Forums
Posted By: Willo_ Wirral claimants have their benefits capped - 25th Jul 2013 9:41pm
WIRRAL benefit claimants are the latest people to have their payments capped as the new system is rolled out across the country.

The Government’s benefit cap limits the amount people can claim to £500 a week which means locally, around 200 claimants could have their money restricted to the earnings of an average household.

Jobcentre Plus managers say they have been in touch with all claimants since April and have been working with Wirral Council to make sure people are given enough information.

Nic Winter from Wirral Jobcentre Plus said: “We’ve been speaking to people over the last year to give them extra help to get into work.

"We are providing tailored support to help people move into work and the vast majority of people are really keen to get into work and are enthusiastic about the help they are getting.

"For those who haven’t been in contact yet, it’s important that they take up the offer of help in good time, so that they have time to think about the options available.

“Nationally Jobcentre Plus has been helping those claimants potentially affected with 12,400 already having moved into work and 32,300 having accepted employment support.”

The cap is set at £500 a week for couples with or without children, and lone parent households.

There is a lower cap at £350, which applies to single people.

The cap will apply to combined income from the main out-of-work benefits: Jobseeker’s Allowance, Income Support, and Employment Support Allowance, - and other benefits such as Housing Benefit, Child Benefit and Child Tax Credit.

Households with someone in receipt of the Personal Independence Payment, Disability Living Allowance, the support component of Employment and Support Allowance and War Widow’s or Widower’s Pension are not affected.

Further support is available online at: www.gov.uk/benefit-cap

Benefit Cap Calculator
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Wirral claimants have their benefits capped - 25th Jul 2013 10:01pm
it is actually 860 Wirral families affected. Google Joe Halewood.
Posted By: Pablo Re: Wirral claimants have their benefits capped - 25th Jul 2013 10:06pm
Bless their little cotton socks, whatever will they do with such little money.

LMAO.

Posted By: Pablo Re: Wirral claimants have their benefits capped - 25th Jul 2013 10:06pm
The Government’s benefit cap limits the amount people can claim to £500 a week which means locally, around 200 claimants could have their money restricted to the earnings of an average household.

Seriously, the above is fooking laughable.
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Wirral claimants have their benefits capped - 25th Jul 2013 10:12pm
http://speye.wordpress.com/2013/07/...rnicious-social-policy-in-living-memory/
Posted By: Pablo Re: Wirral claimants have their benefits capped - 25th Jul 2013 10:14pm
Pass me a tissue
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Wirral claimants have their benefits capped - 25th Jul 2013 10:16pm
Originally Posted by Pablo

LMAO.

You obviously know sweet F.A. It's greedy landlords like yourself milking the system in housing benefits. You and people like you don't give a shit where your rent comes from.
As long as you get your rent, right?
Posted By: Pablo Re: Wirral claimants have their benefits capped - 25th Jul 2013 10:19pm
Originally Posted by RUDEBOX

LMAO.

You obviously know sweet F.A. It's greedy landlords like yourself milking the system in housing benefits. You and people like you don't give a shit where your rent comes from.

Landlord?

Step away from the plonk.
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Wirral claimants have their benefits capped - 25th Jul 2013 10:25pm
People like you who blindly believe that people on benefits ACTUALLY recieve £350/ £500 cash per week? No! The majority of that goes to Capitalist Landlords who do not care that the working poor have to 'make up' the deficit from their shitty under-paid/ zero hour contracts to pay the over-inflated rent for their shitty, sub-standard (usually) living quarters.
Posted By: Pablo Re: Wirral claimants have their benefits capped - 25th Jul 2013 10:28pm
If you keep thinking you're owed something out of life then you'll start to believe it.

You're dillusional.

Posted By: Pablo Re: Wirral claimants have their benefits capped - 25th Jul 2013 10:29pm
"Make up the deficit"

Fcuk me. How terrible.
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Wirral claimants have their benefits capped - 25th Jul 2013 10:29pm

LMAO.

Landlord?

Step away from the plonk.
Oh Bergh, I'm sober boy!
Posted By: Pablo Re: Wirral claimants have their benefits capped - 25th Jul 2013 10:30pm
?

Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Wirral claimants have their benefits capped - 25th Jul 2013 10:31pm
If you keep thinking you're owed something out of life then you'll start to believe it.

You're dillusional.

Me? Not delusional, Child.
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Wirral claimants have their benefits capped - 25th Jul 2013 10:32pm
?

raftl
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Wirral claimants have their benefits capped - 25th Jul 2013 10:34pm
Pass me a tissue
Why? Has Hannah smelt the coffee?
Posted By: Pablo Re: Wirral claimants have their benefits capped - 25th Jul 2013 10:37pm
You're more than that. You're everything that's wrong with this country.

Is there any type of benefit you're not claiming?

I bet there's even some disabilty allowance thrown in for good measure, eh?

Despite Mr and Mrs squeezing themselves into all sorts of urban spaces, right?

Do us all a favour... Keep drinking that cider at a rate of knots until the inevitable happens and you're no longer a drain on the harder working amongst us.

Posted By: Pablo Re: Wirral claimants have their benefits capped - 25th Jul 2013 10:53pm
sleep
Posted By: Dilly Re: Wirral claimants have their benefits capped - 25th Jul 2013 11:25pm
Pablo or whatever you are calling yourself this week, you are getting really boring now, please go play somewhere else.
He or she is obviously a troll, just a constant load of crap gets spewed by them its unbelievable they ain't got a clue even works as a nurse apparently and saves loads of lives yet sits on here all day *bangsheadonwall*
Posted By: ZipperClub Re: Wirral claimants have their benefits capped - 25th Jul 2013 11:34pm
I find pablo amusing, I have a lot of patience but I did growl at someone today LOL
Posted By: Pablo Re: Wirral claimants have their benefits capped - 25th Jul 2013 11:41pm
Originally Posted by _Moretonlad_
He or she is obviously a troll, just a constant load of crap gets spewed by them its unbelievable they ain't got a clue even works as a nurse apparently and saves loads of lives yet sits on here all day *bangsheadonwall*

I can't even be bothered to start the home truths with you pal.
Posted By: Dilly Re: Wirral claimants have their benefits capped - 25th Jul 2013 11:41pm
Who was that Zipper ? Not like you :-)
Posted By: Pablo Re: Wirral claimants have their benefits capped - 25th Jul 2013 11:42pm
Originally Posted by ZipperClub
I find pablo amusing, I have a lot of patience but I did growl at someone today LOL

You're a nurse too?
Posted By: Dilly Re: Wirral claimants have their benefits capped - 25th Jul 2013 11:43pm

Not like you to be stuck for words.
Posted By: ZipperClub Re: Wirral claimants have their benefits capped - 25th Jul 2013 11:47pm
It was Chriskay, Dilly
Posted By: ZipperClub Re: Wirral claimants have their benefits capped - 25th Jul 2013 11:50pm
I`m not a nurse, but would like my own one. Female, 25, blonde, loves sugar daddy/dirty old man. Oh to be young again.
Posted By: shar215 Re: Wirral claimants have their benefits capped - 26th Jul 2013 7:38am

pablo is a troll because he/she has a opinion .i agree with pablos post ..maybe im a troll as well
If you are on the max of £500 a week that equates to £26000 a year which is obviously tax free... If you where to be in employment and earn 26k after tax ni etc then u would need to be a qualified professional and without being sterotypical I imagine a lot of the career benefit claimants aren't in a position to earn that kind of money so in my opinion it doesn't fix the problem. For the record I work full time and clear 300 net a week so it really bugs me people doing sweet fa and earning 200 a week more than me

LMAO.

It is a bloody joke.£500 a week?No wonder no one wants to go out and look for work.Theres couples who have nothing wrong with them and sit on there ass day and night making a living out the benefitsThey know how to bleed the system dry.
Posted By: derekdwc Re: Wirral claimants have their benefits capped - 26th Jul 2013 8:37am
I don't know anyone who even earns or gets £500 a week of benefits.
This is aimed mainly at London where certain boroughs want to drive out council tenants to other parts of the country outside of London so they can sell off or charge huge rents on these potentially very valuable properties.

Posted By: Uffda Re: Wirral claimants have their benefits capped - 26th Jul 2013 8:41am
I worked for 18 years doing a job I loved until I was medically retired and now have to live off the work medical pension I put into all those years. Now I have just under £250 per week to live on and can't claim any benefits or concessions such as free prescriptions or housing allowance. I would have been better off not to work myself into a debilitating illness for 18 years and just claimed the dole all that time but that isn't the way I was brought up. We should all contribute to society not take as much as we can. I find it hard to take when someone similar to me i.e single person is taking money which has only JUST been CAPPED to £350 per week. They have £400 per month more than me and get access to free training, prescriptions, etc. Sorry, rant over.
Perhaps Pablo's tone leaves a lot to be desired but seriously I completely understand his point.

