Forums
Posted By: Moonstar Street Lighting Rationing in Wirral - 12th Jul 2013 12:36pm
They are about to turn off some of our street lighting and have kindly given us a list of the areas affected so we can avoid them. WBC expect to save £30k - I have a feeling it might actually cost us a lot more than that should things go badly wrong in the dark.

http://www.wirralglobe.co.uk/news/1...e_going_out_to_save_council_cash/?ref=mc
Posted By: chriskay Re: Street Lighting Rationing in Wirral - 12th Jul 2013 3:19pm
It you're going to quote, it would be good if you'd quote accurately. According to the article, the saving will be £83,000 this year; the £30,000 is the saving from not carrying out inspections. Anyway, what's the fuss? We managed without any street lighting during the '39-'45 war. Good torches are pretty cheap. wink
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Street Lighting Rationing in Wirral - 12th Jul 2013 3:49pm
Up until the late 1970's, a lot of side roads on the Wirral had an "Early Off" facility on the time switches for the streetlights. The usual sketch was every other lamp goes out at midnight. Think of the savings THAT made ! The introduction of photocells (much cheaper than the dependable timeswitches) put paid to the "Early Off" option.

When you see a dayburning lamp now - sometimes for weeks on end, it's a safe bet that the "much cheaper" photocell has gone tits up!

It's called progress !! frown
Posted By: Santos Re: Street Lighting Rationing in Wirral - 12th Jul 2013 3:52pm
Originally Posted by chriskay
Anyway, what's the fuss? We managed without any street lighting during the '39-'45 war. Good torches are pretty cheap. wink

Yes but we did not have the number of low life thieves then that abounds today.
Posted By: Sanchez Re: Street Lighting Rationing in Wirral - 12th Jul 2013 4:44pm
Its an absolute joke, LED bulbs are available for street lights and the roads are so much safer with them for drivers and pedestrians.
Posted By: Tess65 Re: Street Lighting Rationing in Wirral - 12th Jul 2013 4:57pm
With issues like this sometimes I feel we are going back in time instead of forwards.

I noticed that lately driving through the 4 bridges is like driving in a blackout, the lights have been turned off there for whatever reason for a few months now.

Yes there was a blackout in the war, but many many people were squished and killed in car accidents as a direct result, and as Santos says crime thrives when it can be concealed by darkness. I wouldn't feel safe walking down a blacked out street for all kinds of reasons.
Posted By: Moonstar Re: Street Lighting Rationing in Wirral - 12th Jul 2013 6:55pm
It you're going to quote, it would be good if you'd quote accurately. According to the article, the saving will be £83,000 this year; the £30,000 is the saving from not carrying out inspections. Anyway, what's the fuss? We managed without any street lighting during the '39-'45 war. Good torches are pretty cheap. wink

Why are you such a wet blanket?
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Street Lighting Rationing in Wirral - 12th Jul 2013 7:14pm
Tess, I too have noticed that Tower Road has been in darkness of an evening for a while. It is worrying as it is the only direct route from Birkenhead to Seacombe for pedestrians.

The 'new prom' is in darkness too- not good for the doggies night time walk.
Posted By: Tess65 Re: Street Lighting Rationing in Wirral - 12th Jul 2013 7:32pm
Not the 'new prom' too?! We often take our dogs out very late at night to the beach, and we walk them along there sometimes if the tide is in, thanks for the heads up Rudebox as now I'll make sure we take our torches if we know it's a high tide.

And yes blacking out Tower Road - what with bendy roads, odd cambers, roundabouts, drivers from the ferry port unaware of the area, and stumbling happy drunkards walking home over the four bridges - that is worrying.
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Street Lighting Rationing in Wirral - 12th Jul 2013 7:41pm
Originally Posted by Tess65
Not the 'new prom' too?! We often take our dogs out very late at night to the beach, and we walk them along there sometimes if the tide is in, thanks for the heads up Rudebox as now I'll make sure we take our torches if we know it's a high tide.

And yes blacking out Tower Road - what with bendy roads, odd cambers, roundabouts, drivers from the ferry port unaware of the area, and stumbling happy drunkards walking home over the four bridges - that is worrying.
One of our dogs is black and so we have to be especially alert when there are cyclists about. We did have a hi viz strap for him but the buckle broke.
frown
Posted By: Tess65 Re: Street Lighting Rationing in Wirral - 12th Jul 2013 8:03pm
Ours have those dangling flashing lights you can get that clip to their collars, they flash red blue and white and are really small but quite robust as they have lasted (with battery changes) over two years now, despite frequent dips in the sea.

I was bothered at first because any flashing light around my neck would give me a mega migraine in no time at all, but the dogs don't seem to mind!

I got ours from ebay, they were really cheap only about a quid each at the time, from China I think, but lots of sellers have them.

Posted By: chriskay Re: Street Lighting Rationing in Wirral - 12th Jul 2013 9:29pm
Originally Posted by Moonstar

Why are you such a wet blanket?

Only asking you to quote accurately. I'm not a wet blanket, just a realist.
Posted By: chriskay Re: Street Lighting Rationing in Wirral - 12th Jul 2013 9:31pm
Originally Posted by Tess65
Ours have those dangling flashing lights you can get that clip to their collars, they flash red blue and white and are really small but quite robust as they have lasted (with battery changes) over two years now, despite frequent dips in the sea.

I was bothered at first because any flashing light around my neck would give me a mega migraine in no time at all, but the dogs don't seem to mind!

I got ours from ebay, they were really cheap only about a quid each at the time, from China I think, but lots of sellers have them.

Sounds like a great idea (or get a white dog) grin

@ santos; a valid point: that's why I choose not to live there.
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Street Lighting Rationing in Wirral - 12th Jul 2013 9:37pm
Duh! Get a white dog? Are you being serious Chris?
Posted By: ZipperClub Re: Street Lighting Rationing in Wirral - 12th Jul 2013 9:47pm
Someones name should be changed to Mr-Belittler, half of his posts are about people not spelling correctly, bad grammar etc..
Alas not all of us can spell correctly, so they invented the name "Typo" for spelling errors.
Mr-Belittler should take this into account before his usual gripes are thrust upon us. He sometimes just moans and has no input to the topic in hand. Sad Sod he is.
Posted By: chriskay Re: Street Lighting Rationing in Wirral - 13th Jul 2013 10:12am
Originally Posted by RUDEBOX
Duh! Get a white dog? Are you being serious Chris?

What do you think?
Posted By: Pablo Re: Street Lighting Rationing in Wirral - 13th Jul 2013 11:16am
I prefer night time walks in dark
Posted By: SUExx Re: Street Lighting Rationing in Wirral - 13th Jul 2013 11:50am
Originally Posted by ZipperClub
Someones name should be changed to Mr-Belittler, half of his posts are about people not spelling correctly, bad grammar etc..
Alas not all of us can spell correctly, so they invented the name "Typo" for spelling errors.
Mr-Belittler should take this into account before his usual gripes are thrust upon us. He sometimes just moans and has no input to the topic in hand. Sad Sod he is.

I noticed that ages ago, its what has ruined a once good site.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral