Forums
Posted By: donni Suspended sentence for £37,000 benefit fraud mum - 19th Jan 2013 12:37pm
A mum was given a suspended sentence after claiming £37,000 in benefits she was not entitled to.

Donna Hesketh, 41, of Hinderton Road, Birkenhead, was sentenced to four months imprisonment, suspended for two years, given an 18 month community order and ordered to carry out 100 hours of unpaid work at Liverpool Crown Court.

She was charged with four counts of dishonestly failing to give prompt notification of a change of circumstances.

Hesketh had claimed the £37,000 in income support, jobseekers allowance, housing benefit and council tax benefit over a period of three years after failing to let the authorities know when a partner moved in with her.

The court heard Hesketh, who has two children aged 16 and 19, had suffered health problems since she had been arrested.

She is currently in employment but on sick leave.

Sentencing, Judge Stephen Clarke said: “The reason why it has affected your health badly is really because you are a decent person.

“The money itself has gone into the family, there is no suggestion it was used for fancy holidays or buying a car.”

Judge Clarke said he had noted the work Hesketh did with young people in the community and her “compassionate nature”.

He added: “But you knew what you were doing was wrong and you must appreciate in these very straitened times when benefits are under attack from all quarters what you did plays some small part in this.

“The whole procedure since you were first arrested has taken its toll upon your health.

“The claim wasn’t fraudulent from the outset and you are endeavouring to try and pay back as much as you possibly can for your dishonesty.”

Hesketh was given a concurrent sentence of four months imprisonment for each charges, each suspended for two years.

http://www.wirralnews.co.uk/wirral-...for-37-000-benefit-fraud-80491-32565549/
What a joke! Similar to the Margaret Moran fiasco. Both suddenly became ill when rumbled. What a shame. Both should have gone down. This woman STOLE roughly £240 a week for THREE YEARS!
stealing is stealing, she stole from the taxpayer not the goverment she is probably only sorry because she got caught, glad to hear she was found out. no sympathy at all .
withthat
Should have been straight to prison.
strange as it doesnt say she has to pay it back and with all the government cuts there will probably be an increase of people working on the side to make ends meet, iv never thought about it before but people who do "foreigners" out side of working hours dont pay tax on that money so could they also be arrested for stealing from the tax man?
Technically and morally yes. But, somehow a person avoiding paying the taxman from their earnings in the way you described doesnt seem as bad as someone physically having money OUT of the tax system booty bag, that the rest of us have already possibly scrimped to put IN . But - it is really the same and people who are caught not declaring earnings, ARE prosecuted ,albeit they probably only get a smacked hand.
thanks venice for explaining that, as i said its never crossed my mind before, you only hear about unemployed being caught or people registered self employed getting caught for non payment of taxes
What's someone living with her got to do with it?

So because she had someone living with her for 3 years and she didn't tell them she's been called a thief?

I don't get it.
Originally Posted by rocks
strange as it doesnt say she has to pay it back and with all the government cuts there will probably be an increase of people working on the side to make ends meet, iv never thought about it before but people who do "foreigners" out side of working hours dont pay tax on that money so could they also be arrested for stealing from the tax man?

“The claim wasn’t fraudulent from the outset and you are endeavouring to try and pay back as much as you possibly can for your dishonesty.”

Why is she a thief?
Either it was fraud or it wasn't? confused

This article doesn't make sence?
Originally Posted by _Ste_

So because she had someone living with her for 3 years and she didn't tell them she's been called a thief?

I don't get it.

You either claim as a single parent or as a couple....she was obviously claiming to be a single parent whilst having a partner living with her who was probably working,......so yes she was a thief for not declaring him being there !!
Originally Posted by _Ste_

I don't get it.

I'm going to make a few guesses here based on what the article says, and the bits it misses out.

Her original claim was based on her declared circumstances, living alone, limited or no income etc, and from that she was given a certain amount of benefits either to supplement or replace her income.

At some point (3 years ago, but after the claim was originally made), somebody moved in with her, now this would have been a significant change in her circumstances, especially if the person who moved in was working, however she did not notify anyone of this and continued to receive the various benefits (if you're getting your rent/mortgage paid this can become a large amount of money very quickly).

I think the "thief" part is because she would have been charged under the Theft Act, for dishonestly obtaining the benefits (money) with the "Intention to Permanently Deprive" the department paying it of those funds.

Just my guess.
off topic but this is also whats worrying for people who are being told to take in a lodger to help with the bedroom tax, how will it work? and how many people will pretend their partners are just lodgers if it benefits them, it seems a very grey area!
Good point rocks !!

If she was put in prison, what chance will she have of paying any money back and possibly more benefits may have to be paid for her children and partner to live in the same home.
She'd have been better off doing this fraud and salting a few million away click

Two businessmen have been found guilty in London of defrauding banks of hundreds of millions of pounds to fund a lavish lifestyle and build a commercial property empire, in their second conviction for deception and forgery in 18 years.

she could always have got off her a**e and got a job ?
37 grand!!...for a bit of community work...yes please!
I suppose all the peeps that have commented on this family's misery have always paid their dues fully and never dodged a penny tax or done a days work for a back hander in their life,this woman has a family who have suffered and are still suffering leave them alone, stones and glass houses comes to mind,I wonder if we will be reading about any of you in our glorious press in the near future?
Originally Posted by oldpm01
she could always have got off her a**e and got a job ?

Think if you read it properly she has got a job!
What the judge said is on a par with the remarks by the judge in another case that "it takes courage to burgle someones house." 37k is a nice little earner and sentence won't discourage others from doing the same.
Originally Posted by venice
Technically and morally yes. But, somehow a person avoiding paying the taxman from their earnings in the way you described doesnt seem as bad as someone physically having money OUT of the tax system booty bag, that the rest of us have already possibly scrimped to put IN . But - it is really the same and people who are caught not declaring earnings, ARE prosecuted ,albeit they probably only get a smacked hand.