Benefits should be there for emergency support when you lose your job, not to be relied on for living.

I was working, was made redundant had benefits that paid my rent etc for up to 13 weeks. That was enough time to either find another job (which thankfully I did) or to downsize and move somewhere less expensive. I appreciated it.

Expectations of people in this country of the state essentially looking after them because people 'deserve it' really upsets me.
Posted By: Dilly Re: Wirral claimants have their benefits capped - 26th Jul 2013 10:02am
Sell the chips of your shoulder Frank, you will make a fortune.
I am a pensioner, who has worked hard all my life like most people of my generation, I receive the state pension,including what they call pension credit this amounts to £140.00 a week, I'm entitled to a 75% reduction off the council tax, and a free bus pass, I'm responsible for all the bills including maintenance of my house, which becomes more expensive each day.
If I received half of the lower amount your talking about for a single person, I'd still be financially better off than I am now.
Originally Posted by shar215

pablo is a troll because he/she has a opinion .i agree with pablos post ..maybe im a troll as well

No not because they have an opinion but because its plain to see take a look at Pablo's posts I have been around on the internet long enough to know a troll and someone who is genuine.
Posted By: PhilyMc Re: Wirral claimants have their benefits capped - 26th Jul 2013 11:35am
£500 a week? A Disgrace, My family of four survive on less and we both work our asses off to pay for scroungers.

Posted By: derekdwc Re: Wirral claimants have their benefits capped - 26th Jul 2013 2:43pm
Does anyone on here actually know anyone that gets these huge benefits that are quoted?
It's like saying the national average wage is £31,200 (about £600 a week) for men, so all the men working here are earning £600 a week
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Wirral claimants have their benefits capped - 26th Jul 2013 3:03pm
Nope, not even someone who knows someone....
Posted By: granny Re: Wirral claimants have their benefits capped - 26th Jul 2013 3:37pm
Originally Posted by dool4lit4tle
I am a pensioner, who has worked hard all my life like most people of my generation, I receive the state pension,including what they call pension credit this amounts to £140.00 a week, I'm entitled to a 75% reduction off the council tax, and a free bus pass, I'm responsible for all the bills including maintenance of my house, which becomes more expensive each day.
If I received half of the lower amount your talking about for a single person, I'd still be financially better off than I am now.

I am a pensioner too. My state pension amounts £495 every 4 weeks. I paid into a private pension for a while which gives an extra £22 per week. My total weekly amount is £145.75 and therefore I am not entitled to any pension credits, or reduced council tax, or benefits of any description and my council tax is £125 per month for starters.
Posted By: turnip Re: Wirral claimants have their benefits capped - 26th Jul 2013 3:45pm
Originally Posted by derekdwc
Does anyone on here actually know anyone that gets these huge benefits that are quoted?
It's like saying the national average wage is £31,200 (about £600 a week) for men, so all the men working here are earning £600 a week

I don't think that is what people are getting annoyed at. I think it's the fact that people are complaining that its been capped at these amounts. I personally work a 60 hour week and earn around £1500 a month. So if someone was on the £500 a week cap they would actually be earning more than someone who works 10 hours a day. Which I personally think is unfair.

I'm not getting into an debate I'm simply saying that people aren't getting annoyed because they don't know anyone who earns up to that much in benefits but they are getting annoyed because people are complaining about a system that was brought in to support those in need.
Posted By: rover644 Re: Wirral claimants have their benefits capped - 26th Jul 2013 3:49pm
Does anyone know if someone does receive £500+ in benefit does that figure include child benefit. My thinking being that to get £500+ in benefits you would probably have to have four children. This would give a child benefit award of £60 pw a figure i think most people are still able to claim.
Posted By: rover644 Re: Wirral claimants have their benefits capped - 26th Jul 2013 4:05pm
Originally Posted by granny

I am a pensioner too. My state pension amounts £495 every 4 weeks. I paid into a private pension for a while which gives an extra £22 per week. My total weekly amount is £145.75 and therefore I am not entitled to any pension credits, or reduced council tax, or benefits of any description and my council tax is £125 per month for starters.
£495 every four weeks state pension, looks like it includes some pension credit
Originally Posted by shar215

I agree with every word Pablo has said.
Originally Posted by Dave_James

I agree with every word Pablo has said.

Well done, I don't quite think you understood where I was coming from take a look at his posts and too me anyway its quite clear he is a troll not because he has an opinion as everyone has one of them.
Lets break it down then if you are a couple who claim JSA with say 3 kids who lives in a 3 bedroomed house which is rented @ 500 PCM. Child tax credits is £8720.00 per yr which equates to £167.00 per week. JSA is 5852 per yr which is £112.55 a week. Housing will cover all the rent £6000 per yr £115.00 a week and child Ben which is 2449 per yr which is 47.10 a week. Grand total of benefits rec'd which is 23k a yr which is £442 a week.... I think that's an incentive not to work. My partner and I clear 29k with child Ben included a 6k difference but of course with 2 kids there are nursery bill and after school stuff because we work. We work about 60 hrs a week between us... Our wage is effectively £1.92 an hour for grafting all day every day havin no holidays ok car no time in the week for much fun no time for a pet and not able to afford one yet next door but one from me party all day smoke weed all day claim ESA and claim depression stops them working... Yet people wonder why the average person is getting annoyed!! Rant over
Posted By: granny Re: Wirral claimants have their benefits capped - 26th Jul 2013 8:04pm
Originally Posted by rover644

£495 every four weeks state pension, looks like it includes some pension credit

No, definiteley no pension credit, or anything else. It is becuase I paid more NI contributions over the years
Posted By: rover644 Re: Wirral claimants have their benefits capped - 26th Jul 2013 9:29pm
Ah granny i see. You are 25p over the threshold.
Posted By: Katryn Re: Wirral claimants have their benefits capped - 26th Jul 2013 10:03pm
Labour calls for Iain Duncan Smith to be sacked over unemployment failures
Iain Duncan Smith should be sacked as Work and Pensions Secretary for presiding over "the worst failure of any Government department for years", Labour said today.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/pol...e-sacked-over-unemployment-failures.html

Let's hope he is sacked!
Originally Posted by 19FRANK40
Originally Posted by Dilly
Sell the chips of your shoulder Frank, you will make a fortune.

No chips on my shoulders mate, there seem to be a lot of posts in agreement and to add to my earlier post I do not receive any pension credit.

I am merely showing that the present cap is far too generous given that as a taxpaying pensioner I receive far far less than that cap.

So why the hell do I have to pay via income tax on my pension to support people who without ever working, receive more than me?

I just do not see how anybody could argue that it is wrong.

Its not wrong, i can understand your anger and i do agree with Pablo.
I can't see anyone coming up on here and owning up to getting big licks, they'd be making one heck of a rod for their own backs. If that kind of money wasn't being paid out then surely they wouldn't have to cap it, so someone is getting it, just that nobody will own up to getting it.
[quote=_
It seems wrong that given my state pension of £110.00 per week I still pay tax
Perhaps the benefit cap should be no greater than the state pension. We all have to live remember, and I have paid into the system all my life without ever claiming anything.

By the way, you should have a word with your accountant.
You shouldn't be paying income tax on your pension unless you have another source of income that is taxable.

I do agree that folks should be better off working than on benefits.but that will never happen whilst there aren't enough decent waged jobs for the working class and we have these huge profits being made by huge impersonal companies and millionaires who use every trick in the book to maximise profits. zero hour contracts, offshore banking,tax havens (all legal but morally wrong)
Times of austerity but there will be an increase in the number of millionaires in this country.
The gap between the wealthy and the poorest (as in poorest paid workers and the new underclass called unemployed)is growing wider and wider

Posted By: granny Re: Wirral claimants have their benefits capped - 1st Aug 2013 8:35pm
Yes, you are right DWC about these companies using every trick in the book to maximise profits.Many of the companies are foreign owned now, so we have little call on who becomes millionaires too. Certain people inherit and become millionaires, it's the way of the world.The bankers bonuses are not resulting from the little man in the street, they come from mighty business and transactions of gigantic proportions,that we couldn't even imagine.
I just feel that in all posts made about the division between rich and the so called poor, the poor would like to be the rich. Having said that, many of them are now. They took opportunities when they saw them and made a very nice life- style for themselves. Put on immaculate suits, developed their regional accents, to a more upmarket accent, and now come from a totally different world. Are they crying for you?...no
Whatever we do as a people ,as a nation, as a neighbour will not change the division between rich and poor and it's a stale old arguement to be condeming the rich.Paying their fair share of taxes is a different matter.Good luck to those who have achieved much, why shouldn't we celebrate them? Nobody got anywhere by sitting on their backsides and moaning about how bad things are for them.
By the way, nobody complains about the £££ tens of millions transfer fees for footballers, or the salaries and add-ons they get paid or given.
My biggest gripe if the fact that NONE of the politicians can possibly understand how bad situations are for some at the moment. They need to get off their soap boxes,and put an end to their feeble ways of paying lip service only, to those who are pretty desperate at the moment. They are so completely void of any possible understanding of such situations that it hurts them to even try to think honestly about it, but rich and poor will always be.
Posted By: Wench Re: Wirral claimants have their benefits capped - 1st Aug 2013 8:42pm
Originally Posted by BandyCoot
I can't see anyone coming up on here and owning up to getting big licks, they'd be making one heck of a rod for their own backs. If that kind of money wasn't being paid out then surely they wouldn't have to cap it, so someone is getting it, just that nobody will own up to getting it.

