Forums
Posted By: Touchstone New plans for Byrne Avenue Baths - 20th Aug 2012 9:05am
In today's Echo

New images show how much-loved Merseyside pool will be refurbished

NEW images show how a much-loved Merseyside swimming baths is to be revamped by a group led by local businessmen.

Swimmers and staff at the Byrne Avenue Baths, in Rock Ferry, were left shocked in February, 2009, when a notice was pinned to the door saying the pool had shut down during its 75th anniversary year.

It had been run by a registered charity, the Byrne Avenue Recreational Trust, who leased the building from Wirral Council, which owns the freehold.

The council last year agreed to lease the building to the Byrne Avenue Community Trust, made up of a group of local businessmen, who aim to see it re-open and become a community centre run by and for local people.

The trust is still trying to obtain £350,000 in funding to match that pledged by Wirral Council towards the cost of bringing the centre back into use.

Local businessman John Fennah, one of those pushing the scheme forward, said they were now seeking more involvement from the local community to help with funding bids.

Among those who have already stepped forward is John Wilson, an architectural graduate from John Moores University who has helped develop the 3-D images showing how Byrne Avenue will look once refurbishment is completed as they seek the extra funding. The images show how the pool area, dance studio and changing rooms will be refurbished and brought up to date,

Mr Fennah said: "John came around the site with us and went through, getting a good understanding of what we are trying to achieve. In essence, except for perhaps the colour schemes, that is pretty much how it will look.

"At the moment, we're preparing the funding bids and strengthening the board at the trust. The funding bids are massive and take a long time to complete – and we're making sure we tick every box.

"We are also talking to a number of potential private investors, who we hope might be able to provide sizeable funds, but the key to our success is getting the local community involved and even fundraising. That will help get the support from Lottery funding."

For more details, visit www.savebyrneavenue.org.uk

Posted By: DavidB Re: New plans for Byrne Avenue Baths - 24th Aug 2012 9:21pm
Looks like a 5 year old did those!

[Linked Image]
Posted By: sunnyside Re: New plans for Byrne Avenue Baths - 28th Aug 2012 9:34pm
good news for the building, looks like a level in a prison block.
Posted By: Zubee Re: New plans for Byrne Avenue Baths - 28th Aug 2012 10:47pm
Originally Posted by sunnyside

I'm shocked sunnyside!!! How would you know? Joking, lol raftl
Posted By: derekdwc Re: New plans for Byrne Avenue Baths - 29th Aug 2012 8:48am
Hope they eventually get it done
Pics of before refurbishment clicky

Attached picture byrne Ave.jpg
Posted By: sunnyside Re: New plans for Byrne Avenue Baths - 29th Aug 2012 9:01am
Originally Posted by Zubee
Originally Posted by sunnyside

I'm shocked sunnyside!!! How would you know? Joking, lol raftl
hahaha, it does look like a pic of a prision floor level(only seen prisions on telly and in the papers), but it does look souless,dosent't it.
Posted By: Henderson13 Re: New plans for Byrne Avenue Baths - 4th Sep 2012 1:09pm
I used to go swimming there with my primary school. Sad to see it is in such state. My mum still lives close to there, so would love for it to re-open.
Posted By: turnip Re: New plans for Byrne Avenue Baths - 4th Sep 2012 2:36pm
Well I made an offer to go into business with the people doing this and to help boost funds and they never even got back to me so they can't be that bothered.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: New plans for Byrne Avenue Baths - 4th Sep 2012 3:04pm
Originally Posted by turnip
Well I made an offer to go into business with the people doing this and to help boost funds and they never even got back to me so they can't be that bothered.

That's pure pig-ignorance for them not to reply - even to say "no" !!

Yes, a remarkable likeness to the floor of a wing in prision and yes, I've spent a while in various HM Hotels - fixing equipment on the "right" side of the bars !!

O out of 10 for Administration.
1 out of 10 for Design. (Being generous here) grin
© Wirral-Wikiwirral