Forums
Posted By: kimpri bidston tunnels reopen bid launched - 3rd Oct 2009 2:14pm
Community group launches ambitious bid to open Bidston tunnels to the public
Sep 30 2009 by Lorna Hughes, Birkenhead News

1 2 next
AN ambitious project has been launched to open a network of tunnels under Bidston Hill to the public.

Wirral was given funds to establish two deep air raid shelters in 1941, one in Tranmere and another under Bidston Hill’s Rhododendron Garden, its entrance facing Hoylake Road.

The Bidston shelter had 2,213 bunks and 793 seats, as well as a canteen, staff dormitory, toilets, medical aid post and a ventilation shaft which could double as an emergency escape hatch.

The tunnels, which were 7ft wide and 6ft 6in wide, were rarely used and the entrance was eventually sealed up.

Now consultants have been asked by a Bidston community group to look at how the shelters could be brought back into use as a tourist attraction.

Peter Crawford, of Bidston Preservation Trust, said: “Our plan would be for the rhododendron garden to become a memorial garden to all those killed during the war.

“Hopefully we would be able to open up little sections inside the tunnels and recreate it as it would have looked
“It would be easier to open the Bidston tunnels than the ones in Tranmere because there is no industry. We have got open space in front of them and you could get people in. I think it would be stunning and there’s huge potential to turn it into a tourist attraction.

“We’re very determined and we want to see them brought back into use.”

Mr Crawford said it was too early to say how much the project would cost.

In the 1960s the shelter was considered as a place that could be of use because of the Cold War, but there was a lot of dry rot in the timberwork, and it has lain unused ever since.

Bidston councillor Jim Crabtree, who remembers playing in the tunnels as a child, said the idea of opening the shelter as a tourist attraction was originally suggested in 1984.

He said: “The tunnels are absolutely huge and it was built in a big H-shape.

“I think it’s a brilliant idea.” thumbsup

Posted By: davew3 Re: bidston tunnels reopen bid launched - 3rd Oct 2009 2:27pm
I hope they do open them,it's a long time since seeing the inside of them as kids,so they were "closed" at the time,but as kids we thought we were the only ones to have seen the inside of them,even explorers have to start somewhere. :-)
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: bidston tunnels reopen bid launched - 3rd Oct 2009 2:30pm
Yerr! Good find kimpri1. Wonder if they got a petition on the go?
Posted By: Wheels Re: bidston tunnels reopen bid launched - 3rd Oct 2009 2:30pm
yeerrrrr! laugh
Posted By: bert1 Re: bidston tunnels reopen bid launched - 3rd Oct 2009 2:35pm
They could open them and have some library's and shops in there or is that too far fetched.
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: bidston tunnels reopen bid launched - 3rd Oct 2009 2:44pm
Peter crawford 0151 652 3141
Lets volunteer to get petitions going in the 4 corners of wirral!
Theres a website but too small for me to see, on my phone.
Posted By: kimpri Re: bidston tunnels reopen bid launched - 3rd Oct 2009 2:53pm
shop/cafe/information desk? I'm sure that everyone would benefit from it..
Posted By: LukeORourke Re: bidston tunnels reopen bid launched - 3rd Oct 2009 3:02pm
i would sign a petition, but you would have to come a long way to see me laugh
or e-mail it to me and i will sign and i'll fax it back(thats a maybe)
Posted By: BandyCoot Re: bidston tunnels reopen bid launched - 3rd Oct 2009 3:05pm
With a bit of imagination it could be some sort of adventure playground with trade outlets in it as well. Kids are in to dungeons and hobbits and other troggy creatures (not you Robbo) so it could work.
Posted By: LukeORourke Re: bidston tunnels reopen bid launched - 3rd Oct 2009 3:54pm
or an underground shopping centre
Posted By: kimpri Re: bidston tunnels reopen bid launched - 3rd Oct 2009 5:01pm
there not that big inside dude
Posted By: TRANCENTRAL Re: bidston tunnels reopen bid launched - 3rd Oct 2009 5:51pm
yerrrrr joe nice post mate tunnneeeellls smile
Posted By: Shadow_Omega Re: bidston tunnels reopen bid launched - 3rd Oct 2009 6:21pm
i hope this pulls through and everyone can gain access to it instead if having to either squeeze through metal barriers or dig through thick soil just for a nose.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: bidston tunnels reopen bid launched - 3rd Oct 2009 6:50pm
Mightn't be the most popular bunny in the hutch for saying this but....... IMHO Tranmere is by far and away the better location. Bidston is much smaller than Tranmere. It's suffered much more from the brainless numpties with their graffiti etc. It has standing water (damaged drains). The reinstatement of the exit shaft (the H&S mob would insist on that) wouldn't go down a bomb on Biddy Hill now.

