Forums
Posted By: echohill Police speed trap - hiding in front garden - 17th Aug 2010 12:10pm
Watch out for the policeman hiding in a front garden in Bayswater Road in Wallasey.
You wont see him coming off the flyover as he is behind the tree without a police car.
It's all about making money not stopping people from speeding
Posted By: diesel Re: Police speed trap - hiding in front garden - 17th Aug 2010 12:16pm
does the owner of the garden know hes there? if they dont surely this is trespass, typcal poice if you call them to respond to an incident they are always saying they are short of officers, not suprised when they deploy so many on duties like this, motorists an easy targetand yes it is a money making excercise, wasters !!!!!!
Just went out and saw him lol
Posted By: Nigel Re: Police speed trap - hiding in front garden - 17th Aug 2010 12:33pm
Originally Posted by echohill
Watch out for the policeman hiding in a front garden in Bayswater Road in Wallasey.
You wont see him coming off the flyover as he is behind the tree without a police car.

To true and well done for letting us know! B******s!
Posted By: StuyMac Re: Police speed trap - hiding in front garden - 17th Aug 2010 12:47pm
Recently they have also been on the Moreton flyover - between Tesco and Fender Valley since the speed limit changed.

Also, by Toyota at the bottom of the M53.

Bayswater Road has been a common place for them, and TBH I would be surprised if the owner of the house objected. That used to be national speed limit, to 40mph, to 30mph as you enter the residential area - the 30 limit is there for a reason and cars come belting down the duel carrageway without slowing sufficiently.

"...money making not stopping people speeding"

Im sure the comments would be different if a toddler was knocked down there by a speeding motorist (and yes there is a primary school a few hundred feet from where the police normally hide) [Linked Image]
Posted By: echohill Re: Police speed trap - hiding in front garden - 17th Aug 2010 12:54pm
I agree with a but.....
School holidays and in the middle of the day?
Why don't you ever see them there at 5pm?
Posted By: echohill Re: Police speed trap - hiding in front garden - 17th Aug 2010 12:56pm
Plus I don't ever remember anyone getting knocked over there or even crashing (except the drunk driver last year)
Why don't they go to Liscard where someone is knocked over on a weekly basis
Posted By: StuyMac Re: Police speed trap - hiding in front garden - 17th Aug 2010 12:59pm
School holidays are also important as alot of schools run holiday clubs which mean childeren can be arriving / leaving at all times throughout the day.

Maybe its the police presence that slows people down so there hasnt been an incident. Awareness generated in threads like this also helps people know where to be more careful.

Its a 30mph limit - if noone is speeding, then theres nothing to worry about smile
Posted By: sean Re: Police speed trap - hiding in front garden - 17th Aug 2010 1:01pm
mount the kerb and run the prick over. my missus got done there the other year
Posted By: StuyMac Re: Police speed trap - hiding in front garden - 17th Aug 2010 1:06pm
Was she speeding by any chance [Linked Image]

Isn't that just natural selection? think
Posted By: DavidB Re: Police speed trap - hiding in front garden - 17th Aug 2010 1:21pm
I hate the whole hiding thing. There used to be one on Meols Drive, he was literally inside a bush. If you're doing 40mph you deserve it, but I've been zapped when I crept up to 36mph, it just happened, I never speed intentionally.
Posted By: echohill Re: Police speed trap - hiding in front garden - 17th Aug 2010 1:24pm
What police presence?
Does not count if you can't see them!
Maximum speed on a road sign literally means maximum speed. So a sign with 30 on it means don't do over 30 - that is the maximum speed.
Posted By: Wench Re: Police speed trap - hiding in front garden - 17th Aug 2010 1:39pm

Originally Posted by diesel
motorists an easy targetand yes it is a money making excercise, wasters !!!!!!

For the 8000,000th time, the Police DO NOT make money from the fines!! The only money they get is to cover the costs of policing the speed "traps". The money goes to the Treasury.

As Stu said, would you be moaning about them targeting motorists if it was your child/girlfriend/boyfriend/wife/husband/mother/father/brother/sister etc that was hit by one of these speeding motorists or your car that was smacked into and written off? No, didn't think so.

The simple answer, again for the 8000,000th time, is not to speed. It's not rocket science ffs smack

Originally Posted by DavidB
it just happened, I never speed intentionally.
That's what a lot of people say. It's also what a lot say when they knock someone over and seriously injure or kill them. Just because it's not intentional doesn't make it right.

*sat prepared for incoming*
Posted By: scoops Re: Police speed trap - hiding in front garden - 17th Aug 2010 1:46pm
The thing is Wench, it does make money for the gubbermint so it can be classed as a moneymaking scheme. It also boosts the stats for the police so they look like they're doing a better job (hence the easy target claim).
That being said, no speeding = no problem wink
Originally Posted by Snooze

Isn't that just natural selection? think

My thoughts exactly raftl
I got caught speeding last year - it was 11pm on a Sunday night coming along Scotland Road down to the tunnel. I was a woman on my own and sh1t myself stopping at lights even, I just want to get home.
I was doing 36mph in 30 limt and was caught - sh!t happens. I don't like it but rules is rules. I'm much more aware now. Like the others I don't understand why all the animosity towards the cameras - if you're not breaking the limit it doesn't matter.

You may not speed intentionally but you also don't NOT speed intentionally - that's the bottom line
Posted By: bert1 Re: Police speed trap - hiding in front garden - 17th Aug 2010 2:12pm
I SHOULD HAVE KNOWN BETTER!
I was on traffic patrol in a busy city centre area. I was double crewed and sat up on a 40mph limit to use my vehicles VASCAR unit. To add a bit of interest to events we had a TV crew with us and filming us for a weekend period. I was just telling the camera man in the back why this was a frequent place to deal with speeders, when a young lad went flying by in his car tring to impress his girlfriend. Having started to clock him, I set off at full pace in my Volvo T5 which is good up to 150mph. when we finally got him stopped his average speed had been 84mph. He was invited to our car for some serious ear bending and a summons. with the cameras still rolling, he said " I wont lie I normally do 60 up here, I should know better I ran a woman over last week" I know that sounded great in the court. His licence was last seen being shreded by the magistrates. ........................................ Submitted by... Martin Moore, Traffic Patrol Humberside Police UK

http://www.funnysnaps.com/iexcuse.html
Posted By: CVCVCV Re: Police speed trap - hiding in front garden - 17th Aug 2010 6:12pm
It's the hiding thing that gives it away. If you are hiding, then you are clearly trying to CATCH someone actually speeding rather than trying to prevent it. It's like they are HOPING someone will be speeding so they can write them a ticket and give them a lecture about being dangerous to wives and kids etc - which to me, runs completely counter to the concept of road safety where you would think the preferred option would be preventing speeding - let's face it if it's so damn dangerous, then why are you sitting there hiding, waiting / hoping for it to happen?
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Police speed trap - hiding in front garden - 17th Aug 2010 7:45pm
Originally Posted by sean
mount the kerb and run the prick over. my missus got done there the other year

withthat
Posted By: IanPenny Re: Police speed trap - hiding in front garden - 17th Aug 2010 9:56pm
Doesn't anyone remember the woman being killed by the speeding driver at the junction

News Item
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Police speed trap - hiding in front garden - 17th Aug 2010 10:07pm
Originally Posted by IanPenny
Doesn't anyone remember the woman being killed by the speeding driver at the junction

News Item

yes lad, he had no licence for a start, plus he was pissed! t
That voids the speed limit omg
Posted By: MikeT Re: Police speed trap - hiding in front garden - 18th Aug 2010 4:56am
Bayswater Road has been a common place for them,

Also seen them down on New Brighton prom a few times, a good place to press on a bit. Barstewards.
Posted By: bert1 Re: Police speed trap - hiding in front garden - 18th Aug 2010 5:37am
It never ceases to amaze me the way people view the activities of the police force, because an officer was out of view doing his job in catching law breakers he becomes a barstard, should be run over, etc etc and yet the same officer being out of view preventing your car being stolen would be the worlds greatest. When it comes to catching speeding motorists, why shouldn't they use every method available to them, they are not there to act as speed limiters, we have speed signs for that and laws that everyones aware of, and if their not, then they shouldn't be on the road in the first place. As far as where the fines end up is of little consequence, does it really matter, if the fines ended up going to a cancer charity would that be more acceptable, i think not. I'm the same as everyone else who drives and gone over the speed limit at some time and probily will continue to do so, but if I'm ever caught there will be no moaning, i will take it on the chin, because no one else has made me do it.
Posted By: Snodvan Re: Police speed trap - hiding in front garden - 18th Aug 2010 7:46am
As usual, words of wisdom from Bert1