I believe that the higher figure is based on the equivalent of "London weighting" (if that still exists. Showing my age if not).

I am not defending the amounts by any stretch, but people need to remember that the top amount is not for single people.

If it was, I wouldn't have had to stop having my carer and be in the mess I am now. I still have the room for my carer to stay in overnight when needed (some weeks it was one night, others three or four) but because of the reduction due to having what is deemed an extra room, I can't afford to pay her. It's a long wait for the appeal too. By the time it's heard, I'll probably need her full time frown It's frustrating when you need things done but can't do them yourself and can't pay anyone to help.

I am not unintelligent by any stretch, but I have no idea where to seek help from. I guess that comes from 23 odd years of working and never really being "in the system".

I don't agree with the so called "career benefit claimants" who have never worked & keep chucking children out by all and sundry, but I guess what I am trying to say in a roundabout way is, don't tar us all with the same brush. I never in a million years thought I would end up like this, all it takes is one second, one series of events and your life can be changed forever.
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Wirral claimants have their benefits capped - 1st Aug 2013 9:06pm
Watching the 'show' on ch4 and seeing the poor barstewards affected by u.c

There is a pregnant pair paying £420 for a shared room.

People paying £300 PER WEEK (H.B-I dunno)?. If the same property was council it would be £112 per week.

Basically, it is greedy capitalistic twunts contributing to the H.B Bill- dont mind winging about scroungers as long as the rent (h.b) is paid.

Two major social issues here

No affordable living wage-working people needing financial support.
Greedy landlords.
Posted By: bigpete Re: Wirral claimants have their benefits capped - 5th Aug 2013 12:27pm
Can we get back to the OP - IDS is a usless tw*** and should join the ranks of the underemployed - he has all the credentials
I pay tax as well Frank, because I have a forces pension. I did 34 years to get that though and it stings when they take tax off it, still well below the "living minimum". Keep getting calls for a free boiler too but not entitled to anything because I'm not a benefits claimant. I don't mind the way I am but I wish those who are getting big licks handed to them for doing nothing would stop bleating about what a hard life it is not doing anything. Life's a b..ch.
Posted By: Foxycoxy Re: Wirral claimants have their benefits capped - 13th Aug 2013 5:49am
I am a professional who studied hard for 4 years to get my qualification. I have worked on and off for 20 years since then and I earn 23,500 pa. Extra expenses for working so much include ready meals, childcare, petrol, etc. as well as what others have mentioned. My partner earns £15,000 for a 40 hour week. He has COPD and is always ill, but cannot stay off work as we would never survive on my wages alone. I don't have time to shop for bargains either. The people opposite me have never worked, and are having babies after babies by new and different partners (one is on the fifth partner since I have lived here). My house is falling apart while they get new kitchens, roofs, etc. We, and our working neighbours couldn't afford to have more than two children each but they have ten between them, as well as a menagerie of animals. The kids taunt my kids because we cannot afford a holiday, while they go to Lanzarote every year! So - yes I am very disaffected with the current system. When my husband lost his business (another government failing) we didn't get all these benefits and would have lost the house if it wasn't for family helping us out! We were struggling and went for advice. The advice we were given was that I give up work too!! Then, we would have got all the benefits and had more money coming into the house!!!! I sometimes wish I had done, but as someone already mentioned - I wasn't brought up that way!
Posted By: guitarlad Re: Wirral claimants have their benefits capped - 13th Aug 2013 11:50am
Originally Posted by Foxycoxy
I am a professional who studied hard for 4 years to get my qualification. I have worked on and off for 20 years since then and I earn 23,500 pa. Extra expenses for working so much include ready meals, childcare, petrol, etc. as well as what others have mentioned. My partner earns £15,000 for a 40 hour week. He has COPD and is always ill, but cannot stay off work as we would never survive on my wages alone. I don't have time to shop for bargains either. The people opposite me have never worked, and are having babies after babies by new and different partners (one is on the fifth partner since I have lived here). My house is falling apart while they get new kitchens, roofs, etc. We, and our working neighbours couldn't afford to have more than two children each but they have ten between them, as well as a menagerie of animals. The kids taunt my kids because we cannot afford a holiday, while they go to Lanzarote every year! So - yes I am very disaffected with the current system. When my husband lost his business (another government failing) we didn't get all these benefits and would have lost the house if it wasn't for family helping us out! We were struggling and went for advice. The advice we were given was that I give up work too!! Then, we would have got all the benefits and had more money coming into the house!!!! I sometimes wish I had done, but as someone already mentioned - I wasn't brought up that way!
Loved reading your post.at the end of the day we all should work for our keep.Not make a living out of the benefit system.You should be entitled to some help though.Imagine if a majority of unemployed havent worked for more than 5 years.The cost of the taxpayers money to keep a roof over there heads and still be able to buy there alcohol and fags,that alone cost a fortune.Even couples who are fit to work and cant be bothered to go out and get work.No wonder the goverment is capping the benefit system.Its so unfair
raftl
Posted By: Abbot Re: Wirral claimants have their benefits capped - 20th Aug 2013 12:54am
I don't see how cutting the benefits any more than what has already been done can benefit the taxpayer.
Peoples minds are being conditioned by this government to believe that the jobless are the scroungers, the truth is that most unemployed actually want a job to be able to pay for things like rent, food, days out, nice things in the house etc. etc. Every family has different circumstances, most of which you probably wont know about because quite frankly your not living their life.
We are supposed to be one of the richest nations on the planet yet people are payed buttons - that is the problem - ridiculously low wages and an extremely high cost of a basic living.
Foxycoxy, just imagine how much that person with 10 kids would have to earn to be better off than what they are already on, then bring in the CSA for that family, he would have to be earning 40k plus atleast for him alone.
Yes the benefits system is costly (mostly by pensioners)and yes wages are too low but f**k me have some compassion for the people that live on the breadline and need a little help every now and then.
Pure and simple - wages need to rise and NOT bring the poor to their knees any further than what they already are.
Posted By: Moonstar Re: Wirral claimants have their benefits capped - 20th Aug 2013 9:01am
I'm a pensioner Abbot and paid in for 43 years to achieve what is now, under the new rules, a reduced pension.
Posted By: derekdwc Re: Wirral claimants have their benefits capped - 20th Aug 2013 9:23am
No job is secure nowadays and you could be out of a job next and then let's see how you get on with finding a decent job,
paying your mortgage or rent, loans, food, clothing etc.
Be thankful if you are working and have a reasonable lifestyle.
I do agree something should be done about long term benefit claimants that are fit to work though (I don't know how.)
Once this Gov gets away with these benefit cuts it will have a go at cutting state pensions next, saying pensioners are scroungers who don't contribute anything to the country except live longer and being a drain on the country's resources
Posted By: Abbot Re: Wirral claimants have their benefits capped - 20th Aug 2013 10:15am
Originally Posted by Moonstar
I'm a pensioner Abbot and paid in for 43 years to achieve what is now, under the new rules, a reduced pension.

Well done. I'm not having a dig at pensioners, just stating facts.
Posted By: granny Re: Wirral claimants have their benefits capped - 20th Aug 2013 10:51am
plus, because the system has been very cunnuingly transformed over the years, (for the last 12 years at least)it has been expected that the parents will help their children through higher education etc.and to avoid having bad credit, it has been expected (by the governments) for their parents to pay off the bank loans that were flung at these young people. It's been expected of the parents to help pay for deposits for housing etc and contribute to the bills nobody can afford hoping to keep Mr Wolf from knocking on the door.
Now, we, the pensioner parents,after paying National Insurance and tax for X amaount of years, it is obviously considered that we are a drain on society.
So in an effort to help our own, in which ever way possible,and keep them off the benefit system,the saving we managed to make, whilst working, have gone straight back into the same pot.
So really, pensioners have contributed more than their fare share, and unfortunately many of them have nothing left in the pot. So it will be more pension credits to be paid out, then it can be said, that pensioners take the bulk of the benefits from the state.
One other thing for young people to be wary of now, is to think about when you will be able to become secure in your life. Think about how old you will be when your family start to need the help, think about what you will be able to give your family in the same way as we helped our families.Deposit for rentals, or a mortgage maybe, pay for a holiday,help with grandchildren it all costs alot. It's about to become so much tougher in years ahead, I feel sorry for each and everyone. I suppose its a way of bringing everyone down to the same level,which is the ideal prognosis for many. Take from the rich and give to the poor:there will always be 'rich', but many,many more poor, which in the long term will cost the country enormously, and Europe will be one big cooking pot for you all and no voice.

