Forums
Posted By: Willo_ Cyclist in hospital following bypass accident - 21st Sep 2012 1:06pm
A CYCLIST has been taken to hospital after his bike was hit by a van in Wirral this afternoon.

Emergency services were called to Fender Lane, Leasowe, at 12.20pm.

Fender Lane Eastbound is currently closed between Reeds Lane and Tesco Roundabout, affecting traffic towards Birkenhead and the docks.

A Merseyside Police spokesman said the 20-year-old cyclist has been taken to Aintree Hospital, but the extent of his injuries are not yet known.

Source
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Cyclist in hospital following bypass accident - 21st Sep 2012 1:18pm
Hope this guys ok, it's a dangerous route for cyclists that road, i remember using it regulary when it was the national speed limit, with the new 40 mph there seems to be more traffic now.
It's not more traffic, just that it bunches up more at 40mph. And the outside lane doesn't know what it is for, is for traffic to turn right at Tescos, or does one stay in the inside lane, then push into the full right hand lane to go to Birkenhead (I'm talking about the Moreton to Birkenhead side)
Interestingly it was not done for road safety but because HGVs could burst through the safety barriers and fall onto the M53 at over 40mph, or so they said.
Posted By: Willo_ Re: Cyclist in hospital following bypass accident - 22nd Sep 2012 9:43am
Update:

A CYCLIST has been taken to hospital after his bike was hit by a van in Wirral this afternoon.

Officers were called to Fender Lane, Moreton, at around 12.20pm following the collision between a cylist and a white Transit van.

The cyclist, a 23-year-old man from Wirral, was taken to hospital for treatment for serious head injuries and police say he remains in a “serious but stable condition.”

The driver of the van, a 77-year-old man from Meols, stopped at the scene and was arrested on suspicion of careless driving and being unfit to drive through drink or drugs.

Officers closed Fender Lane in both directions to allow for examination of the scene.

Anyone with any information should call Merseyside Police Roads Policing Investigation Team on 0151 777 5444, or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.
Posted By: Nigel Re: Cyclist in hospital following bypass accident - 22nd Sep 2012 10:08am
I always recommend a cycle helmet whilst cycling, I know its best to buy a good quality helmet, but whilst a helmet won't protect you from every eventuality, would a cheap one be better than nothing at all?

I wish the cyclist a speedy recovery.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral