Forums
Posted By: Ll0159 Whats going on outside Arrowe Park Hospital? - 12th Feb 2011 3:16pm
Just been to hospital and outside there are 5 police vehicles 2 fire engines and 2 ambulance! What's gone on?
Posted By: OxtonHill Re: Whats going on outside aph? - 12th Feb 2011 6:31pm
Car & Bus involved in a collision
Posted By: DavidB Re: Whats going on outside aph? - 12th Feb 2011 6:33pm
Can you narrow the location down a bit from 'outside'?
Posted By: Tracy Re: Whats going on outside aph? - 12th Feb 2011 6:37pm
Hi I was up their around 12noon today and their were 3 police cars lights flashin, 6 police and 4 security all outside main entrance surrounding 1 man, Think they had discharged him home but he was'nt happy, he looked late 20's an on something, Just feel sorry for the nurses as they don't need hassel like this, I spend alot off time their with my young son and all the staff work soo hard, in my opinion this guy should be PUT DOWN!!!! somad and give the nursing team a break.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Whats going on outside Arrowe Park Hospital? - 14th Feb 2011 5:14pm
Couple cut free after car and bus crash outside Wirral's Arrowe Park Hospital

AN ELDERLY couple had to be cut free from their car after it was involved in a crash with a bus.

The accident took place outside Arrowe Park Hospital, Wirral, at 2.45pm on Saturday.

Fire crews removed the driver’s door on the car to rescue the 68-year-old man and a 73-year-old woman who suffered whiplash, shock and bruising.

THE LIVERPOOL ECHO
Posted By: Sanchez Re: Whats going on outside Arrowe Park Hospital? - 14th Feb 2011 6:38pm
Bloody old drivers grrrrrrrr, I remember when my ancient neighbour came home and couldnt get out of his car as he'd smashed into a big red fire engine, was fun hammering his door straight though to get him out!
Posted By: Snodvan Re: Whats going on outside Arrowe Park Hospital? - 14th Feb 2011 8:28pm
Sanchez

As a 68 year old car and motorbike driver myself (Landy and BMW650) I will respectfully remind you that YOU WILL GET THERE ONE DAY yourself.

No individual ever thinks they have reached a point where their driving skills are suspect - well, maybe eventually but most then self-compensate by driving less, at quieter times and for shorter distances. My 93 year old mum comes into that category. I guess she will not drive much more - down to about 5 miles a week now (max)

Similarly, without being too disrespectful to bus drivers who generally do a difficult job with a lot of hassle I have also seen SOME who should be OFF the road because of their arrogant attitude. In the last year I have unfortunately had reason to make a lot of visits to Arrowe Park and the way SOME bus drivers swing in off the access road to the bus stop at the end of the car park leaves a lot to be desired. Personally I think the problem there is that there is 2 way traffic along the piece of road where the bus stop is located. Buses turning right and swinging into that road have to turn sharply. Visitors who have entered the hospital site via the lower car parks are often trying to turn right OUT of that same piece of road in order to get access to the main car parks next to the main entrance.

Just my 2-pennyworth

Snod
Posted By: CVCVCV Re: Whats going on outside Arrowe Park Hospital? - 14th Feb 2011 9:10pm
Nothing here says it wasn't the bus driver's fault, either - so you can't just assume that because the car driver is 68 years of age, it's automatically his fault...
Posted By: Sanchez Re: Whats going on outside Arrowe Park Hospital? - 14th Feb 2011 11:53pm
I know I know, I feel there should be a test in place for everyone every 10 or so years, aimed at all ages and genders. I just see alot of elderly drivers that are so close to death because they wont take advantage of their free buss pass and use public transport. I've seen it twice in one week, two old men waiting at lights to turn left, the lights turn, they turn the corner then stop as the lights for the cars behind them are on red they stop causeing a huge jam. These are but a few of the things i've seen elderly do.

Im not trying to say that the wizer population should be banned, just tested...like an eye test!
Posted By: woodley Re: Whats going on outside Arrowe Park Hospital? - 15th Feb 2011 1:28am
withthat

Yes!!! I'm definitely with Snod. I think you should check out some of the hairbrained, pathetic driving which some young drivers exhibit. They seem to think they're invinsible and king of the road (read arrogant and rude) and very presumptive too I might add.
Posted By: Sanchez Re: Whats going on outside Arrowe Park Hospital? - 15th Feb 2011 1:54am
Originally Posted by ruth0339
withthat

Yes!!! I'm definitely with Snod. I think you should check out some of the hairbrained, pathetic driving which some young drivers exhibit. They seem to think they're invinsible and king of the road (read arrogant and rude) and very presumptive too I might add.

thus why regular testing should be enforced, roads are dangerous places.
Posted By: woodley Re: Whats going on outside Arrowe Park Hospital? - 15th Feb 2011 4:31am
somad

"Bloody old drivers grrrrr" unquote
I agree with snod too!
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Whats going on outside Arrowe Park Hospital? - 15th Feb 2011 8:07am
raftl you lot are hilarious!