Posted By: Nigel Re: Police speed trap - hiding in front garden - 18th Aug 2010 7:54am
But the law states (I belive) that the police must make sure they are visible when using radar guns?
Posted By: StuyMac Re: Police speed trap - hiding in front garden - 18th Aug 2010 8:14am
Originally Posted by bert1
It never ceases to amaze me the way people view the activities of the police force, because an officer was out of view doing his job in catching law breakers he becomes a barstard, should be run over, etc etc and yet the same officer being out of view preventing your car being stolen would be the worlds greatest. When it comes to catching speeding motorists, why shouldn't they use every method available to them, they are not there to act as speed limiters, we have speed signs for that and laws that everyones aware of, and if their not, then they shouldn't be on the road in the first place. As far as where the fines end up is of little consequence, does it really matter, if the fines ended up going to a cancer charity would that be more acceptable, i think not. I'm the same as everyone else who drives and gone over the speed limit at some time and probily will continue to do so, but if I'm ever caught there will be no moaning, i will take it on the chin, because no one else has made me do it.

withthat

Hiding or not, if your not breaking the law you have nothing to worry about.

Besides, even if he was stood clearl in view, but the time you see him, he would already have a radar reading and it would be to late anyway.

He probably tucks himself away to avoid idiots mounting the kerb at him and hurling abuse [Linked Image]
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Police speed trap - hiding in front garden - 18th Aug 2010 11:49am
Originally Posted by StuyMac

withthat

Hiding or not, if your not breaking the law you have nothing to worry about.

Besides, even if he was stood clearl in view, but the time you see him, he would already have a radar reading and it would be to late anyway.

He probably tucks himself away to avoid idiots mounting the kerb at him and hurling abuse [Linked Image]

withthat
withthat
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Police speed trap - hiding in front garden - 18th Aug 2010 10:35pm
Like most young men just passing their test, I used to speed. Since growing up I now keep to a sedate 30 in built up areas, I have only had one speeding ticket in 24 years of driving cars, trucks, snowcats, tanks etc. (not that you can speed much in a tank)and I was speeding at the time, the broken speedo notwithstanding. I paid up and got my three points, no moans.

Moral here.....can't do the time, don't do the crime.
Posted By: Nigel Re: Police speed trap - hiding in front garden - 19th Aug 2010 5:48am
I try to keep to 30Mph, but it is so easy to slip over, especialy when coming of the motorway, I think that this is the point people tend to over look. And before you know it - WOLLOP.
Originally Posted by Nigel
I try to keep to 30Mph, but it is so easy to slip over, especialy when coming of the motorway, I think that this is the point people tend to over look. And before you know it - WOLLOP.

I struggle in the same way Nigel - 95% of my driving is motorway and most nights I come off the 53 @ Upton right by the schoool. I have to say that the rule - 3rd gear for 30 certainly works for me.

As I've mentioned before I opted for the speed awaareness course when I got caught last year - it doesn't stop you speeding but it does do exactly what it says on the tin - it makes you aware when you are, you then make the decision to slow down or not!! Simples wink

Posted By: Anonymous Re: Police speed trap - hiding in front garden - 19th Aug 2010 7:40am
What I could never get was why do they make every day cars go 150mph/200mph for road use.
Posted By: StuyMac Re: Police speed trap - hiding in front garden - 19th Aug 2010 9:50am
The faster the top speed generally, the faster they accelerate - no law aganst that.

Germany has unrestricted Autobahns.

Track days and track use.

Bigger engines also tend to be smoother, and with bigger, comes more power.
Posted By: Wench Re: Police speed trap - hiding in front garden - 19th Aug 2010 6:12pm
Originally Posted by scoops
The thing is Wench, it does make money for the gubbermint so it can be classed as a moneymaking scheme. It also boosts the stats for the police so they look like they're doing a better job (hence the easy target claim).
That being said, no speeding = no problem wink

I don't have a problem with the moneymaking scheme bit, it's the venom that is aimed at the Police as if they're the ones that keep the fines and make the laws. They're just doing their job ffs.

Originally Posted by CVCVCV
It's the hiding thing that gives it away. If you are hiding, then you are clearly trying to CATCH someone actually speeding rather than trying to prevent it. It's like they are HOPING someone will be speeding so they can write them a ticket and give them a lecture about being dangerous to wives and kids etc - which to me,runs completely counter to the concept of road safety where you would think the preferred option would be preventing speeding - let's face it if it's so damn dangerous, then why are you sitting there hiding, waiting / hoping for it to happen?

My bold. Surely the question should be, if you are aware of the concept of road safety and preventing speeding because it's dangerous then doesn't the buck stop with you!?! YOU are the one in charge and control of the car, it's YOUR foot on the accelerator and it's YOUR decision to speed.

