Forums
Posted By: Anonymous Tributes paid at funeral of Wallasey soldier - 14th Jul 2010 8:53pm

Soldier Douglas Halliday laid to rest as hundreds line streets in tribute

THE GRIEVING cousin of a soldier killed in Afghanistan said at his funeral that “the world stopped” when she heard he had died.

Private Douglas Halliday, 20, from Wallasey, was killed when the vehicle he was in overturned into a canal.

Speaking at the funeral at Holy Cross Church in Woodchurch yesterday his cousin Helen Fisher said: “Douglas Niall Halliday, I’m honoured to talk about you today, even though it breaks my heart.

“From that knock on the door, the phone call, the news passed on, for each and every person here, and so many more that can’t be here today, the world stopped.

“Their hearts screamed and things will never be the same again.”

Pte Halliday died on June 23 in an attack at the Nahr-e-Bughra canal alongside three of his colleagues from the police advisory team – Col Sgt Martyn Horton from Runcorn, Lce Cpl David Ramsden, and Pte Alex Isaac from Wirral.

Hundreds lined the streets as the cortege approached the listed stone church.

Two military horses walked in front of the hearse and people wept as the coffin was carried in by soldiers.

Led by Reverend Anne Davis, Priest-in- Charge of Holy Cross, the service was relayed on speakers to an overspill of mourners in a building yards from the church, and to those gathered outside.

THE ECHO
Posted By: Wench Re: Tributes paid at funeral of Wallasey soldier - 14th Jul 2010 9:10pm
R.I.P Pte Halliday frown Stand easy now. x
Posted By: Handbag Re: Tributes paid at funeral of Wallasey soldier - 14th Jul 2010 10:30pm
My thoughts and prayers are with his family and friends.. Rest in peace.
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Tributes paid at funeral of Wallasey soldier - 14th Jul 2010 11:44pm
R.I.P Hero. God bless your loved ones x x x
Posted By: bert1 Re: Tributes paid at funeral of Wallasey soldier - 15th Jul 2010 4:45am
Rest in peace and God Bless
© Wirral-Wikiwirral