Forums
Posted By: angie Ash from Iceland - 15th Apr 2010 8:23am
My friend has just told me that all the ash from the volcanoe in Iceland that erupted is coming over this way and we will be covered with it soon is this true .
Posted By: bert1 Re: Ash from Iceland - 15th Apr 2010 8:28am
Get the washing in, QUICK,

Possible as we use to get sand from storms in the desert. Cars use to be covered in the stuff.
Posted By: StuyMac Re: Ash from Iceland - 15th Apr 2010 8:30am
Ive heard it has effected air travel due to it being dangerous for planes to fly through the cloud as it is in the flight path to North America from europe, not sure if the "cloud" will actually effect people on the ground directly though think
Posted By: bert1 Re: Ash from Iceland - 15th Apr 2010 8:36am
http://news.sky.com/skynews/Article/201004115602425
Posted By: StuyMac Re: Ash from Iceland - 15th Apr 2010 9:21am
[Linked Image]
Posted By: bert1 Re: Ash from Iceland - 15th Apr 2010 9:28am
The latest is, no flights allowed in to British air space from midday. So it must be getting worse.
Posted By: MissGuided Re: Ash from Iceland - 15th Apr 2010 9:36am
Golly!
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: Ash from Iceland - 15th Apr 2010 9:45am
Thats why mums go to iceland

Attached picture Untitled2.jpg
Posted By: starakita Re: Ash from Iceland - 15th Apr 2010 9:53am
yumyum
Posted By: MissGuided Re: Ash from Iceland - 15th Apr 2010 11:01am
More likely for Ms Katona...

Attached picture hash.gif
Posted By: MrBrightside Re: Ash from Iceland - 15th Apr 2010 11:11am
Yum Yum Ill be going to iceland now! haha
Posted By: BandyCoot Re: Ash from Iceland - 16th Apr 2010 12:32pm
Not in an aircraft you won't
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Ash from Iceland - 16th Apr 2010 2:05pm
The ash on the ground will be minimal, it is very spread out and pretty much staying up there in the lower jet-stream. The reason the aircraft can't fly through it is because of the very high temperature in the engines melting it onto internal surfaces, the extreme quantity of air passing through the engines (up to about 100,000 cubic metres per second) means even a small density of ash can accumulate significant quantities.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Ash from Iceland - 16th Apr 2010 2:26pm
I wonder if we could simply just fly south of it. Sod the rest of the johnny foreigners flight paths. We are British and have right of way anyhow!
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Ash from Iceland - 16th Apr 2010 4:57pm
100% right Paul. If they start grumbling all their foreign-type mumbo jumbo about it - send in the gun boats. That'll keep the blighters quiet !

Now, where did I put my G & T ??
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Ash from Iceland - 17th Apr 2010 8:36am
As someone touched on in another thread, we can look forward to some spectacular sunsets for quite a while.

Has anyone noticed the peace and quiet with no aerogogs around ? Not much comfort though to those stuck in some mangy airport terminal with howling ankle-biters trying to get home etc.

A volcanologist (sp?) on the radio a hour ago was saying that the volcano is showing no signs of easing up. Guess this could pan out for quite a while.

Posted By: Softy_Southerner Re: Ash from Iceland - 17th Apr 2010 8:52am
As you say, it can't be great stuck in some airport but I can't believe how much people are moaning!!! It's for their safety FFS!
Posted By: bert1 Re: Ash from Iceland - 17th Apr 2010 9:29am
We might all be moaning soon if freight is effected, just hope my uncle joes mintballs don't come in by plane.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Ash from Iceland - 17th Apr 2010 10:27am
They're on the next steamer from Wigan Pier Bert. No worries !
© Wirral-Wikiwirral