The Police obviously need to keep repeating the same "lecture" about speeding being dangerous because so many fcuktards keep speeding.
Posted By: StuyMac Re: Police speed trap - hiding in front garden - 19th Aug 2010 6:20pm
TBH that has been a well known spot for police to wait with a radar to slow traffic down since I started driving 14 years ago.

If people are STILL getting caught there, they only have themselves to blame.

IMO this known fact that they use the spot is something whcih makes me ensure my speed has been suitably reduced coming in to the built up area, therefor preventing speeding.

If they are still catching people there, then obviously they need to keep doing it, as word hasnt spread everywhere yet, and people are still failing to slow down sufficiently.

Posted By: CVCVCV Re: Police speed trap - hiding in front garden - 19th Aug 2010 7:28pm
Originally Posted by StuyMac
TBH that has been a well known spot for police to wait with a radar to slow traffic down since I started driving 14 years ago.
If they are still catching people there, then obviously they need to keep doing it, as word hasnt spread everywhere yet, and people are still failing to slow down sufficiently.

If slowing people down is deemed necessary (perhaps because of a danger issue or something) then surely there must be a better way to slow people down than posting a bobby there for hours on end with a radar gun. And what about the people who aren't locals and thus can't know they are expected to slow down?
No that makes no sense and makes it more likely that indeed, they have quite simply found it to be a nice, steady EARNER.
Posted By: bert1 Re: Police speed trap - hiding in front garden - 19th Aug 2010 7:52pm
For those who are not locals, there is normally a visible sign with a number on, that tells them to slow down, not expected to slow down. This is the reason they post policemen in certain spots with radar guns because drivers completely ignore these signs. A better way to enforce speed limits is speed humps, now that would cause drivers to moan, they would soon want the policeman back, hidden or not.
Posted By: CVCVCV Re: Police speed trap - hiding in front garden - 19th Aug 2010 8:06pm
Was just responding to Stuy's contention that:
Originally Posted by Stuy
...that has been a well known spot for police to wait with a radar to slow traffic down...
Didn't they stick one of those solar-powered light-up signs there too? Maybe they should just throw a stinger down for every no-brain who speeds thru.
Posted By: StuyMac Re: Police speed trap - hiding in front garden - 19th Aug 2010 9:33pm
Was just responding to Stuy's contention that:
Originally Posted by Stuy
...that has been a well known spot for police to wait with a radar to slow traffic down...

As this is a local site, I thought my comment highly relevant as its locals complaining.

For those who are not locals, there is normally a visible sign with a number on, that tells them to slow down, not expected to slow down. This is the reason they post policemen in certain spots with radar guns because drivers completely ignore these signs. A better way to enforce speed limits is speed humps, now that would cause drivers to moan, they would soon want the policeman back, hidden or not.

withthat

I also stand by that if you dont speed you have nothing to worry about, obey the law and you wont get stopped, wont get points and wont get a fine.

If you think them standing there is a ncie little earner - dont speed, then it wont be - its not hard to understand [Linked Image]

Do those upset about the police being where they are have a clean license? Do you have kids? How about cars drive past your house at 50, 60, 70mph as Im sure car still do at the point in question?
Posted By: Wench Re: Police speed trap - hiding in front garden - 20th Aug 2010 12:05am
If slowing people down is deemed necessary (perhaps because of a danger issue or something) then surely there must be a better way to slow people down than posting a bobby there for hours on end with a radar gun. And what about the people who aren't locals and thus can't know they are expected to slow down?
No that makes no sense and makes it more likely that indeed, they have quite simply found it to be a nice, steady EARNER.

My bold. There is - it's called the DRIVER!!! Why do grown adults who know the dangers of speeding NEED a sign, a hump, a Policeman with a radar gun etc to stop them speeding? If you've done your test then you should know the speed limits, not to mention the stopping distances at certain speeds. I may be wrong, but I'm sure in cars these days there's a dial on the dashboard that TELLS you what speed you are going. Now if you can read the numbers (it's not even words so the most thick of fcuktards can read it) then you'll know if you are speeding. If you know you are speeding, then you know you are at risk of getting a ticket, ergo it's nobody elses fault but your own!! Not the nasty Policeman hiding in the bushes, not the bad bad government who are just picking on the poor motorist, YOURS!!
I live down bayswater and often give it bit of welly only early am when its dead. was on the prom at 1am and sum boy racer was on my tail then the law appeared and pulled him lol
Originally Posted by Wench