Holborn Hill Quarry would make an ideal entrance. It's a right sight at the moment with dead cars, junk etc. A visitor centre incorporating the entrance (think Stockport shelters) would be more acceptable there than building on the "green" site off Hoylake Road.

The emergency way out would be through the re-opened shaft in Frodsham St. (Re-build the shaft head "as was" only yob proof)
Tranmere has oodles more space and it's (mostly) in pristine condition. No standing water to speak of either.

Tranmere could be Birkenhead's "Stockport" ie. a great tourist attraction !!

Sorry Mr Crawford - you're backing the wrong hole in the ground !

I'll stand back and await the flaming !!!

Posted By: davew3 Re: bidston tunnels reopen bid launched - 3rd Oct 2009 7:02pm
Not bothered which ,both are now in the history book of Birkenhead.I think that's more important,but I would like to see one of them open,imagine history for the kids in schools (do they still do history in schools or has that been downgraded),going to see where their grandad and grandma spent time underground because of the blitz.
Posted By: bert1 Re: bidston tunnels reopen bid launched - 3rd Oct 2009 7:05pm
Its a pity the both can't be opened and maybe one day they will, I am sure the powers to be will open if any what is the most viable.
Posted By: kimpri Re: bidston tunnels reopen bid launched - 3rd Oct 2009 8:51pm
ye both tunnels how cool would that be
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: bidston tunnels reopen bid launched - 3rd Oct 2009 8:56pm
Am deffo gna ring that peter fella re petition.
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: bidston tunnels reopen bid launched - 3rd Oct 2009 8:59pm
In fact, theres an online petition site somewhere. May find that instead+ post it here. Worth a shot?
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: bidston tunnels reopen bid launched - 3rd Oct 2009 9:19pm
www.PetitionOnline.com
Any vols? If none by 2m al do it, just fort it wud be easier to do on a pute! Copy n paste-is it?
No vols then al do it- them tunnels are worth a calloused thumb.
Posted By: dannysayer Re: bidston tunnels reopen bid launched - 3rd Oct 2009 9:32pm
What about this site for starting a petition - http://petitions.number10.gov.uk/
Posted By: UrbanEx2U Re: bidston tunnels reopen bid launched - 3rd Oct 2009 9:35pm
I wanted to do this smile

When we spoke to Peter Crawford he said he will want volunteers..

There might be a 70% chance of this happing in the next 3 years

thumbsup
Posted By: Christine12 Re: bidston tunnels reopen bid launched - 3rd Oct 2009 9:39pm
I've signed a few petitions in the past on this website, the closure of Woodchurch Leisure Centre was one. We should definitely set up a petition - I think volunteers would be plenty and let's keep our fingers crossed for the next 3 years!
Posted By: chriskay Re: bidston tunnels reopen bid launched - 3rd Oct 2009 9:55pm
I think Pinzgauer has the right idea. There's the ideal entrance/visitor centre in the quarry & from recent photos Tranmere is in better condition.
Posted By: MattLFC Re: bidston tunnels reopen bid launched - 3rd Oct 2009 10:58pm
Sorry folks, but this won't happen. 70% chance? No way in hell. Mght be? There either is a 70% chance or there isnt lol. Id say more a 0.002% chance if we are going to quote random figures plucked up from the sky lol. As Pinzgauer said, the Tranmere Tunnels are a much better option in all apsects, if either were to be re-opened to the public, and they have been trying with them on and off for years.

This will not get the funding, interest or approval im afraid, and the condition of the tunnels means there is very very little that can realistically be done with them (apart from use it for a place to shove all the smackheads in and lock them in there).

We should all channel our energies into getting the Tranmere Tunnels re-opened. At least they are a realistic possibility, though still a very small one at that, and a long-term goal rather than anytime soon.
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: bidston tunnels reopen bid launched - 4th Oct 2009 12:21am
Any one gonna set it up? Petition i mean. Either site listed or anuva one? Yerr people power! Wiki, facebook, bebo etc
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: bidston tunnels reopen bid launched - 4th Oct 2009 12:30am
Originally Posted by dannysayer
What about this site for starting a petition - http://petitions.number10.gov.uk/
no existing petition. Were good to go gang!
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: bidston tunnels reopen bid launched - 4th Oct 2009 11:56am
What tunnels on the petition then?
Bidston
Tranmere
Both
Posted By: LukeORourke Re: bidston tunnels reopen bid launched - 4th Oct 2009 12:04pm
we should do a petition for both if that is possible or if it was a matter of life or death, i would choose tranmere because of various reasons such as entrance location known, not flooded in parts(that we know of) and last of all its near green lane station and links to public transport
Posted By: hoseman Re: bidston tunnels reopen bid launched - 4th Oct 2009 12:09pm
I agree with Pinz, Bidston is too wrecked inside, roof, floors, drains etc. Also, it isnt realy THAT big inside, im 6` and it was a bit enclosed for me! I applaud the idea but not the location. Tranmere would have to have my vote! thumbsup
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: bidston tunnels reopen bid launched - 4th Oct 2009 1:09pm
Just trying to find info re tranmere ie size of the place, dates etc. Dont wanna do a half arsed job
Posted By: kimpri Re: bidston tunnels reopen bid launched - 4th Oct 2009 1:10pm
both its worth a try.
Would it be worth opening up the easiest first then using the proceeds from the vistors to restore and open up the second????
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: bidston tunnels reopen bid launched - 4th Oct 2009 1:23pm
Ok. Doing tranmere first, found some info on the bbc website. Be back soon gang.
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: bidston tunnels reopen bid launched - 4th Oct 2009 1:46pm
Ok. Dun and dusted. Gone to number 10 for approval. Let you know when it goes live.
Do bidston later-got an headache now!
Posted By: kimpri Re: bidston tunnels reopen bid launched - 4th Oct 2009 2:25pm
nice one rude did you put pics in your email to me
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: bidston tunnels reopen bid launched - 4th Oct 2009 4:55pm
Originally Posted by RUDEBOX
Ok. Dun and dusted. Gone to number 10 for approval. Let you know when it goes live.
Do bidston later-got an headache now!
should be up within 5 days and we need at least 500 sigs for it to go to the relevent gov't department!
Does anyone know of anyone we could/ should inform, conservation sites etc for extra publicity??
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: bidston tunnels reopen bid launched - 4th Oct 2009 6:03pm
Done biddy as well now.
Posted By: LukeORourke Re: bidston tunnels reopen bid launched - 4th Oct 2009 9:00pm
put the link on 28dayslater , i'm sure there would be a lot of interest on there laugh and Yo!Liverpool and here North West urbex forums , just a few ideas smile
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: bidston tunnels reopen bid launched - 6th Oct 2009 5:31pm
Originally Posted by LukeORourke
put the link on 28dayslater , i'm sure there would be a lot of interest on there laugh and Yo!Liverpool and here North West urbex forums , just a few ideas smile
the links up. New post in wirral lifestyle-heritage-petition bidston shelters. Please sign.
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: bidston tunnels reopen bid launched - 6th Oct 2009 5:32pm
Mods! This is getting messy-3 posts up now.
Posted By: TRANCENTRAL Re: bidston tunnels reopen bid launched - 6th Oct 2009 6:09pm
pm sent to jase!
Posted By: kimpri Re: bidston tunnels reopen bid launched - 6th Oct 2009 6:26pm
Tc told you that someone else had put up the same topic as me. bidston tunnel reopen bid launched somad
Posted By: TRANCENTRAL Re: bidston tunnels reopen bid launched - 6th Oct 2009 6:34pm
Originally Posted by kimpri1
Tc told you that someone else had put up the same topic as me. bidston tunnel reopen bid launched somad

SORRY DUDE last few days me head up me backside lol
Posted By: kimpri Re: bidston tunnels reopen bid launched - 6th Oct 2009 6:46pm
wasn't mad at you Tc you didn't post same one up as i already posted up. thumbsup
Posted By: TRANCENTRAL Re: bidston tunnels reopen bid launched - 6th Oct 2009 6:49pm
not a mod on this page mate can not move it bud only jase or mark!
Posted By: kimpri Re: bidston tunnels reopen bid launched - 6th Oct 2009 7:16pm
no worries dude will get sorted soon thanks for that and thanks for this cool yipee yipee yipee happy
Posted By: LukeORourke Re: bidston tunnels reopen bid launched - 8th Oct 2009 5:59am
Signed both, just going to get my family members 2 sign them
© Wirral-Wikiwirral