Forums
Posted By: RUDEBOX Census - 16th Oct 2009 12:09pm
The police were pulling over random veichles on the 'four bridges' road yesterday.
But it wasnt police -well, no uniform- talking to the drivers.
A sign said 'census'. Anybody know what 'its' about?
Posted By: bert1 Re: Census - 16th Oct 2009 12:15pm
They were doing it in Ashville rd by the park the other day, don't know what its about, i never got stopped. There were no uniform police there, not what i could see.
Posted By: BandyCoot Re: Census - 16th Oct 2009 12:16pm
I didn't think that just anybody can flag traffic down. Thought there always had to be a legitimiser among them.
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Census - 16th Oct 2009 12:19pm
One uniformed, could be two. Rest in civvys with hi vis jackets
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Census - 16th Oct 2009 12:19pm
One uniformed, could be two. Rest in civvys with hi vis jackets
Posted By: bert1 Re: Census - 16th Oct 2009 12:21pm
I think a Ministry of Transport official could, they all had yellow safety jackets on. Don't recall what was written on them.
Posted By: BandyCoot Re: Census - 16th Oct 2009 12:22pm
Probaly had Ministry of Transport on the back, I don't think they're allowed to have "Beckham" and a no. 7 on.

nono
Posted By: 8HBob Re: Census - 16th Oct 2009 12:30pm
The ones on Duke St. yesterday evening certainly had 2 police officers flagging down the traffic.

Bob.
Posted By: DavidB Re: Census - 16th Oct 2009 12:34pm
Saw that yesterday. They're 'surveying', I think they're taking details down like sending your census form off. If so, it's a bit worrying having a police officer pulling you over. They also had two vans parked at either end radio-ing in the car details as you passed.
See if anyone official can confirm what they were doing.
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Census - 16th Oct 2009 12:35pm
The plod was the one doing the air hostess thing with his arms!
Posted By: BandyCoot Re: Census - 16th Oct 2009 12:39pm
Flying???
Posted By: kimpri Re: Census - 16th Oct 2009 12:40pm
Originally Posted by RUDEBOX
The police were pulling over random veichles on the 'four bridges' road yesterday.
But it wasnt police -well, no uniform- talking to the drivers.
A sign said 'census'. Anybody know what 'its' about?

we were stopped twice by them,first in claughton village on Wednesday then last night by tip penny bridge,ask you were have you been,where are you going,were is car parked at night time,
3 or 4 police there pulling you over,I think its just another way to pull up, check you out while doing census part? pulling 3 at a time over.
Posted By: DavidB Re: Census - 16th Oct 2009 12:41pm
That's a bit strange! Why would they need to know that? What part of the census did they do?
Posted By: BandyCoot Re: Census - 16th Oct 2009 12:41pm
Roger that, over.
Posted By: kimpri Re: Census - 16th Oct 2009 12:49pm
Originally Posted by Violet
That's a bit strange! Why would they need to know that? What part of the census did they do?
none the police stood on both ends census line.
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Census - 16th Oct 2009 12:55pm
Where you going? Where you been? Bit spanish inquistion, innit?
Seems they doing it in lots of places too. Why?
Posted By: DavidB Re: Census - 16th Oct 2009 12:57pm
Where are you going? Driving into the Census interrogation queue.
Where have you been? On the road before being pulled in for interrogation.
Where do you park at night? Outside your missus' house.
Posted By: chriskay Re: Census - 16th Oct 2009 12:58pm
These traffic censuses are usually to determine traffic flow, i.e. where from, where to? It's supposed to help with planning. The police are there just to stop you; they don't ask the questions. I'm pretty certain you don't have to answer if you don't want to.
Posted By: BandyCoot Re: Census - 16th Oct 2009 1:00pm
Just tell them you don't get involved in censuses when you're bevvied.
Posted By: bert1 Re: Census - 16th Oct 2009 1:04pm
Sould be glad their not giving you a free MOT while there at it.
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Census - 16th Oct 2009 1:07pm
Originally Posted by chriskay
These traffic censuses are usually to determine traffic flow, i.e. where from, where to? It's supposed to help with planning. The police are there just to stop you; they don't ask the questions. I'm pretty certain you don't have to answer if you don't want to.
thanks. This makes sense now.
Posted By: BandyCoot Re: Census - 16th Oct 2009 1:08pm
Don't you watch Police, Camera, Action? They don't miss a trick and should imagine an MOT will be on the cards if required, very helpful like that. It's good for those who work within the regs anyway eh bert? Why should some people pay to drive safely and others get away with it.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Census - 16th Oct 2009 1:32pm
If you were stopped by these people as you walked through the town centre then you carry on walking by and tell them to p*ss off. Don't see why we can't do that whilst driving!!
Posted By: DavidB Re: Census - 16th Oct 2009 1:40pm
I think I would've waved back if the copper waved me over, and drove straight past!

I've noticed a lot of those wires on the road recently as well.
Posted By: SoundLad Re: Census - 16th Oct 2009 2:04pm
Bloody ell! getting worse this country.. Next minute they would be wanting to know how big your dongle is.. whats your favourtie color.. If anyone wants to know any information about me then you can find information about me \/ there hehe smile Seriously though why would they need so much information just for a check i think its just a stop check along with a census check.. But shouldnt it be like birkenhead if someones asks you what gas you use or do you have sky.. Well everytime they ask i go im with e-on or sky or scottish power or something else you get the picture smile Just say youve got E-ON if you dont have it or similar cause it allows you to carry on walking with a thank you off the purpertrator selling gas or electricity or sky.
Posted By: hoseman Re: Census - 16th Oct 2009 6:46pm
Theyve been on Corpy Rd also and at the Duke st Bridge. Missus was pulled over, wanted to see her driving lisence etc??? That aint census, thats plod!!!
Posted By: Shadow_Omega Re: Census - 16th Oct 2009 7:16pm
what are those weird wires for anyway?
Posted By: hoseman Re: Census - 16th Oct 2009 7:20pm
Across the roads, traffic cencus, counting cars to be exact, caus we all know that the authorities cant be trusted with numbers!!!
Posted By: Shadow_Omega Re: Census - 16th Oct 2009 7:36pm
i wouldn't trust them with a donut let alone a piece of paper
Posted By: bri445 Re: Census - 16th Oct 2009 10:20pm
There's a big campaign nationwide to check tax and insurance, so you can bet they looked at your disc and checked the database for legit details. No more 'Guiness bottle labels'! The non-payers can have the car confiscated and crushed!
Posted By: kimpri Re: Census - 16th Oct 2009 10:51pm
and there is a new law out, if the police confiscate your car for wot ever reason, only the owner of car allowed to get it out,same name on logbook/driving licence/and insurance,
ie,you get your car out, And i get mine out,No more getting someones car out for them on your full comp insurance, joyride no smile
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Census - 16th Oct 2009 11:16pm
Good job that my only reliable transport i got are my very own legs.
Posted By: karenjon Re: Census - 19th Oct 2009 9:02am
police setting census up outside st caths hospital tranmere . busy road cars always parked on both sides .saves them paying for parking in hospital.
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: Census - 19th Oct 2009 9:14am
Originally Posted by Shadow_Omega
what are those weird wires for anyway?
Originally Posted by hoseman
Across the roads, traffic cencus, counting cars to be exact, caus we all know that the authorities cant be trusted with numbers!!!

You usually see speed restrictors go up after soon after they've been down i.e. speed cameras, speed bumps e.t.c
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Census - 19th Oct 2009 10:20am
Today outside st caths, derby rd they there. No visible plod bt 2 hiding in an unmarked car. Camera set up too.
Posted By: DavidB Re: Census - 19th Oct 2009 1:03pm
And another one on Old Chester Road.

I was pulled in today, and said I was late for an appointment and I was 'allowed' to leave within seconds of pulling in.
I recommend you do the same!
Posted By: Wheels Re: Census - 19th Oct 2009 5:20pm
Got stopped at the St caths one today and was handed a letter, was asked to fill out the questions and freepost back, there is also one on old chester Rd and one on the A41 just past the KFC round about across the road from plumbing city
Posted By: phalinmegob Re: Census - 19th Oct 2009 5:32pm
one outside lidl in old chester road about an hour ago
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Census - 19th Oct 2009 5:50pm
Originally Posted by Wheels
Got stopped at the St caths one today and was handed a letter, was asked to fill out the questions and freepost back, there is also one on old chester Rd and one on the A41 just past the KFC round about across the road from plumbing city
what are the questions about? Gawd, i can be nosy at times lol
Posted By: Softy_Southerner Re: Census - 19th Oct 2009 5:55pm
Originally Posted by RUDEBOX
what are the questions about? Gawd, i can be nosy at times lol

dunno
Posted By: Wheels Re: Census - 19th Oct 2009 5:57pm
i will scan it for you smile
Posted By: KevinFinity Re: Census - 19th Oct 2009 5:58pm
I got pulled over on Monday morning at 7:30am on laird street by some horrible rude police woman for the Traffic survey and told to "speak to that man". He said he was doing a traffic survey for the 'busys', yes he atchelly used that word right in front of them. Where are you going and Why?, Where are you parking?, What is your postcode?. Fortunately thats all it was and I was free to go.
Posted By: Snodvan Re: Census - 19th Oct 2009 7:32pm
Been looking things up on the web and the key point from an official "procedures" document is that anyone stopped/ pulled over by the police for a census survey must receive from the census people:-

"a clear intention to indicate to the motorist as early as
possible that he/she is under no obligation to stay and
answer the survey questions and that any responses
offered are entirely voluntary."

The same information was given by a Minister in response to a parliamentary question - and is recorded in Hansard

http://hansard.millbanksystems.com/commons/1974/jul/26/traffic-surveys

Snod
Posted By: karenjon Re: Census - 21st Oct 2009 8:25am
census bottom of ford hill today they seem tobe doing everywhere
Posted By: BandyCoot Re: Census - 21st Oct 2009 11:14am
It used to be like that in East Berlin.
Posted By: StuyMac Re: Census - 21st Oct 2009 12:22pm
I got Censorised this morning - bottom of the M53 by the Penny Bridge.....
Posted By: DavidB Re: Census - 21st Oct 2009 12:28pm
Originally Posted by BandyCoot
It used to be like that in East Berlin.

It feels that way ... I could gladly just wave and drive past, but the copper would be on my tail for some law I've just broken.
Posted By: delta6 Re: Census - 21st Oct 2009 12:35pm
they are on hoylake road too just after the tennis centra heading towards st james church! they didnt pull me over though.
Posted By: BandyCoot Re: Census - 21st Oct 2009 12:38pm
Do what we used to do and demand to speak to a Russian Officer.

laffin
Posted By: bri445 Re: Census - 21st Oct 2009 2:42pm
There's probably a Russian/Polish/Urdu officer/translator available to hand! busted
Posted By: BandyCoot Re: Census - 21st Oct 2009 2:53pm

You're Nikita

laffin
Posted By: karenjon Re: Census - 22nd Oct 2009 8:39am
yet another census this time on borough road . just after lights near libary. boyfriend got stopped twice yesterday once in van then in car ha ha.
Posted By: Shadow_Omega Re: Census - 22nd Oct 2009 9:07am
Another Census post has cropped up on Park Road South Near Cole Street Primary. just went flying right past them.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral