Forums
Posted By: StuyMac Birkenhead RSPCA centre closes due to abuse! - 3rd Nov 2010 1:28pm
Originally Posted by BBC News
An RSPCA centre in Wirral has closed because of the amount of abuse the receptionist has received.

Sharyn Gavin handed her notice in after months of threats. During one incident a customer tried to punch her in the face at the Birkenhead clinic.

Branch manager, Peter Hatton, said lack of funds and continued threats of violence has resulted in its closure.

"Pet owners would become annoyed that they weren't getting seen quick enough," he said.

[Linked Image]

Full Story
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Birkenhead RSPCA centre closes due to abuse! - 3rd Nov 2010 1:47pm
"Animal owners can visit the nearby RSPCA clinic in Wallasey"

Oh great, transfer the fookwits to the Wallasey branch so that one can close due to abuse by morons.
*sigh guess that means i'm gonna have to use the vet's in either Moreton or Upton Now.
Posted By: DavidB Re: Birkenhead RSPCA centre closes due to abuse! - 3rd Nov 2010 4:50pm
I'm not going to say Birkenhead is full of knuckledragging arseholes, but Birkenhead is full of knuckledragging arseholes. It's a disgrace.
Posted By: Kev30x Re: Birkenhead RSPCA centre closes due to abuse! - 3rd Nov 2010 5:07pm
Apparantley the receptionist was a snotty arrogant cow and upset many people who were going through stressful times enough at it was with their poorly pooches, she had been there years aswell. Some people just bring it on themselves im afraid! the Rspca was a mess anyway and their policy of putting healthy dogs to sleep without doing proper checks, and just taking the word of the heartless owner was disgusting, especially the way they used to just leave them upstairs in a room until the end of the day before putting them to sleep was barbaric,the sooner we get a PDSA built here the better!
Unbelievable.
I would like to say that the Wallasey RSPCA are great.
I got a cat from there and they were really helpful.
It is sad for Birkenhead that this has happend though.
Posted By: kimpri Re: Birkenhead RSPCA centre closes due to abuse! - 4th Nov 2010 1:54am
we got our cat as a kitten from the wallasey RSPCA.
she's 4 now

Attached picture DSCF0323.JPG
Attached picture DSCF0327.JPG
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Birkenhead RSPCA centre closes due to abuse! - 4th Nov 2010 6:30am
And rules the roost by the looks of things.... laugh

[Linked Image]
That dog looks like its about the get a cat slap raftl
Posted By: bert1 Re: Birkenhead RSPCA centre closes due to abuse! - 4th Nov 2010 9:18am
The majority of abuse at these places are financial abuse, people using them who have no need to and don't qualify to, I'm not sure how you prove your on benefits, i suppose these people borrow the means off people who are, or maybe they just turn up in a tracksuit with the dog in a matching tracksuit.
Posted By: milie Re: Birkenhead RSPCA centre closes due to abuse! - 4th Nov 2010 9:54am
I never had any problems there. The lady there was always nice when I was there it's such a shame some people ruin it for everyone.

To be seen in the RSPCA your animal needs to be micro-chipped and to prove my benefits I always used my post office account letter.
Originally Posted by Kevinx
Apparantley the receptionist was a snotty arrogant cow and upset many people who were going through stressful times enough at it was with their poorly pooches, she had been there years aswell. Some people just bring it on themselves im afraid! the Rspca was a mess anyway and their policy of putting healthy dogs to sleep without doing proper checks, and just taking the word of the heartless owner was disgusting, especially the way they used to just leave them upstairs in a room until the end of the day before putting them to sleep was barbaric,the sooner we get a PDSA built here the better!

This is disgusting, I never knew about this
Posted By: Tilly Re: Birkenhead RSPCA centre closes due to abuse! - 4th Nov 2010 12:43pm
I'm not even going to comment on the why's and wherefore's of the ARSE-PCA.
Ive never known the receptìonist to be snotty. Sounds like she got aggro though, so wouldnt be surprised if she retaliated.
Posted By: Tilly Re: Birkenhead RSPCA centre closes due to abuse! - 4th Nov 2010 1:58pm
the closing of the clinic in Birkenhead is no way down to just 1 receptionist. excuses, excuses, as always with them lot.
Posted By: Helles Re: Birkenhead RSPCA centre closes due to abuse! - 4th Nov 2010 2:03pm
I think the violence thing is just an excuse. It's all down to cash as usual with this organisation. If you can track it down, look at their assets. They are one of the richest charities going and will continue to be whilst silly old ladies keep leaving their money and houses to them.

