Forums
Posted By: chev_chelios wirral roads are not car showrooms - 7th Nov 2011 2:12pm
A CRACKDOWN against people who use Wirral’s
highways as a “showroom” to sell cars has been
pledged by highways chief Cllr Harry Smith. Councillor Smith condemned the practice as “anti-
social, unacceptable, illegal and probably
dangerous.” He said perpetrators would be dealt with by
strong enforcement action. He added: “We have stamped it out in a number
of places and I would encourage the public to act
as the council’s eyes and ears to help us identify
where this is taking place. “The more we can eradicate this practice the
better it will be for legitimate car dealers who
pay their rates.” New Brighton Cllr Pat Hackett ordered an
investigation by the highways department after
being approached by people from
neighbourhoods affected by the problem. One Wallasey resident, who asked not to named,
said she had been shocked by the growth in
“littering” of the town’s streets by private cars
for sale. She complained that the cars were narrowing
side streets and stopping people from parking to
shop in their local area. The resident identified nearly 30 incidents to Cllr
Hackett across North Wirral at Wallasey, Moreton
and Leasowe. She said: “When I, and others, have been
intimidated on our doorsteps by people selling
their cars, the there is even more motivation to
stop it. “Some people have run businesses this way for
years. ”It is not good for Wallasey, not good for Wirral.
It is giving out all the wrong signals.” Councillor Hackett said: “Many concerned
residents have contacted me and we can assure
those neighbourhoods and areas affected that
we are doing all in our power to make sure this
littering of our roads – which has seen a huge
increase over the years – will be dealt with in the appropriate manner.”
Posted By: Mark Re: wirral roads are not car showrooms - 7th Nov 2011 2:27pm
Please link to the source wink
Posted By: paulph1972 Re: wirral roads are not car showrooms - 7th Nov 2011 2:28pm
bit over the top isn't it?
Posted By: chev_chelios Re: wirral roads are not car showrooms - 7th Nov 2011 2:37pm
www.wirralglobe.co.uk/news/9348420.Wirral_s_roads_are_NOT_car_showrooms/
Posted By: Littlebear Re: wirral roads are not car showrooms - 7th Nov 2011 3:36pm
I was wondering when some jobsworth was going to get onto this?
Posted By: Wench Re: wirral roads are not car showrooms - 7th Nov 2011 3:45pm
offtopic I know, but every time I see Pat Hackett's name I think of this:

[Linked Image]

Posted By: Lisk090 Re: wirral roads are not car showrooms - 7th Nov 2011 5:46pm
Another money generator??? I think so.
What ever else will the want from us next. I think we will have to have a licence for a dog soon too!!
Posted By: TheDr Re: wirral roads are not car showrooms - 7th Nov 2011 5:51pm
So let me get this right, it will now be somebodies job to:

Identify cars for sale
Contact the owners
See how many cars they own
See if any of the others are for sale
See how many they have sold this year

The cars already have to have tax/MoT and now Insurance to be parked on the road, and now you could be harrassed for trying to sell your own car.

What if you are someone who likes to change their car a lot, what if you are a big family with a lot of cars, who is saying that tax isn't being paid on thesae earnings anyway.

It's just another "I need to justify my job" councillor who has found a topic to shout out about that will require thousands to implement, wont work, will have minimal impact if it does and avoids doing any real work.

Posted By: Anonymous Re: wirral roads are not car showrooms - 7th Nov 2011 5:51pm
Originally Posted by Wench

[Linked Image]

I've met him, he is not dissimillar!
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: wirral roads are not car showrooms - 7th Nov 2011 5:53pm
Tossers!
Posted By: hoseman Re: wirral roads are not car showrooms - 7th Nov 2011 5:54pm
Originally Posted by Wench

[Linked Image]

FECK ARSE!!!!
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: wirral roads are not car showrooms - 7th Nov 2011 6:01pm
Is it really enforceable? If its taxed, mot'd, insured and parked in a legitimate place, I can't see what they can do about it.

If any of the above conditions aren't met then that's another issue altogether and nothing to do with selling cars.
Posted By: gypsyjune Re: wirral roads are not car showrooms - 7th Nov 2011 6:21pm
100%
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: wirral roads are not car showrooms - 7th Nov 2011 6:27pm
Apparently so ...

