roften works AND? im sure the other shelter was more bell shaped (it is a few years to remember)..
Posted By: Papa_Juliet Re: ROFTEN Hooton - 12th Aug 2013 6:46pm
According to this article from June 2012 the whole site will be flattened to make way for 265 new homes:

Council backs bid to build 265 homes in Hooton

Some interesting articles on the Consol shelter at ROFTEN Hooton (latterly known as Artillery Park) can be found in the history section of WikiWirral and here:

Consol Portable Shelters
Posted By: MickyDee Re: ROFTEN Hooton - 13th Aug 2013 4:09pm
There are two of those shelters there, I think. I hope one can be saved.
I have a hunch that the site may be owned by Morgan's, the local demolition/earthmoving company. They have a place somewhere on the opposite side of the road to Roften Works.
Posted By: Weeman Re: ROFTEN Hooton - 15th Aug 2013 7:54pm
The site was a white goods storage building for Littlewoods Catalogue , I know because as I a ex-security officer I use to watch it remotely with Security cameras from Wrexham .
Posted By: tonyh Re: ROFTEN Hooton - 28th Aug 2013 8:07pm
the site is owned by a london company called burford delta, who kindly gave us all 2 months notice that our leases would not be renewed as they had told us. morgans have the job of demolishing the site (burfords still don't have planning to demolish but now everyone is off there, they will say that it is a danger and a liability. they have planning to build 276 affordable homes plus a residential care home. this was the primary concern of those living in willaston and hooton. lack of local amenities. they need not worry as burfords still don't have the backing of a developer to build the houses or care home
© Wirral-Wikiwirral