Forums
Posted By: Anonymous Hundreds pay their respects to Private Alex Isaac - 16th Jul 2010 3:17pm
Hundreds pay their respects to Private Alex Isaac at his funeral today

HUNDREDS of mourners lined the streets today to pay their last respects to fallen Wirral soldier, Private Alex Isaac.

Family and friends packed St Mary's Church in Eastham to say goodbye to the 20-year-old, who died in Afghanistan on June 23.

Private Isaac, from Eastham, was killed when the armoured vehicle he was travelling in plunged into a canal.

He died alongside his colleagues from the Police Advisory Team - Private Dougie Halliday, also from Wirral, Colour Sergeant Martyn Horton, and Lance Corporal David Ramsden.

Major Ronnie Goodwin, the rear operations group 1st Battalion, The Mercian Regiment (Cheshire), described Alex as a "professional" and a "real character" in his regiment.

He said: "In his short time with the regiment, Private Alex Isaac made a massive impact. He was always getting up to mischief with his best friend, Dougie Halliday, as all soldiers do when they are in barracks.

"But of course once they are deployed on overseas exercise they are thoroughly professional men and Alex was certainly one of them."

Major Goodwin said morale within the battalion remains high and they are focussing on the job in hand.

He added: "It's been a very difficult week for the battalion. But Private Alex's colleagues are coping well and we will continue to do our work in Helmand until we leave."

Alex, a former South Wirral High School pupil, was described by his mother Annette as a "strong and brave boy" who will be missed by everone who knew and loved him.

During the service, some of Alex's favourite songs, such as Dizzee Rascal's 'You got the love' and Jason Derulo's 'In my head', were played to celebrate his life.

His fellow comrades sent their tributes commenting on his "wicked sense of humour" and his ability to "make any situation into a party."

Heartfelt messages from Alex's family were also read out during the service, including a moving tribute from his girlfriend Megan Anyon.

She said: "From the moment I wake up until the moment I go to sleep, you are always in my thoughts.

"I keep going over and over the last converstaion I had with you. You were talking about all the things you had planned for when you returned home from tour.

"I am so proud to be known and loved by someone like you. Wherever I go and whatever I do, I know that you will be there with me. I will always love you."

THE GLOBE
RIP Alex. frown

He was an ex's cousin frown
© Wirral-Wikiwirral