Bickering like small chimpanzees in the rain forest!
WAHHH WAHHH!!!

Haha raftl

Carry on smile
It's easy to do a test and then go back to your old way of driving once it's out of the way. An oldie going slow is going to cause less damage than some young rip shit with his foot down on the boards, fact. Just because someone is driving carefully doesn't mean that they are too old to drive safely, just ask the insurance people. That's why a young 'un has such high premiums, they are a greater risk. Do the math.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Whats going on outside Arrowe Park Hospital? - 15th Feb 2011 10:05am
Originally Posted by Sanchez
I know I know, I feel there should be a test in place for everyone every 10 or so years, aimed at all ages and genders. I just see alot of elderly drivers that are so close to death because they wont take advantage of their free buss pass and use public transport.

withthat

Posted By: BandyCoot Re: Whats going on outside Arrowe Park Hospital? - 15th Feb 2011 10:09am
Enjoy your youth while you've got it you drongoes because it will be your turn soon enough. When I was a kid we had more respect for our elders anyway, you lot are a different disrespectful tribe but remember.....what goes round comes round and enjoy working til you're 80. pmsl
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Whats going on outside Arrowe Park Hospital? - 15th Feb 2011 11:01am
FFs that old chestnut. Coz I think old dear's should have a retest at a certin age, ye ok I have no respected for them. A few who no me on hear no i have the most respect for oldies. Everyday I go out my way to do shopping and all kinds for the old dear's round by my nans and my old road. I see one struggling and am there to help. Coz I have respect...
A disproportionate number of accidents are people who have passed their test in the previous 6 months. Perhaps they should introduce monthly tests for new drivers.

CLICKY
Posted By: BandyCoot Re: Whats going on outside Arrowe Park Hospital? - 15th Feb 2011 12:07pm
pmsl, agen. If you can't take it, don't dish it out. It's disrespectful terminology that gets the hackles up for some of us grey haired ones. We're not all at the same stage of deterioration (which can't be helped), the same way that not all youngsters are hoodied layabouts, but if you refer to everyone as though they are the same then expect a bit of stick back. Easy peasy.

By the way, a big Bravo Zulue for assisting your neighbours.
oldman
Posted By: Nelzy84 Re: Whats going on outside Arrowe Park Hospital? - 15th Feb 2011 2:34pm
Bandycoot

Well said mate, nothing wrong with respecting your elders, If it weren't for the older generation we'd be speaking German laugh

Oldies are a font of knowledge when it comes to local knowledge/History and i've learnt alot on UE sites through word of mouth from them. thumbsup

I think any one who make generalisations on either the younger or older generation are norrow minded tbh
Posted By: Snodvan Re: Whats going on outside Arrowe Park Hospital? - 15th Feb 2011 3:29pm
Originally Posted by ruth0339
withthat

thus why regular testing should be enforced, roads are dangerous places.

Sanchez Sir

I note your comments about regular eye tests for drivers - and I agree with you totally. In fact by the time you reach a certain age (70) you have to renew your driving licence every 3 years. I am only too well aware of that because my licence has an "expiry" date in 2011 !!!!! ie 90 days before my 70th. Oh ****

At this point the individual has to "declare" whether they can pass the eyesight test - OR - whether they have had any eye problems/ surgery etc. If the latter THEN quite definitely a certificate is needed from the doctor or opthalmologist to give a medical opinion about the driver visual capability. The "weak" part is the self-certification/ declaration - would you believe people cheat?

While I think there is justification for people even a lot younger than 70 to have to submit a "eyesight test result" every so often it is obvious that this should be a a requirement for 70+. At that age anyone can get an opthalmologist to do an eye test for free. It would be a very minor change for the opthalmist report sheet to include a tear-off part that was a statement of "fitness to drive" and that could be sent to the DVLA.

The "bug" in that system is that DVLA wants everyone to make their licence applications by Web and not by post - but SURELY it is not beyond the wit of man to sort something out. For example - your MOT details are sent directly to DVLA by the garage so presumably (and the cost of a few £millions for computers and software) the opthalmologist report could go direct to DVLA