My bold. There is - it's called the DRIVER!!! Why do grown adults who know the dangers of speeding NEED a sign, a hump, a Policeman with a radar gun etc to stop them speeding? If you've done your test then you should know the speed limits, not to mention the stopping distances at certain speeds. I may be wrong, but I'm sure in cars these days there's a dial on the dashboard that TELLS you what speed you are going. Now if you can read the numbers (it's not even words so the most thick of fcuktards can read it) then you'll know if you are speeding. If you know you are speeding, then you know you are at risk of getting a ticket, ergo it's nobody elses fault but your own!! Not the nasty Policeman hiding in the bushes, not the bad bad government who are just picking on the poor motorist, YOURS!!

busted withthat
Posted By: Nigel Re: Police speed trap - hiding in front garden - 20th Aug 2010 9:20am
Originally Posted by stephen1972
I live down bayswater and often give it bit of welly only early am when its dead. was on the prom at 1am and sum boy racer was on my tail then the law appeared and pulled him lol

I told you they hide out of view!
Posted By: CVCVCV Re: Police speed trap - hiding in front garden - 20th Aug 2010 8:06pm
Followers of this thread (regardless of which side you're on, or what your point of view) really might find it of interest to read this:

ABD - Speed Limits

it is really quite an informative web page and you might well be quite surprised at a lot of what it has to say. Please (if I may be so bold as to suggest) do read down far enough to get to the section:
"ANNEX E TO DEPARTMENT OF TRANSPORT CIRCULAR ROADS 1/80
- THE EFFECT OF ALTERING LEVELS OF SPEED LIMITS: SUMMARY OF EXPERIENCE"

Really FASCINATING information.
Posted By: CVCVCV Re: Police speed trap - hiding in front garden - 20th Aug 2010 8:27pm
Excuse me, my bad, the page was updated - here:

The Association of British Drivers

Still a very interesting read!
Posted By: bert1 Re: Police speed trap - hiding in front garden - 20th Aug 2010 8:37pm
Regardless of how speed limits are set on our roads is of no consequence when actually traveling on that road, once the limit has been determined and speed limit signs are erected it is up to us as drivers to observe the limit and the law. To speed and show contempt for the law will not get the speed limit changed, there are avenues ( no pun intended ) one can go down to object to the speed limit. At the beginning of this thread the poster was insinuating that the Police were only interested in making money and not in reducing speed or not protecting the safety of other car users. I think its been proven that the Police don't make any money and their presence does reduce speeders.
Posted By: CVCVCV Re: Police speed trap - hiding in front garden - 20th Aug 2010 9:09pm
No it is not (necessarily) of no consequence at all... as the point being made is that 85% of drivers already do drive at an appropriate and safe speed depending upon the road conditions / appearance, regardless of the presence or absence of speed limit signs. Thus if (and only if) a speed limit is (genuinely) set unneccesarily or excessively low, then ~85% of drivers will indeed most likely not all observe it - not because they are irresponsible lawbreakers but simply because they naturally respond to road conditions / appearance over any speed limit signs - whether that limit is lower or higher than the speed that their perception indicates they can safely drive at.
Putting up speed limit signs has been shown in reality to not change the behavior of the vast majority of drivers - it simply makes criminals out of some percentage of them and a nice little earner for the recipient of the fines (revenues) obtained as a result of overworked police straining to try and over-enforce an unrealistically low speed limit.
None of this applies to APPROPRIATELY set speed limits, where those people exceeding them are by definition, driving faster than the sensible 85 percentile of people would do. Have at it then, by all means, the boys in blue!!
Posted By: bert1 Re: Police speed trap - hiding in front garden - 21st Aug 2010 7:01am
The point being made may well be appropriate when setting a speed limit for a road, but it has no bearing on motorists speeding once the roads limit has been determined. This is the point i have been trying to make, just because 85% of the motorist on a particular road think the speed limit is to low and drive at a speed they think is safe, wouldn't stand up in court. Knowing what the speed limit is, it should be adhered to. The thought of doing away with speed limit signs and letting motorist self regulate would only lead to carnage. In my opinion the reason people drive at 70 on motorways is because they can, the reason people drive at 30 on a 30mph road is because they have to.
Posted By: CVCVCV Re: Police speed trap - hiding in front garden - 21st Aug 2010 8:38pm
Fair comments Bert - I'm not advocating no speed limits, just sensible ones that don't require over-enforcement by the police and can't be accused of being there to enable easy revenue.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral