Forums
Posted By: Anonymous Rare thundersnow storm sweeps up the Mersey - 23rd Dec 2009 6:59am
Rare thundersnow storm sweeps up the Mersey battering Wirral and Liverpool

A RARE weather phenomenon known as thundersnow swept up the Mersey yesterday bringing the strangest of blizzard conditions.

The strange combination which battered Wirral and Liverpool on Tuesday is a well known but rarely seen spectacle.

It was caused by warmer temperatures over the Irish Sea clashing with the icy conditions nearer land.

Like thunder storms in the summer that produce heavy rain, thunder snow storms cause intense localised downfalls.

Snapper Dave said: "It was extraordinary to see the pall of black weather moving in down the Mersey.

"At the south end of the river there was a beautiful orange sky, then Liverpool had swirling grey clouds over the waterfront, and then came the thunder snow."

THE ECHO
Posted By: Wheels Re: Rare thundersnow storm sweeps up the Mersey - 23rd Dec 2009 9:30am
I though it looked strange. I was looking on the WirralCams to see what snow was about and could see Liverpool in a thick black cloud but the Wirral clear lol
Posted By: kezzbag Re: Rare thundersnow storm sweeps up the Mersey - 24th Dec 2009 12:58am
I thought I`d seen lightening out of the corner of my eye but put it down to headlights on a car goin past then thunder came. Very strange. The pix are cool tho.
Posted By: bobi1 Re: Rare thundersnow storm sweeps up the Mersey - 24th Dec 2009 1:21am
I thought it was odd to hear thunder at this time of year, but nothing happened beyond that. Love those broody pics.
Posted By: bobi1 Re: Rare thundersnow storm sweeps up the Mersey - 24th Dec 2009 1:23am
I let my kids play out till nearly midnight tonight cos we had an inch of snow. I just know it will be gone by the morning so they might as well enjoy it while it lasts.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral