Forums
Posted By: Anonymous Wallasey store banned from selling alcohol - 19th Sep 2011 5:32pm
A WIRRAL off-licence has been banned from selling alcohol following a string of allegations including the sale of illicit booze.

The Ten O’Clock Shop in Poulton Road, Wallasey, had its licence revoked by councillors who heard it had been one of 17 stores across the borough raided by police in July.

The raids also involved Wirral Trading Standards, Revenue and Customs and the UK Border Agency and were the culmination of a 12-month investigation into the alleged sale of duty-diverted booze and under-age sales.

Around £300,000 cash was also seized across the 17 targeted shops as a result of the operation.

Ten O'Clock Shop Owner Sinnathamby Subenthiran denies the allegations.

Around 200 bottles of illicit alcohol - including vodka and whisky - were seized at the shop last October and 42 cases of wine in July.

The issue came before Wirral Council licensing committee, which was told by Wirral Trading Standards’ Andrew Bushell how 1,800 cigarettes and 40 cigars were confiscated in July of last year on suspicion of unlawful activity.

Ness Thavanessan, representing Mr Subenthiran, said his client was “very serious about promoting the licensing objectives and is implementing a Challenge 25 policy.”

But police licensing sergeant Pete Jenkins claimed: “We have the evidence that this premises is the catalyst for criminal activity and we believe Mr Subenthiran is heavily involved in bringing illicit alcohol into the area.

"In our opinion, there are no conditions that will prevent this carrying on and we would call for an immediate revocation of the shop’s licence.”

Meanwhile, the police investigation into the allegations is continuing The committee heard Mr Subenthiran is also facing a separate accusation of employing illegal immigrants, which he strongly denies.

Councillors were told that over the last 12 months, seven people had been arrested at the Ten O’Clock Shop on suspicion of illegal working.

Mr Subenthiran said those arrested had been visiting friends and were not his employees.

He now has 21 days to appeal the decision.

Source
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Wallasey store banned from selling alcohol - 19th Sep 2011 5:56pm
Lying git lol laugh
Originally Posted by _Ste_
Lying git lol laugh

Lol, withthat
Posted By: torryman Re: Wallasey store banned from selling alcohol - 19th Sep 2011 6:05pm
Does Ted (original owner) still work there?
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Wallasey store banned from selling alcohol - 19th Sep 2011 6:05pm
No.
Posted By: UrbanEx2U Re: Wallasey store banned from selling alcohol - 19th Sep 2011 7:25pm

Ever since Ted went it down hill

Was a cool shop
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Wallasey store banned from selling alcohol - 19th Sep 2011 7:30pm
He's great Ted. Really nice fellah smile
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Wallasey store banned from selling alcohol - 19th Sep 2011 7:30pm
No where to get cheap ciggies now (if you smoke that crap).
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Wallasey store banned from selling alcohol - 19th Sep 2011 7:33pm
Hmmm. I wouldn't know wink
Posted By: ex0__ Re: Wallasey store banned from selling alcohol - 19th Sep 2011 7:40pm

This did make me laugh though:

"how 1,800 cigarettes and 40 cigars were confiscated in July of last year on suspicion of unlawful activity."

Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Wallasey store banned from selling alcohol - 19th Sep 2011 7:48pm

I think he means Ted sold all his packets of tabacco before he left smile
Posted By: Handbag Re: Wallasey store banned from selling alcohol - 20th Sep 2011 3:04pm
Glad to see at least one off license shut down.

There are far too many shops selling it in the area, a group of people near me raised an objection to yet another one being opened up a couple of years ago after it transpired that there were 11 outlets selling alcohol in a 1 mile radius from here.. really is there any need for more? Anyway the local councillors threw out the objection despite a petition with over 100 signatures...
Posted By: AlexB Re: Wallasey store banned from selling alcohol - 20th Sep 2011 7:02pm
I quite like having a few in close proximity. Keeps prices down at a time when those that be seem to be wanting to price most people out of it.

Alcohol is only an issue when people abuse it.

If I pay a fortune for a beer, does that make me less likely to cause some trouble?

No.
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Wallasey store banned from selling alcohol - 20th Sep 2011 7:10pm
I must admit that my poison was 40p cheaper per bottle at the Ten O Clock shop! Just hope it was 'real'. omg
Posted By: CVCVCV Re: Wallasey store banned from selling alcohol - 20th Sep 2011 7:21pm
<sarcasm>I keep on saying it, we should bring back Prohibition! That would soon stop all these evil, nasty people from drinking, wouldn't it?
Just like making drugs illegal, stops them from taking drugs!</sarcasm>
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Wallasey store banned from selling alcohol - 20th Sep 2011 7:35pm
Of course! Perfect sense! wink smile
Adminadmin
Posted By: AlexB Re: Wallasey store banned from selling alcohol - 20th Sep 2011 9:09pm

You're trying to be racist but concealing it with humour, and failing, aren't you?
www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/liverpool-n...ped-of-alcohol-licences-100252-29723223/
previous shop owners and assistants grab ur pricing guns and lets take back our shops haha, fire with will
© Wirral-Wikiwirral