Another part of this is slightly off topic and might seem anti but it isn't. I wonder how it is that people of Muslim or Jewish faiths, plus others I think, are not, according to their faiths allowed to pay interest on anything,how do they get properties? In general rented property rates and mortgages must be higher if they are owned by others not from those communities. Which in turn, means we must be paying more to cover the mortgage repayments of the landlords, and why can't we have interest free loans too for any reason, including student loans, which can take years to pay off and goes against the people who have tried to improve their abilities in this life? The whole lot is one big twisted mess and I doubt if any hole will be shallow enough to climb out of.

If wages rise, everything else will rise too. Think about it! So nobody will be any bettr off. I suppose if benefits are capped, then housing cost may reduce as only when people can't pay do things get reduced.
Just glad I we are not in the same situation as others in this world right now. Let's be grateful.
Posted By: derekdwc Re: Wirral claimants have their benefits capped - 20th Aug 2013 11:33am
Watch this granny - it's only an advert - it can't be true could it?
click
Posted By: chriskay Re: Wirral claimants have their benefits capped - 20th Aug 2013 1:52pm
Originally Posted by Moonstar

How come your pension is reduced? As I understand it, and I'm in this position, if your pension is more than the new guaranteed minimum of £144? a week, it won't be reduced to that level.
Posted By: Abbot Re: Wirral claimants have their benefits capped - 20th Aug 2013 10:24pm
Interesting read of how manipulative and conditioned peoples minds can be -

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2013/aug/20/charlie-bucket-poor-real-life?CMP=twt_gu
Posted By: guitarlad Re: Wirral claimants have their benefits capped - 20th Aug 2013 11:09pm
Interesting read.Hence this last part that was mentioned. Nor is sentimentality about the poor much good: I like George Bernard Shaw's acerbic remark in his great socialist tract: "The blunt truth is that ill-used people are worse than well-used people." He adds: "I hate the poor and look forward eagerly to their extermination. I pity the rich a little, but am equally bent on their extermination." The trouble with advocacy for the plight of the hard done-by is that we must always find "perfect" cases, people utterly blameless in every aspect of their life, judged by criteria none of us apply to ourselves, our family or friends. Mistakes, errors of judgment, bad habits, all too human in everyone else are unforgivable in anyone receiving benefits from the taxpayer: weed out smokers or drinkers or anyone too stupid, too lazy, too fat, too angry, too lacking in get-up-and-go or just too depressed to put on a good show.

How do you reconcile people's sugar-coated sympathy for imaginary unfortunates with their strong impulse to blame and punish real-life poor people? That's the conundrum that myriad thinktank reports and charities giving the true facts still fail to crack.
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Wirral claimants have their benefits capped - 21st Aug 2013 12:21am
Source? Sounds like its come from one of the extremist right groups? Called Nazis' back in the day.
Posted By: zippy44 Re: Wirral claimants have their benefits capped - 21st Aug 2013 7:41pm
would be intresting if they means tested the benefit system again....sky or virgin to much benefit.....running a car to much benefit.....mobile phones to much benefit....smoking way to much benefit lets bring the benefit system into what it was designed to be a thing to support you but not carry you.....brother inlaw keeps all kinds of pets smokes never worked in his life has all the gadgets i have to work for yet he is the one who aint gone grey
Posted By: guitarlad Re: Wirral claimants have their benefits capped - 23rd Aug 2013 12:09am
Originally Posted by zippy44
would be intresting if they means tested the benefit system again....sky or virgin to much benefit.....running a car to much benefit.....mobile phones to much benefit....smoking way to much benefit lets bring the benefit system into what it was designed to be a thing to support you but not carry you.....brother inlaw keeps all kinds of pets smokes never worked in his life has all the gadgets i have to work for yet he is the one who aint gone grey
Tv,computer,mobile phones,car.Iwould class them as luxurys.Booze and fags would be also be a luxury as it so damm expensive.Food and bills would be a main priority before any luxurys count.Even pets cost alot to keep on food and vet fees.

Posted By: zippy44 Re: Wirral claimants have their benefits capped - 1st Sep 2013 9:36am
think if we look at how to bring the cost of the benefit system down we need to look also at winter fuel allowance yes a lot of people do need help with bill so lets get the energy company to send the winter fuel bill to the benefits office who can compare then pay the extra heating bill instead of sending the money to the claimant who not always uses it for its purpose...also lets think food vouchers that can only be redeemed in certain shops and by the names person on the voucher as yesturday standing in a shop a woman decided to buy ciggies and not food after discussing it with her partner
I'm a pensioner who has been lucky enough to have worked most of my adult life, I had to work nights because I had three children, again I was lucky to have a husband at that time, who worked during the day, so we were like ships that passed in the night, but we did enjoy our holiday's together, and we had a car, we couldn't afford to save or pay into a private pension, but didn't think we'd need to as we were paying our national insurance each month, and the state pension at that time was a reasonable amount.
I am now on a state pension, plus pension credit, which amounts to £505 per month, I get a council tax reduction, winter fuel benefit, I don't pay for dental treatment, and I have a free bus pass, I find it a struggle but I manage as most pensioners do.
but To all those people who judge, think there but for fortune goes you or I.
and be thankful to have had the opportunities to be who you are.
Posted By: justice Re: Wirral claimants have their benefits capped - 1st Sep 2013 11:23am
Winter fuel benefit like a lot of benefits paid to wealthy pensioners is a political tool.The average pensioner is well off compared to working families trying to get on housing ladder.
The Dla is most abused benefit it is supposed to cover the cost of care how many people actually employ a carer with this money.It should have been left in local authority budget and used to employ home helps and carers for those who really need assistance in the home.I have a neighbour with three out of control kids she gets carers allowance for them because she has managed to get a label for them. All three have iphones and latest fashion it makes me p....Sorry for people with decent kids who go to work and cannot afford bus fares for their kids.
I agree, wealthy pensioners should not get winter fuel or any other benefits, and well off families with children should not recieve child allowance etc,
Posted By: chriskay Re: Wirral claimants have their benefits capped - 1st Sep 2013 12:06pm
Originally Posted by justice
I have a neighbour with three out of control kids. she gets carers allowance for them because she has managed to get a label for them. All three have iphones and latest fashion it makes me p....Sorry for people with decent kids who go to work and cannot afford bus fares for their kids.

withthat
Posted By: SUExx Re: Wirral claimants have their benefits capped - 1st Sep 2013 1:27pm
Too put it in simple terms then.... if your on benefits, ANY KIND OF BENEFIT. You either get your rent paid for, free school meals, milk,car with a blue badge, holidays, glasses, dentists all paid for. WORKERS however have to pay for all theses as well as pay their tax and national insurance, so tell me again who is worse of, yes the ones who work.

Everyone that works knows that non workers have big tv,s, latest phones(with internet), smokes, drinks, goes to bed at all hours, sits on pc all night, have chips on their shoulders thinking the state owns them more.
Simple really, non workers are better off, they don't have to work each day doing 3 peoples jobs cos as people have left they haven't been replaced. They don't have to pay money for travel costs to and from job, these are paid from wages that have been cut or froze. SO WORKERS are picking up the same wage as 3 years ago but the price of everything has doubled at least in that time.
Posted By: Sneezy Re: Wirral claimants have their benefits capped - 1st Sep 2013 3:25pm
withthat
Posted By: SUExx Re: Wirral claimants have their benefits capped - 1st Sep 2013 3:44pm
Originally Posted by SUExx
Too put it in simple terms then.... if your on benefits, ANY KIND OF BENEFIT. You either get your rent paid for, free school meals, milk,car with a blue badge, holidays, glasses, dentists all paid for. WORKERS however have to pay for all theses as well as pay their tax and national insurance, so tell me again who is worse of, yes the ones who work.

Everyone that works knows that non workers have big tv,s, latest phones(with internet), smokes, drinks, goes to bed at all hours, sits on pc all night, have chips on their shoulders thinking the state owns them more.
Simple really, non workers are better off, they don't have to work each day doing 3 peoples jobs cos as people have left they haven't been replaced. They don't have to pay money for travel costs to and from job, these are paid from wages that have been cut or froze. SO WORKERS are picking up the same wage as 3 years ago but the price of everything has doubled at least in that time.
Originally Posted by Sneezy
withthat

Yes sneezy, those on benefits don't think about what they get for free already they want to bleed those that work dry so they can have even bigger tv,s and more booze.
We have all seen those we no that don't work in pubs boozing away the days during the summer time , getting taxis to the dole office to sign on and oh someone that was a typical looking smackhead sitting on the train the other day with a can of beer talking on his I PHONE.
Posted By: Shambo Re: Wirral claimants have their benefits capped - 1st Sep 2013 4:00pm

Whats all this 'everyone that works knows'? Don't presume to speak for me, you only speak for scrunched up people who are angry with their own impotency in life. Your selfishness and blind animosity towards your fellow man disgusts me.
I'm just about lucky enough to be in a position to pay myself enough to get by on, and that hasn't always been the case, and may not be the case in the future. My work and the disposable income in my pocket has alway been, and always will, be at the mercy of capitalism. It's not poor people who make your life harder... more likely rich people do.
Yes paying taxes is a pain, the cost of everything has gone up and wages hasn't, but I will NEVER be so delusional as to blame 'non workers' (sic) for my failings with life.
Big telly's? Latest phones with internet? Drink, drugs and they can stay up late? Get real, you're the one with the chip on your shoulder. Everyone I know, everyone I ever met, who is unemployed is miserably poor. Whilst the poor may well be idle you could, at the very least, credit them with the desire to be busy and rich. Don't be so bitter and take ownership of your life.
Posted By: Zubee Re: Wirral claimants have their benefits capped - 1st Sep 2013 4:06pm
Well said Shambo clap
Posted By: Salmon Re: Wirral claimants have their benefits capped - 1st Sep 2013 4:12pm
Well said Shambo.Unfortunately certain parts of the media home in on exceptional cases of unemployed people who by hook or by crook appear to have all kinds of luxuries.These cases are then taken to be the norm by many.Yes it is true that at the lower ends of pay scales people may be almost as well off as if they did not work.I count myself lucky to have kept in work all my life and I think anybody with any sort of self esteem would much rather work than stay at home. The problem is that the longer people are out of work the harder it is to get back and then I imagine personal targets move slowly downwards.
Posted By: Salmon Re: Wirral claimants have their benefits capped - 1st Sep 2013 4:15pm
Well said Shambo.Unfortunately certain parts of the media home in on exceptional cases of unemployed people who by hook or by crook appear to have all kinds of luxuries.These cases are then taken to be the norm by many.Yes it is true that at the lower ends of pay scales people may be almost as well off as if they did not work.I count myself lucky to have kept in work all my life and I think anybody with any sort of self esteem would much rather work than stay at home. The problem is that the longer people are out of work the harder it is to get back and then I imagine personal targets move slowly downwards.
Posted By: SUExx Re: Wirral claimants have their benefits capped - 1st Sep 2013 4:19pm
Im lucky in that I've worked non stop for 20 years, what ive said is what others I work with now and in the past have said. We all see with our own eyes those that dont work get more help or free stuff but when you work but on low wages you dont get any help. Me, sorry no chip on my shoulder mate, im one of the lucky ones were all of us in the house work.
Posted By: Zubee Re: Wirral claimants have their benefits capped - 1st Sep 2013 4:40pm
It certainly doesn't come across in your previous posts that you feel lucky! And you do have a tendency to generalise about every unemployed person being well off and living the high life. That simply isn't true.

Yes, you'll always get a few people who know how to work the system just as you get some colleagues who know how to look busy without actually doing anything.

If being unemployed was such a good thing then surely a lot more people would be on the dole?
Posted By: SUExx Re: Wirral claimants have their benefits capped - 1st Sep 2013 5:39pm
Oh dear, my posts are some of my opinions and also those of my work colleagues. So im not sitting here posting away with a chip on my shoulder, no im sitting here quite calm actually and adding to the discussion. Yes there are those on benefits because they have lost their job through no fault of their own. But there are those on benefits that are now onto the 3rd generation of no one working and no its not worth getting out of bed to just earn a extra fiver a week.

Im sure you have read the papers about people receiving 25k a year claiming benefits because they can't walk and yet they are pictured on a sking holiday. Everyday there is a story like that, if they were vetted properly at the start millions wouldn't be taken out of the state pension pot.
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Wirral claimants have their benefits capped - 1st Sep 2013 5:48pm
http://www.jointpublicissues.org.uk/truthandliesaboutpoverty/
Posted By: Zubee Re: Wirral claimants have their benefits capped - 1st Sep 2013 6:12pm
I think you're missing the point (deliberately) Sue. These stories that make the headlines do so because they are rare. If they were as common place as you seem to think they certainly wouldn't make front page news.

Ask yourself how many people you actually know (not stories you've read) that are claiming benefits and are well off?
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Wirral claimants have their benefits capped - 1st Sep 2013 9:11pm
Another myth-buster link- you won't find this in the red tops.

http://www.redpepper.org.uk/mythbuster-welfare-reform/

Oh dear, my posts are some of my opinions and also those of my work colleagues. So im not sitting here posting away with a chip on my shoulder, no im sitting here quite calm actually and adding to the discussion. Yes there are those on benefits because they have lost their job through no fault of their own. But there are those on benefits that are now onto the 3rd generation of no one working and no its not worth getting out of bed to just earn a extra fiver a week.

Im sure you have read the papers about people receiving 25k a year claiming benefits because they can't walk and yet they are pictured on a sking holiday. Everyday there is a story like that, if they were vetted properly at the start millions wouldn't be taken out of the state pension pot.
I agree with you on that one Suexx.If some can afford booze and fags while living on benefits.Surely they can afford bedroom tax.
Posted By: SUExx Re: Wirral claimants have their benefits capped - 2nd Sep 2013 6:29pm
Exactly guitarlad, I know im not alone in what ive said. Most people that work all say the same. Its what my co workers say, they see with their own eyes and also know people who dont work but have named clothes and latest phones and are at the pub most day's and nights.

It find it amusing that there are some on here who jump down your throat, me thinks they protest that much that they must be on benefits. So now there is this bedroom tax all hell breaks out, though it doesn't bother them that people in work are doing more work but for less pay or on reduced hours.

Most companies now dont give you sick pay, but people on benefits can be sick and as long as they can manage to go and sign on can then go bsck home to bed and still get their money.
Originally Posted by Shambo

Whats all this 'everyone that works knows'? Don't presume to speak for me, you only speak for scrunched up people who are angry with their own impotency in life. Your selfishness and blind animosity towards your fellow man disgusts me.
I'm just about lucky enough to be in a position to pay myself enough to get by on, and that hasn't always been the case, and may not be the case in the future. My work and the disposable income in my pocket has alway been, and always will, be at the mercy of capitalism. It's not poor people who make your life harder... more likely rich people do.
Yes paying taxes is a pain, the cost of everything has gone up and wages hasn't, but I will NEVER be so delusional as to blame 'non workers' (sic) for my failings with life.
Big telly's? Latest phones with internet? Drink, drugs and they can stay up late? Get real, you're the one with the chip on your shoulder. Everyone I know, everyone I ever met, who is unemployed is miserably poor. Whilst the poor may well be idle you could, at the very least, credit them with the desire to be busy and rich. Don't be so bitter and take ownership of your life.

Well said. Totally agree!
Posted By: Zubee Re: Wirral claimants have their benefits capped - 2nd Sep 2013 7:13pm
Exactly guitarlad, I know im not alone in what ive said. Most people that work all say the same. Its what my co workers say, they see with their own eyes and also know people who dont work but have named clothes and latest phones and are at the pub most day's and nights.

It find it amusing that there are some on here who jump down your throat, me thinks they protest that much that they must be on benefits. So now there is this bedroom tax all hell breaks out, though it doesn't bother them that people in work are doing more work but for less pay or on reduced hours.
Most companies now dont give you sick pay, but people on benefits can be sick and as long as they can manage to go and sign on can then go bsck home to bed and still get their money.

Do you actually know anyone on benefits suexx?

Fyi, i'm not on benefits but me and the people i work with have a lot more empathy for people than you and your unhappy and bitter work mates.

Please wind your neck in and change the record.
Posted By: rossie Re: Wirral claimants have their benefits capped - 2nd Sep 2013 7:17pm
I doubt if you can buy many cigarettes after you have paid your bills out of your £78 a week.
Children whose parents are unemployed or sick may have nice things anybody heard of grandparents aunts uncles etc.
If you get cancer or another illness your income may drop from say £30k to £10k but you will still have the things that you bought when you were able to work.
People in work are better of financially and emotionally.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Wirral claimants have their benefits capped - 2nd Sep 2013 7:29pm

withthat Spot on Sue! Thankyou. With the exception of 11 months (after being made redundant), I've been in employment all my working life. The period on the Old King Cole was grim, but I CUT MY CLOTH ACCORDINGLEY and got by. No baccy, no booze. No lots of other things as well. I got off my ar*e and actively sought a new job. The numpties at the Job Centre were of NO help whatsoever by the way. When I had to go and sign on, It was plain as a pikestaff, those who wanted a job and those who were "at it". We, as a country have to get rid of the latter catergory. (Waits for the howls of anquish) If you can't be arsed looking for work, don't expect ANY handouts at all. Oh.. If you can't be bothered getting a job, DON'T keep breeding to try and get you a few more quid each week. That's MY money! It's a question of attitudes really. Our education system started to fall apart many years ago. Now the numpties are churned out not knowing the slightest about how to write in an understandable way or to use the Queen's English. Just "try" reading some of the posts on wiki ! No employer in their right mind is going to take their likes on. As an aside,I have paid thousands of pounds in taxes to have these oiks educated. It hasn't worked. I WANT A BLOODY BIG REFUND !!!! mad mad mad mad

Posted By: Zubee Re: Wirral claimants have their benefits capped - 2nd Sep 2013 7:45pm
Queens English? Check your spelling! And how come when you were on the dole you were completely genuine but everyone on benefits now is thick, lazy and a scrounger???
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Wirral claimants have their benefits capped - 2nd Sep 2013 8:04pm
Oh dear. Yes - my spelling is not perfect. No excuses other than being really angry when typing out my little piece. The thing is, I admit my grammar and spelling is not 100%, BUT I TRY, unlike some.