Snod
You may not think it but,we were all your age once and thought that when we get older we would behave in a different way to the oldies of our day.
Guess what.
We are the same and so will you be! joyride
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Whats going on outside Arrowe Park Hospital? - 15th Feb 2011 3:49pm
Bezzy just looked at your profile to see how old you are oshocked your 2011 lol joke Birthday:  November 6 0 lol xxx
I'm all in favour of a decent medical at the age of 70, or even earlier, in order to retain your driving licence. The present self-certification every 3 years is a nonsense.
I speak as one who is over 70 & I choose to have my driving re-assessed regularly by fellow members of the High Performance Club & also, more formally, by re-taking my RoSPA Advanced Driving test every 3 years. I'm pleased to say that each time, I pass at Gold level.
Originally Posted by zippy
Bezzy just looked at your profile to see how old you are oshocked your 2011 lol joke Birthday:  November 6 0 lol xxx
Hi Zippy,I'm not as old as some on here but ,not far off!
Best laugh of all, to me anyway, I've just checked my car insurance, fully comp and it costs me nearly 190 squid a year. Ho, ho, ho, ho, ho!
Posted By: StuyMac Re: Whats going on outside Arrowe Park Hospital? - 15th Feb 2011 5:21pm
Thats not bad for a horse and cart Bandy raftl
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Whats going on outside Arrowe Park Hospital? - 15th Feb 2011 5:28pm
He's limited to 2mph, as long as there's a man carrying a red flag walking in front of him !!

Pot - kettle - black. Ermm. I'd better shut up !!

I've never had a motoring accident in my life. Caused dozens mindyou!
well to take the thread back to the accident, at least the poor people in the car and the bus didnt have far to get to the hospital!
Posted By: StuyMac Re: Whats going on outside Arrowe Park Hospital? - 15th Feb 2011 6:03pm
Originally Posted by Pinzgauer
He's limited to 2mph, as long as there's a man carrying a red flag walking in front of him !!

Pot - kettle - black. Ermm. I'd better shut up !!

I've never had a motoring accident in my life. Caused dozens mindyou!

If you where driving your monster Pinz, I doubt if you'd notice if you, say, ran over a car raftl
Posted By: Sanchez Re: Whats going on outside Arrowe Park Hospital? - 15th Feb 2011 7:22pm
Lord Snod!

I didnt mean to put all drivers over 60 in the same catagory, I know lots of you are really good careful drivers. Its the classic scenario of seeing a couple of unsure, confused elderly drivers making some real bad mistakes and before I know it everyone over 60 is a bad driver. I know I shouldnt stereotype but its so hard sometimes not to.

Do we know yet who was at fault?
The same can be said of young drivers too!
Lord Snod!

I didnt mean to put all drivers over 60 in the same catagory, I know lots of you are really good careful drivers. Its the classic scenario of seeing a couple of unsure, confused elderly drivers making some real bad mistakes and before I know it everyone over 60 is a bad driver. I know I shouldnt stereotype but its so hard sometimes not to.

Do we know yet who was at fault?
You may pigeon hole us older drivers but,I have 9 points on my licence for speeding.
Posted By: Sanchez Re: Whats going on outside Arrowe Park Hospital? - 15th Feb 2011 9:29pm
ha ha, Please dont tell me they are sp30 and 40's?
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Whats going on outside Arrowe Park Hospital? - 15th Feb 2011 9:36pm
Basically folks, there are good and bad in all groups of people. Be it young or old. It ain't a perfect world we live in !!
The rozzers just go for my black corsa,it stands out like a sore thumb.
ha ha, Please dont tell me they are sp30 and 40's?
Posted By: Sanchez Re: Whats going on outside Arrowe Park Hospital? - 15th Feb 2011 9:41pm
Originally Posted by Pinzgauer
Basically folks, there are good and bad in all groups of people. Be it young or old. It ain't a perfect world we live in !!

Them be some wize words man, I heard a good saying the other day. Infact im going to start a new topic on the matter!
Posted By: Katryn Re: Whats going on outside Arrowe Park Hospital? - 15th Feb 2011 10:15pm
will you continue to drive when your older?
also would you then like it if you were to continue driving if people had a go at you for being an elderly driver?
Posted By: Katryn Re: Whats going on outside aph? - 15th Feb 2011 10:16pm
Originally Posted by DavidB
Can you narrow the location down a bit from 'outside'?

outside ! the clue is in the word. laffin
Posted By: Sanchez Re: Whats going on outside Arrowe Park Hospital? - 15th Feb 2011 10:21pm
Originally Posted by Kathryn
will you continue to drive when your older?
also would you then like it if you were to continue driving if people had a go at you for being an elderly driver?

When I feel that I am a danger on the roads then I will stop driving, I see alot of old people going to slow and taking corners to wide, stopping on green lights, yes you are safer than the rest but damm it you do piss us all off!!
I know where you are coming from at times Sanch, you see all kinds of crazy things going on out there (but it's not always a pensioner and not always a woman). I make the odd cock up myself but been driving since 1970 and got no points and the last accident I had was when driving a double decker and it wasn't my fault. I will probably sack it in 2 years time but I'll wait and see how I am coping. Going to flash up the Aygo later and go for a run so stay clear.
oldman
© Wirral-Wikiwirral