Equally as bad. Many not declaring their earnings are also claiming. It's been proven many times.Not declaring earnings is viewed by the HMRC as 'guilty'. They don't really have grading systems.
HMRC have powers beyond powers and can implicate anyone they feel may have also colluded in the tax avidance.

A leading professional body has warned that a householder who pays a tradesman in cash in return for a discount, in the knowledge that the tradesman intends to conceal the income, could be colluding in tax fraud.

Miles Dean, Founder of Milestone International Tax Partners, suggested that Gauke had failed to understand that paying someone in cash to avoid VAT was fraud. ‘[A VAT-registered] provider of the services is obliged by law to charge VAT – if he doesn’t and the customer agrees to pay cash without an invoice the two have colluded to defraud HMRC. This isn’t tax avoidance, it is fraud,’ he said.

http://www.taxjournal.com/tj/articl...ash-may-be-colluding-tax-fraud-says-ciot

So at the end of the day, Futurepast's comment has probably hit the nail on the head!
The government says that a married couple can live on £111 a week. I'd like to see them try; they probably spend that much on lunch!
I work part time and look after my disabled wife and after a stressful year waiting for an ESA appeal she won..a massive £24 a week.

In the meantime, BILLIONS go uncollected from rich tax evaders and avoiders.

Although I'm honest I can understand why some needy people aren't. Perhaps the defecits should be addressed against the rich dodgers instead?

off topic but this is also whats worrying for people who are being told to take in a lodger to help with the bedroom tax, how will it work? and how many people will pretend their partners are just lodgers if it benefits them, it seems a very grey area!

Rocks, I think people can charge up to a certain amount, tax free for lodgers. It used to be £75 per week you would need to check it out. Therefore, that would cover the extra BT if applicable. Nice little earner if you can do it!
A bit off the topic - apologies ( I tend to wander off topic every now and again it helps the brain to tick over)

I think I've read taking something as trivial as a pen or pencil or roll of sellotape from the work place is classified as stealing. (Can it be used as an excuse to sack you?)
I feel a bit guilty taking a pen or pencil from Argos or a betting shop - am I guilty of stealing from them?

Please don't name and shame me or put me in the stocks if so
Originally Posted by derekdwc
A bit off the topic - apologies ( I tend to wander off topic every now and again it helps the brain to tick over)

I think I've read taking something as trivial as a pen or pencil or roll of sellotape from the work place is classified as stealing. (Can it be used as an excuse to sack you?)
I feel a bit guilty taking a pen or pencil from Argos or a betting shop - am I guilty of stealing from them?

Derekdwc....shame on you shocked Yes, pilfering from the work place is or can be viewed as a sackable offence. Not your property!! Simple
Originally Posted by granny

Rocks, I think people can charge up to a certain amount, tax free for lodgers. It used to be £75 per week you would need to check it out. Therefore, that would cover the extra BT if applicable. Nice little earner if you can do it!

I always thought that in council and WPH properties you weren't allowed to rent a room to a non dependant
If it allowed ,what sort of check can be made on that person

I shudder to think of the type of person who could move in to your home (murderer, rapist, child molester,thief,druggie or drug dealer selling drugs from your home and what rights would you have to evict them

Maybe some of these posts should have been in the bedroom tax topic - sorry
Originally Posted by granny
[quote=derekdwc]A bit off the topic - apologies ( I tend to wander off topic every now and again it helps the brain to tick over)

--------------------------------------------
Dont think anyone is going to hang you for that Derek - is anyone 100% innocent of such 'crimes'? !!

BUT -- I remember as a small child, walking in the countryside in Spring with my 'before his time ' 'green' grandad .He showed me a patch of unusual wild flowers . I rushed over to pick some and I was sternly rebuked because 'other countryside lovers following the path this day, would love to see this rare patch' . I protested -one or two wouldnt make any difference, but it fell on deaf ears. Walking in the same place a few days later- not a flower in sight! The explanation from my grandad - all the people following on the walk that day werent as thoughtful as us, they probably all picked 'just one or two' and look whats happened.
Of course in actual fact the flowers had just died a natural death , but he had made a point I could understand at a young age , and Ive never forgotten the lesson.
Originally Posted by venice
Of course in actual fact the flowers had just died a natural death , but he had made a point I could understand at a young age , and Ive never forgotten the lesson.

What? Never listen to your Grandad?
More money is evaded from the top earners but the media and the government send us on a which hunt for those at he bottom of society. Off shore accounts, second homes, expenses to name just a few. As a mother she has one obligation in life, to her children by what ever means. I think we shouldn't p:ss in our own back yard i know a lot of people that aren't 100% truthful and if your honest with yourselves you know some yourselves. What good for the goose....... And for those a the bottom of society its about keeping your head above water.
Agreed , we should really hammer the tax evaders at the highest levels starting with big firms and working downwards. Its all politics that we dont.
She is currently in employment but on sick leave.
Why does it state 2 kids she has 3?

And Hesketh is her married name? Clue there...

As for working with kids alls they do is cause unnecessary upset with these kids she works with...

Walking round whiter than white!!
Originally Posted by futurepast
I suppose all the peeps that have commented on this family's misery have always paid their dues fully and never dodged a penny tax or done a days work for a back hander in their life,this woman has a family who have suffered and are still suffering leave them alone, stones and glass houses comes to mind,I wonder if we will be reading about any of you in our glorious press in the near future?

Family friend suppose?
This topic is 2013 smack
© Wirral-Wikiwirral