They are the most unhelpful organisation (don't know about Livingstone street as never used it) going and I have personally phoned them three times over animals that I think need help. Never once did I get any joy from them and the last one even had the nerve to ask if I wanted to go on their mailing list or make a direct debit out. Told him where to go!
Posted By: Tilly Re: Birkenhead RSPCA centre closes due to abuse! - 4th Nov 2010 2:09pm
Originally Posted by Helles
I think the violence thing is just an excuse. It's all down to cash as usual with this organisation. If you can track it down, look at their assets. They are one of the richest charities going and will continue to be whilst silly old ladies keep leaving their money and houses to them.

They are the most unhelpful organisation (don't know about Livingstone street as never used it) going and I have personally phoned them three times over animals that I think need help. Never once did I get any joy from them and the last one even had the nerve to ask if I wanted to go on their mailing list or make a direct debit out. Told him where to go!

well said clap
Posted By: Jen84 Re: Birkenhead RSPCA centre closes due to abuse! - 4th Nov 2010 7:30pm
I've had some appalling experiences with the RSPCA in the past, but used the free service in Livingstone St a few months ago when my rescue cat was unwell. Regarding how people prove they are on benefits, you must provide a document, ie. a letter from income support etc, and also the papers proving that your animal is microchipped and registered to a corresponding address. The thing that bothered me was the legions of scallys queueing outside with massive (and in most cases, aggressive) pedigree dogs. If you can afford to buy a pedigree dog, on state benefits, then you should be able to afford to treat it when it becomes unwell. I also witnessed a number of these dog owners allowing their pets to crap all over the pavement outside and just leaving it there for everyone else to step over or step into!
Hmmm, the microchip thing is new to me! It was last year, that i was there last, i'll check that.
I used to get there 30-40 mins before the 'surgery' opened and the queue was still huge! (I never got a strop on about it tho).
Hmmm, the microchip thing is new to me! It was last year, that i was there last, i'll check that.
I used to get there 30-40 mins before the 'surgery' opened and the queue was still huge! (I never got a strop on about it tho).
Posted By: Jen84 Re: Birkenhead RSPCA centre closes due to abuse! - 4th Nov 2010 9:33pm
Yeah there's signs all over the windows about the chip-thing. Saw quite a few people get turned away because they didn't have the paperwork! I also arrived abut half an hour before opening and there was already loads of people there. I didn't get a strop on about the length of queue either, it's a great service for those who have pets in need and genuinely can't afford it, I just think there were people taking advantage, turning up with their £400+ pets and getting a £20 course of antibiotics for free!
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Birkenhead RSPCA centre closes due to abuse! - 4th Nov 2010 10:08pm
Ive gotta say tho je-marc that i got two (what i would call, jokingly) 'designer dogs' for free. As a kid, our dogs were 'heinz' types. I dont get and never have 'got' the idea of paying hundreds of quid for a pet?!
Our barney is a lab/dalmation cross and my mates mum 'didnt realise how strong he would get'. Had him since he was 16 weeks old!
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Birkenhead RSPCA centre closes due to abuse! - 4th Nov 2010 10:18pm
Then we got the 'mad one' our maisie, a full yellow lab-again from an owner who couldnt handle a lab! My point is- we got two 'posh dogs' that did'nt cost us a bean!!
Just from stupid original owners who thought they were doing us a favour by giving away their 'posh dogs' at £75 and £300 a-piece.
* prices what the original owners paid
Posted By: Jen84 Re: Birkenhead RSPCA centre closes due to abuse! - 4th Nov 2010 10:32pm
I get that- I once ended up with what I'm pretty sure was a full-breed Bengal cat from a rescue home. Obv we didn't have proper evidence or anything but even the vet thought she was too. I didn't mean to offend anyone about expensive dogs, I'm pretty sure most of those 'designer dogs' HAD been bought for the full price though! Which again is fine, people can spend their money on what they like, if they've earned it. Nice one on your free posh dogs!
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Birkenhead RSPCA centre closes due to abuse! - 4th Nov 2010 10:45pm
Yer, thanks jen. And welcome to wiki x
Posted By: Tilly Re: Birkenhead RSPCA centre closes due to abuse! - 5th Nov 2010 12:30pm
Originally Posted by RUDEBOX
Ive gotta say tho je-marc that i got two (what i would call, jokingly) 'designer dogs' for free. As a kid, our dogs were 'heinz' types. I dont get and never have 'got' the idea of paying hundreds of quid for a pet?!
Our barney is a lab/dalmation cross and my mates mum 'didnt realise how strong he would get'. Had him since he was 16 weeks old!

Like you Rude I am under no illusion that I have a Mutt. she is GSD X Newffie but I dont call her a Shepland or a Newshep no more than you would say yours is a Dallylab or Labtion lol! Crossbreeds/Designer dogs are Mongrels end of. people with their cockapoo's labradoodle's etc etc have a mongrel there is nothing designer about them. and I wish people would stop breedin these poor dogs the rescue centre's are overflowing as it is.
When I saw this post first I thought they meant abuse from the animals!
Lol, I think thats a given, tiger wink
© Wirral-Wikiwirral