To answer your 2nd point. When I was on the dole, I WAS genuine. Nowt hidden, no porkies told. "but everyone on benefits now is thick....." Try as I may, I can't see where I wrote that! Don't, repeat DON'T quote things I never said.
Some wonderful definitions of numpty here

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=numpty

dont shoot the messenger lol
Posted By: SUExx Re: Wirral claimants have their benefits capped - 2nd Sep 2013 8:42pm
And spot on pinzgauer, good to no im not alone.
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Wirral claimants have their benefits capped - 2nd Sep 2013 8:56pm
Sermons in Erlangen, Marburg, Göttingen and Frankfurt (January 1946), as quoted in Martin Niemöller, 1892-1984 (1984) by James Bentley, p. 177.

Als die Nazis die Kommunisten holten,
habe ich geschwiegen;
ich war ja kein Kommunist.

Als sie die Sozialdemokraten einsperrten,
habe ich geschwiegen;
ich war ja kein Sozialdemokrat.

Als sie die Gewerkschafter holten,
habe ich nicht protestiert;
ich war ja kein Gewerkschafter.

Als sie die Juden holten,
habe ich geschwiegen;
ich war ja kein Jude.

Als sie mich holten,
gab es keinen mehr, der protestierte.
When the Nazis came for the communists,
I remained silent;
I was not a communist.

When they locked up the social democrats,
I remained silent;
I was not a social democrat.

When they came for the trade unionists,
I did not speak out;
I was not a trade unionist.

When they came for the Jews,
I remained silent;
I wasn't a Jew.

When they came for me,
there was no one left to speak out.
Exactly Shambo and Suexx.I pay my way, no benefits.Its no joke struggling all the time.Council tax is worse than bedroom tax if you dont pay you go to court.all them cuts are to get the lazy ones making a living out the benefits system to give them the incentive to get up in the morning and go look for work.Its sad them who do most need help dont get it.
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Wirral claimants have their benefits capped - 2nd Sep 2013 9:40pm
Originally Posted by guitarlad
Exactly Shambo and Suexx.
You must be reading something else. Suexxx and Shambo have differing views, in this 'discussion'. Oh dear...
Posted By: Zubee Re: Wirral claimants have their benefits capped - 2nd Sep 2013 10:22pm
Originally Posted by Pinzgauer
Oh dear. Yes - my spelling is not perfect. No excuses other than being really angry when typing out my little piece. The thing is, I admit my grammar and spelling is not 100%, BUT I TRY, unlike some.

To answer your 2nd point. When I was on the dole, I WAS genuine. Nowt hidden, no porkies told. "but everyone on benefits now is thick....." Try as I may, I can't see where I wrote that! Don't, repeat DON'T quote things I never said.

I don't appreciate being shouted at, especially when you're wrong.

What you said was "Now the numpties are churned out not knowing the slightest about how to write in an understandable way or to use the Queen's English. Just "try" reading some of the posts on wiki ! No employer in their right mind is going to take their likes on."

You did call people on benefits thick. And as you were unlucky enough to be one of them for 11 months, you of all people shouldn't being tarring them all with the same brush. And at the same time insulting some Wiki members.

Well done you clap
Posted By: Wench Re: Wirral claimants have their benefits capped - 2nd Sep 2013 10:40pm

Out of that lot, I get one - my Blue Badge. No car though because I don't drive. Only those on certain benefits get free dental care. I would love to know where the holidays are dished out Sue - I would love a week in Scotland again please smile Oh, and I pay my Stamp and £9.85 Tax out of my benefits too.

No big tv here - the one I do have is old and is borrowed off my best friend. No latest phone, don't drink, yes I go to bed at about 0400 until 0800 but don't sleep for those 4 hours because I am in too much pain or feel sick from the heavy duty painkillers. No chips either as I am on a diet so I can have my surgery. The state doesn't own me either, I am not a possession.

I would LOVE to go back to work, so if you would like my disability and the rather nasty operations and treatment I face in the near future then I will HAPPILY swap places happy

Just for the record (again *yawn*), I have worked for 25yrs+ and was made redundant just a few weeks after my accident. I didn't claim benefits until I had used up all my redundancy pay.

Please don't tar us all with the same brush!
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Wirral claimants have their benefits capped - 2nd Sep 2013 11:11pm
But....but....but...... Wench. My Daily Newspaper does not report stories like this!!! This cannot be true!!!!!
Posted By: Abbot Re: Wirral claimants have their benefits capped - 3rd Sep 2013 1:37am
I honestly do believe that the people that think that people on benefits are scroungers, have big TV's, go on lovely holidays all the time etc are completely ignorant and have no idea about the true scale of things.
As someone said before, do you really think that the papers would be reporting this kind of nonsense about people on benefits if it were common practise. Only the rare cases are reported - why? - because they are extreme cases.
Its like some of you like to conjure up pure crap and quit frankly bulls*** about people on benefits because you type of people need a scapegoat to blame for this so called recession.
I understand its only human nature to find someone to blame but f*** me blaming the poor and bringing them to their knees even more so than what they already are is pure evil
Posted By: chriskay Re: Wirral claimants have their benefits capped - 3rd Sep 2013 10:51am
Originally Posted by Zubee

You did call people on benefits thick. And as you were unlucky enough to be one of them for 11 months, you of all people shouldn't being tarring them all with the same brush.

You've twice accused Pinzgauer of calling people on benefits "thick": where?, I can't see it.
And far from tarring all people on benefits with the same brush, he makes a clear division.
Quote Pinzgauer "It was plain as a pikestaff, those who wanted a job and those who were "at it"." End quote.
Posted By: Wench Re: Wirral claimants have their benefits capped - 3rd Sep 2013 12:14pm
But....but....but...... Wench. My Daily Newspaper does not report stories like this!!! This cannot be true!!!!!

Maybe someone from the Daily Fail will pick my story up and make me famous for 5 seconds wink

I paid a lot of tax & stamp when I was working. I dropped over £20k pa when I lost my job. Not once when I got paid did I moan about how much I was paying in tax etc because I thought "there by the grace of the Gods go I". I didn't mind helping those who were less fortunate than me, but that's the type of person I am. I was of the mindset that at least if I ever needed it, the "system" would be there to help me. I never in a million years thought I would end up part of that system. And that is the point - you never know what is going to happen from one second to the next. If you survive today at work, unscathed and in good health, then be happy. You never know what tomorrow will bring.

Originally Posted by guitarlad
Exactly Shambo and Suexx.
You must be reading something else. Suexxx and Shambo have differing views, in this 'discussion'. Oh dear...
Pmsl.
Posted By: SUExx Re: Wirral claimants have their benefits capped - 3rd Sep 2013 4:59pm
Well today in work just out of interest I asked someone what they thought about people on benefits. Their reply was, yeah fine with people getting benefits that really do need them. But there are those that milk the system for what they can get.
They said they knew someone like that,it was a fella who was signing on but working on the side.
So it does go on and no one can tell me any different.
Posted By: Rambo Re: Wirral claimants have their benefits capped - 3rd Sep 2013 8:31pm
As a working person, doing on average 50+ hours a week, just over the minimum wage, I am still eligible for working tax credits, the child tax credits and child benefit has ended as my youngest is 18 very soon. I am paying full rent and council tax, water, gas, electric etc. I have broadband, Virgin TV and even a mobile phone! As I am on 'some kind of benefit' that I have paid my tax and stamp for for some years, should I be means tested? Oh, wait, I am, tax credit IS means tested!! You don't get it if you earn above a threshold! I obviously don't!
As an aside, I know of cleaners in one of my previous employs who take home toilet rolls, black bags, soap, mops, even vacuum cleaners as a 'perk' of the job! How is this any different from benefit claimants 'milking' the system>
Posted By: granny Re: Wirral claimants have their benefits capped - 3rd Sep 2013 10:04pm
Well today in work just out of interest I asked someone what they thought about people on benefits. Their reply was, yeah fine with people getting benefits that really do need them. But there are those that milk the system for what they can get.
They said they knew someone like that,it was a fella who was signing on but working on the side.