"Under the provisions of the Clean Neighbourhoods and Environment Act 2005 (CNEA) it is now an offence to expose or advertise for sale two or more motor vehicles parked on a road or roads within 500 metres of each other "
Posted By: MikeT Re: wirral roads are not car showrooms - 8th Nov 2011 7:26am
Are there any "blackspots" where there are lots of cars for sale? Can anyone point me to any? Can't say I have noticed any. I do see the occasional car on main roads with a for sale sign in the window, but they generally seem to be considerately parked.
Posted By: Clive Re: wirral roads are not car showrooms - 8th Nov 2011 7:31am
Originally Posted by MikeT
Are there any "blackspots" where there are lots of cars for sale? Can anyone point me to any? Can't say I have noticed any. I do see the occasional car on main roads with a for sale sign in the window, but they generally seem to be considerately parked.
Bottom end of Leasowe Road
Posted By: Gibbo Re: wirral roads are not car showrooms - 8th Nov 2011 8:37am

I've seen three or four on Storeton Road just after the Mount Road lights.

Hardly a hazard though.

What kind of person buys from somewhere like this though? Its obviously a trader cutting corners so what else is he cutting?
Posted By: little_pob Re: wirral roads are not car showrooms - 8th Nov 2011 9:10am
Greasby roundabout, where they would've built the bypass.

Rake Lane, Wallasey by Lookers, at least before it closed that is.

Posted By: gypsyjune Re: wirral roads are not car showrooms - 8th Nov 2011 9:48am
Originally Posted by Willo
Bottom end of Leasowe Road
I have alway`s thought this was a great idea if you needed a run around for some one who`s just passed thier test and don`t want to spend a small fortune on the first car .It doesn`t bother me if they sell cars on the road side thumbsup
Posted By: jen8505 Re: wirral roads are not car showrooms - 8th Nov 2011 12:54pm
I couldn't agree more, i don't care if people sell their car at the side of the road if it's not causing an obstruction. I was looking for a car in july/august and went round all the usual places you see cars for sale and only found one for sale on st hilary's brow so I wouldn't say car sales is a problem. I ended up getting a car advertised on gumtree in deeside!
Posted By: gypsyjune Re: wirral roads are not car showrooms - 8th Nov 2011 4:39pm
Originally Posted by jen8505
I couldn't agree more, i don't care if people sell their car at the side of the road if it's not causing an obstruction. I was looking for a car in july/august and went round all the usual places you see cars for sale and only found one for sale on st hilary's brow so I wouldn't say car sales is a problem. I ended up getting a car advertised on gumtree in deeside!
Good for you Jen8505 i don`t think they are harming any one ,I say leave them alone hi
Posted By: TheDr Re: wirral roads are not car showrooms - 8th Nov 2011 4:52pm
There is a part of the article that makes me wonder where they get these "complaints" from.

ONE resident has notified them of THIRTY incidents, now to me that sounds like either someone with more time on their hands than it is safe to have or they have a vendetta against one person and is keeping track of everything they sell.

The other part is THE SAME RESIDENT has also complained that the side streets are being narrowed by these cars for sale, now I don't know what you think but if I was selling a car I'd put it somewhere quite prominent with a lot of passing traffic, not in a side street, makes no sense.

Oh, one last note for anyone who IS selling a car by the side of the road, chances are someone is DRIVING past it or on the bus, so FOR SALE in HUGE letters is completely pointless, just write the price in those same size letters, that will probably give us the clue that it's for sale and we can decide if that price is worth stopping to look at it for.
Posted By: gypsyjune Re: wirral roads are not car showrooms - 8th Nov 2011 4:59pm
Originally Posted by TheDr
There is a part of the article that makes me wonder where they get these "complaints" from.

ONE resident has notified them of THIRTY incidents, now to me that sounds like either someone with more time on their hands than it is safe to have or they have a vendetta against one person and is keeping track of everything they sell.

The other part is THE SAME RESIDENT has also complained that the side streets are being narrowed by these cars for sale, now I don't know what you think but if I was selling a car I'd put it somewhere quite prominent with a lot of passing traffic, not in a side street, makes no sense.

Oh, one last note for anyone who IS selling a car by the side of the road, chances are someone is DRIVING past it or on the bus, so FOR SALE in HUGE letters is completely pointless, just write the price in those same size letters, that will probably give us the clue that it's for sale and we can decide if that price is worth stopping to look at it for.
Is it the same person complaining ?maybe he`s doing it himself but finding there is too many of them and needs to narrow the competition down abit ?you would`nt know as i said before they don`t bother me smile
© Wirral-Wikiwirral