Firstly Suexxx, had this person been sensible, she should have reported the fella. If more people did, it might just leave more paid employment available for those who are on benefits.

It seems strange to me that everyone is very protective about those who try to rip the system off. Surely those who are unemployed on Wiki must agree that benefit scroungers are not to be supported, because in the long term it affects the opinions of the population. Nobody here from the umemployed group of people, seem to be able to come out and speak the truth.
So far as I am concerned with the disability issues, if one can answer a phone, use a computer, get on a bus,and write, they should at least be able to seek employment,there is a huge drive to help people with disabilities back into work (unless they are mental health issues, which are more difficult)
No one is opposed to people who are genuinely unemployed as it's a dire situation to be in,but for some reason only the employed can seem to see how the scroungers mulitply.Maybe many of those have also been unemployed at some time, but because they were the genuine ones, it was a far better option to go out, find work and do something positive for their own mental well being, instead of sitting at home dwelling on their problems....which is soul destroying. The more benefit scroungers there are, the less those genuine benefit seekers are likely to receive.
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Wirral claimants have their benefits capped - 3rd Sep 2013 10:29pm
*absolutley fooking speechless*

Form an orderly queue now..... I shall try and arrange a *tag along with mum type work experience day for you all*

Nazis unwelcome.
Posted By: granny Re: Wirral claimants have their benefits capped - 3rd Sep 2013 10:43pm
*absolutley fooking speechless*

Form an orderly queue now..... I shall try and arrange a *tag along with mum type work experience day for you all*

Nazis unwelcome.

Good. Pleased you are speecless for once! Most don't seem to take on board what you come out with anyway. We can't all agree about all things, can we?
...and what's with this Nazi/German hook you are into at the moment? think
Posted By: Abbot Re: Wirral claimants have their benefits capped - 3rd Sep 2013 11:13pm
Well as a person who hasn't had a foreign holiday for years and can't afford a car I don't very much like my taxes being spent on treating people who persist in breaking bones skiing or who whizz up motorways at 80 then need expensive NHS interventions following a crash. Even less do I like my taxes being spent on military adventurism or renewing Trident. Neither do I much like them putting housing benefit into the deep pockets of BTL landlords - I'd much rather my taxes helped fund a large scale social housing programme, so giving decent affordable housing to many who need it and also saving money long-term.

But hey, we're all different.
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Wirral claimants have their benefits capped - 3rd Sep 2013 11:22pm
'Most dont take on board what I come out with'?!

Full marks for observational skills, you may also note that the same applies to your views too?

I speak for myself, I do not need nor wish nor ask for people to back up my points of view.

I agree, not everbody thinks the same. Be boring if we did.

As for my Nazi comments, perhaps the connotation is lost on some... never mind....
Posted By: granny Re: Wirral claimants have their benefits capped - 3rd Sep 2013 11:47pm
As for my Nazi comments, perhaps the connotation is lost on some... never mind....

You should try Nietzsche!

Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Wirral claimants have their benefits capped - 3rd Sep 2013 11:56pm
I have-its Bollocks. Goodnight.
Posted By: granny Re: Wirral claimants have their benefits capped - 4th Sep 2013 12:00am
I have-its Bollocks. Goodnight.

That's because you don't understand him. If you did, you'd have a degree in philosophy! Night smile
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Wirral claimants have their benefits capped - 4th Sep 2013 12:03am
Just the one Degree thanks- not in German ideaological bollocks. Goodnight.
Posted By: granny Re: Wirral claimants have their benefits capped - 4th Sep 2013 10:02am
Housecraft is a good degree to have..helps one budget. smile

Firstly Suexxx, had this person been sensible, she should have reported the fella. If more people did, it might just leave more paid employment available for those who are on benefits.

It seems strange to me that everyone is very protective about those who try to rip the system off. Surely those who are unemployed on Wiki must agree that benefit scroungers are not to be supported, because in the long term it affects the opinions of the population. Nobody here from the umemployed group of people, seem to be able to come out and speak the truth.
So far as I am concerned with the disability issues, if one can answer a phone, use a computer, get on a bus,and write, they should at least be able to seek employment,there is a huge drive to help people with disabilities back into work (unless they are mental health issues, which are more difficult)
No one is opposed to people who are genuinely unemployed as it's a dire situation to be in,but for some reason only the employed can seem to see how the scroungers mulitply.Maybe many of those have also been unemployed at some time, but because they were the genuine ones, it was a far better option to go out, find work and do something positive for their own mental well being, instead of sitting at home dwelling on their problems....which is soul destroying. The more benefit scroungers there are, the less those genuine benefit seekers are likely to receive.
Thats exactly my thoughts.Granny.Its just a shame ones who are working there butts off get no help while others milk the system.
Posted By: chriskay Re: Wirral claimants have their benefits capped - 4th Sep 2013 10:55am
I've been recording the Channel 4 programme "Benefits Britain 1949" and I've just watched episode 3 which was broadcast on August 26th. There was one unemployed fork lift driver who was desperately trying to find a job (good for him), a middle age woman who claimed to be unable to work owing to idiopathic musculoskeletal pain. When she was helped in the 1949 way, she found that she couldn't manage rubbish sorting but then discovered that she was capable of office work and quite liked it. The third specimen was a young man who refused to look for a job and expected the state to support him while he attempted to become a rapper!!! When he was confronted with the 1949 situation, in which he had all his benefits removed and was forced to go back to live with his parents, he eventually applied for a call centre job.
Maybe there are lessons to be learned.
p.s. "idiopathic" is a very useful medical word: it simply means, cause unknown.
Posted By: SUExx Re: Wirral claimants have their benefits capped - 4th Sep 2013 11:33am
Its funny as well how many people now have these motorised wheel chairs. There so common place now, they are like cars. Im sure the drivers of these said wheel chairs are getting younger or is that me just getting older.
Posted By: chriskay Re: Wirral claimants have their benefits capped - 4th Sep 2013 12:30pm
I'm sure the drivers of these said wheel chairs are getting younger or is that me just getting older?

Bit of both probably. At least they allow some of the clinically obese some mobility; can be a bit of an obstruction in the supermarket.
Posted By: SUExx Re: Wirral claimants have their benefits capped - 4th Sep 2013 5:08pm
Interesting news item on granda reports at the moment. About workers wages, how wages have been frozen and how workers in the region are less well off then they where before since the cuts came in.
someone e mailed in and said they would be better off on benefits.
Posted By: buddy Re: Wirral claimants have their benefits capped - 4th Sep 2013 7:24pm
I was made redundant in 1997, and after a full time employment record of 42 years, I was awarded (dole) of £41.62/week!

Don't know what that equates to today, but I certainly could not live on it then.
Interesting news item on granda reports at the moment. About workers wages, how wages have been frozen and how workers in the region are less well off then they where before since the cuts came in.
someone e mailed in and said they would be better off on benefits.
Iwatched that was very interesting Suexx
The problem with today's society is that for most of the people who are on benefits, they have no incentives to work as they are actually better off on benefits.
Posted By: SUExx Re: Wirral claimants have their benefits capped - 5th Sep 2013 5:39am
Originally Posted by Christelle
The problem with today's society is that for most of the people who are on benefits, they have no incentives to work as they are actually better off on benefits.

Exactly, thats what I've been saying all along.
Posted By: buddy Re: Wirral claimants have their benefits capped - 5th Sep 2013 6:49am
Oop's my above post should read £41.62/fortnight
Posted By: derekdwc Re: Wirral claimants have their benefits capped - 5th Sep 2013 10:36am
I remember in the 1960s you could leave one job and go straight in to another because there was so many companies about and because there was a smaller workforce they paid a reasonable wage to attract employees. (sadly all the major manufacturing firms have now disappeared and the various smaller firms that supplied various services to them).
If you were unemployed then folks tended to think you were a scrounger living off benefits because jobs were available.
Today in Wirral it is mostly service Industries where no goods are produced and a much larger potential workforce which then allows businesses to set the minimum terms of employment in the name of profits.
I truly detest those companies that make huge profits but pay next to nothing in taxes by evasion, loopholes and other means.
If you do business in a country you should pay taxes in that country.

As Napoleon said "Britain is a nation of shopkeepers"

Apologies for going a bit off topic.
I really should have started a new one about Taxes and companies and who are the investors etc) but like the media didn't want folks thinking too much about it (shush)
Posted By: Rambo Re: Wirral claimants have their benefits capped - 5th Sep 2013 12:57pm

What absolute drivel! I have been on benefits and you most certainly can not live on them, you can survive, barely, but it's not what I would describe as living!
Posted By: Wench Re: Wirral claimants have their benefits capped - 5th Sep 2013 1:53pm

What "truth" is it you seek?

As for the disabled working comment, I applied for a few jobs. Some I was overqualified for, one I was told that I didn't get it because I had a higher Law qualification than the Practice Manager so was seen as a threat as why else would I have only gone for a Legal Secretary's post, and the other I was told they weren't prepared to employ me as I needed too much time off and they would have to pay agency to cover my hours.

This leaves me with a dilemma - am I honest about health issues, physio, injections, surgeries etc and not get the jobs or do I lie, get found out, lose my job and end up back at square one?
Posted By: Madge Re: Wirral claimants have their benefits capped - 5th Sep 2013 2:11pm
Wench, granny can find you a job, im sure you must be able to push a button now and again , therefore your capable of work i think she invented ATOS

Personally im speechless at some of the people on here views, sheeeple !!!!
Posted By: granny Re: Wirral claimants have their benefits capped - 5th Sep 2013 3:13pm
Wench, if you want to take it personally, then that is your choice.
My post realated to benefit scroungers and I assume you are not one. So please, don't constantly refer back to yourself everytime I make a post.
You obviously have many problems as you have mentioned on many occaasions, and I have not, repeat not, included you in any of my opinions.

There's many a person who has a bad back, a bad head, stress and various probems, which would not affect there ability to seek work. Some of the problem rise from the fact that they, who do stay at home for a long time, loose their confidence and the ability to see they have something to offer.

Having worked in the public sector for numerous years, I saw many a person who were fleecing the system, I was also involved a degree with people suffering severe disabilities, and therefore I know the difference.
Posted By: Rambo Re: Wirral claimants have their benefits capped - 5th Sep 2013 4:05pm
Originally Posted by Rambo

What absolute drivel! I have been on benefits and you most certainly can not live on them, you can survive, barely, but it's not what I would describe as living!

But people do - and they seem to be able to feed dogs as well as purchase Sky TV which many who are working cannot afford to do. Getting rent and rates paid as well as prescription charges, no bus fares to get to work, no work collections for leavers, people getting married retiring etc, helluva cost, makes it almost unaffordable to work for the unskilled. Look at the true cost not just what you receive in cash from my taxes paid from my pension to help you to survive quite well it does seem.

Who are these 'people' you refer to? The extremely small number who work the system, are then highlighted by the media thus turning the non-scrounging population against all benefit claimants? The way you talk Frank, you would think your taxes paid for every single welfare pound that has been spent. Did I say that it was only the cash that made being on benefits no kind of life? No, I said being on benefit was survivable only and not 'quite well' at all!
Posted By: granny Re: Wirral claimants have their benefits capped - 5th Sep 2013 4:32pm
Rambo, there are lots of benefit cheats, for whatever their reasons might be.
As I write, there is one person I know,who is very highly qualified, and as required, applies for jobs. The ones she applies for are often 30-40 miles away and if she gets to interview stage,she always finds something to kick off about in the interview,and walks out! Thus, knowing full well, she will not be offered the position.
It suits her not to be working, for a number of reasons.Financially,I have no idea how she manages but she does, and quite well. She can have her nights out, has a dog,runs a car and lives in a 3 bed detached house....so there must be more benefits for some, than others.
Posted By: SUExx Re: Wirral claimants have their benefits capped - 5th Sep 2013 5:18pm
Funny how the ones on benefits seem on the defensive, AGAIN we do know wench that there are those like your self who have had ops and treatment and are in pain and who cant walk or move.
None of us have ant problem with that, its the ones who don't or don't want to work who haven't worked for years who can walk, talk, climb, enjoy days/nights out , still carry on their life, smoke drink, socialise , go on trips etc, on dole money.
Posted By: justice Re: Wirral claimants have their benefits capped - 5th Sep 2013 5:36pm
People on employment support allowance alone cannot afford extras. People who get incapacity and dla(or whatever the current name is) mobility and carers allowance for their partners are the ones with spare cash.Only incapacity is means tested the rest the sky is the limit.There are households were both parents are on dla and they get carers allowance to care for each other.Throw in a couple of kids with syndromes real or imagined and you are into the luxury class.
Granny I suspect that your subject is mentally ill and thus qualifies for the full works.
Posted By: Wench Re: Wirral claimants have their benefits capped - 5th Sep 2013 6:04pm
I'm not taking anything personally, just giving you an example to *try* and get across that not ALL those on benefits are scroungers. If people would stop tarring ALL with the same brush, I wouldn't keep repeating myself. Oh, and it's not to every post you write. I can't give you examples apart from my own to answer your questions or statements as I don't know anyone elses personal situation, only my own smile

The question about the truth you seek was a genuine across the board question. I DO have major issues with those who treat it as a career and have never had/never intend to have a job and keep breeding, thus perpetuating the next generation of "never worked" and those who you see on these "scrounger" shows on BBC1 etc. The problem lies with not only the fact they can get away with it, but also the fact that it's all the likes of the Daily Fail and the BBC etc seem to focus on, thus making the "working people" and those with access to the outrage bus keys say things like "all people on benefits are scroungers" or "have big tv,s, latest phones(with internet), smokes, drinks, goes to bed at all hours, sits on pc all night, have chips on their shoulders thinking the state owns(sic)* them more".

*owes (possibly).
Posted By: Rambo Re: Wirral claimants have their benefits capped - 5th Sep 2013 6:26pm
Granny, the over payment, by fraud, 2011/2012 was 0.7% of the total benefit bill, less than 1/100th! How is this lots? The one case you know of, why don't you shop her, this is the number; 0800 854 440. Are you in the interview with her? How do you know what she does in the interview?
Sue, who are these 'ones on benefit' who are on the defensive? Who are these people who can 'walk, talk, climb, enjoy days/nights out , still carry on their life, smoke drink, socialise , go on trips etc, on dole money' I haven't read anywhere on this thread from these people who have defended their lifestyle, I'm sure any benefit claimants who are reading this are just as fed up with their lack of money and prospects as anyone else who has tried to get by on the 'minimum the law says you need to live on' minus the mandatory council tax payment they now have to make and the 'bedroom tax' that some have to find. be grateful you have a job and stop making generalised, derogatory comments about a fictitious group of people who you don't know!
Posted By: SUExx Re: Wirral claimants have their benefits capped - 5th Sep 2013 6:49pm
Originally Posted by Wench
I'm not taking anything personally, just giving you an example to *try* and get across that not ALL those on benefits are scroungers. If people would stop tarring ALL with the same brush, I wouldn't keep repeating myself.

[quote=SUExx]
we do know wench that there are those like your self who have had ops and treatment and are in pain and who cant walk or move.
None of us have ant problem with that, its the ones who don't or don't want to work who haven't worked for years

Wasn't aware I was tarring all with the same brush
Posted By: Wench Re: Wirral claimants have their benefits capped - 5th Sep 2013 8:09pm
I didn't mention your name in the post you have taken the snippet from Sue think but, your post (quoted verbatim below) does say if you're on ANY kind of benefit, and differentiates between non workers (sic) and refers to such people as "they". Ergo, one would surmise from that that you are indeed tarring all with the same brush. That is the post to which I was referring. Also, by saying any kind of benefit, that also applies to people who work and claim any of the tax credits, any child related benefits (no idea what they're called) and pensions. Maybe that's not what you meant, but it's certainly what you typed. Sometimes the written word is easily misinterpreted due to lack of intonation etc. Hope that helps.

Originally Posted by Sneezy
withthat

Yes sneezy, those on benefits don't think about what they get for free already they want to bleed those that work dry so they can have even bigger tv,s and more booze.
We have all seen those we no that don't work in pubs boozing away the days during the summer time , getting taxis to the dole office to sign on and oh someone that was a typical looking smackhead sitting on the train the other day with a can of beer talking on his I PHONE.

Stepping away from this now as I really don't think there's any point in me trying to discuss it (in general, not mentioning any names, just as a general discussion) as all I can do is give my own personal point of view, as opposed to sweeping generalisations. But I will, at the risk of annoying some, repeat myself one last time and say that I DO have a problem with those who have never/don't want to work and the ones who screw the system because not only is it unfair to those who DO work/want to work, it also gives those who are genuine a bad name.
Originally Posted by Rambo
Granny, the over payment, by fraud, 2011/2012 was 0.7% of the total benefit bill, less than 1/100th!

This statistic is invalid: it has been quoted before on this site. It can only be based on detected fraud; the actual amount may be an order of magnitude larger. (And yes, I do know the literal meaning of "order of magnitude").
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Wirral claimants have their benefits capped - 5th Sep 2013 10:49pm
Not long back from Merseyside Peoples Assemby. Anybody familiar with this guy- Laurence Clarke?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laurence_Clark_(comedian)

He highlighted the sheeple mentality perfectly.

Posted By: Wench Re: Wirral claimants have their benefits capped - 6th Sep 2013 10:04am
UK Welfare Spending.

Breakdown of benefits cost.

just to put the record straight , I'm on pension credit which is considered a benefit,I get a (free eye test,) not free glasses, and I don't get free holiday's
© Wirral-Wikiwirral