Forums
Posted By: Anonymous Spy cameras will be in force in Liverpool - 14th Sep 2009 7:26pm
Spy cameras will be in force in Liverpool’s bus lanes from today

CAMERAS to catch motorists using bus lanes start operating from today.

Drivers captured by CCTV will have to pay fines.

The cameras will be in action at Lime Street, between Ranelagh Street and Elliot Street.

The CCTV will also be in force in Old Haymarket, between Queensway tunnel and St John’s Lane.

The third camera will watch motorists in the right turn into James Street from The Strand.

Warnings will be issued at first but in the next few weeks drivers who ignore the bus lanes regulations will be fined £60.

The fine will be reduced to £30 for early payment.

Buses, cyclists, hackney carriages and private hire taxis, which display stickers, will be allowed to use the lanes.

Broken down vehicles are also allowed to use the lanes.

THE ECHO
Posted By: bert1 Re: Spy cameras will be in force in Liverpool - 14th Sep 2009 8:17pm
Good, I'm fed up with idiots undertaking me. Those who think the law applies to everyone else bar them.
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Spy cameras will be in force in Liverpool - 14th Sep 2009 8:42pm
If you got 3 x 3points for speeding, wot happens if you get anuva 3 points? Is that an auto ban? And wud that be until the 1st 3 points wear out?
Posted By: bert1 Re: Spy cameras will be in force in Liverpool - 14th Sep 2009 8:45pm
yes i think so.
Posted By: Sanchez Re: Spy cameras will be in force in Liverpool - 14th Sep 2009 8:55pm
i doubt its poits, can you drive motor cycles through the bis lanes or is it just cycle bikes?
Posted By: bert1 Re: Spy cameras will be in force in Liverpool - 14th Sep 2009 8:59pm
Are you trying to be the policeman from hello hello. Gud moaning,
Posted By: Sanchez Re: Spy cameras will be in force in Liverpool - 14th Sep 2009 9:54pm
lol, stupid wireless keyboard, i shall only shall that once btw wink
Posted By: chriskay Re: Spy cameras will be in force in Liverpool - 14th Sep 2009 10:46pm
Originally Posted by RUDEBOX
If you got 3 x 3points for speeding, wot happens if you get anuva 3 points? Is that an auto ban? And wud that be until the 1st 3 points wear out?

Yes, an automatic 12 month ban & that's even if the first 3 points "wear out" the next week.
Posted By: bert1 Re: Spy cameras will be in force in Liverpool - 15th Sep 2009 3:45am
Originally Posted by Sanchez
lol, stupid wireless keyboard, i shall only shall that once btw wink

You should have picked me up on Allo Allo, i gave you a chance, listen very carefully.
Posted By: little_pob Re: Spy cameras will be in force in Liverpool - 15th Sep 2009 7:57am
Originally Posted by Sanchez
... can you drive motor cycles through the bis lanes or is it just cycle bikes?
AFAIK it's just pedal/push bikes, it should (must?) say on the signage though.
Posted By: Wheels Re: Spy cameras will be in force in Liverpool - 15th Sep 2009 8:44am
I've been using the James st one as I work there now and then also for acess to dale st were I work too. It's an extra 10mins on my jorney if I don't frown
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Spy cameras will be in force in Liverpool - 17th Sep 2009 11:20am

New bus lane cameras catch 1,680 Liverpool drivers

SPY cameras to catch motorists abusing bus-only lanes in Liverpool city centre have caught more than 1,680 in their first three days in operation.

Council chiefs have been amazed by the numbers of people caught breaking the rules since the cameras were activated on Monday.

But those caught will escape the £60 fine as the council is issuing “dummy tickets” for the first few weeks on the new scheme.

Drivers using the bus lanes in Lime Street, Old Haymarket/St John’s Lane, and the right turn into James Street from The Strand face the fine.

The penalty is reduced to £30 for early payers.

Parking manager Roy Tunstall said: “I nearly fell off my chair when I saw the number of people abusing the bus lanes.

“It is an amazingly large number of people, I have to admit I am quite alarmed by it.

“We knew there was excessive abuse, but not like this.

“We are hoping that in time the number starts to fall, but realistically there will always be motorists who flout the rules.”

Surveys show in the three initial sites identified, up to 77% of motorists abuse the bus lane.

Officials anticipate around 10,000 tickets will be issued each year.

Taxis – both hackney cabs and private hire vehicles – can use the bus lanes.

The cameras are linked to a control room and recordings will be checked before a penalty notice is issued to bus lane hogs.
There will also be checks to ensure there are no mitigating circumstances, such as broken down vehicles.

Last year, the council said the cost of the scheme, including improved lane signage and camera installation, was £235,000, with the running costs estimated at £210,000 a year.

Mr Tunstall said: “We have got to support the use of public transport, and the way the council can do that most effectively is by cutting journey times. To do that we have to give buses priority on certain routes, we need to have bus lanes with proper enforcement.

“Talking as a motorist I know how irritating it can be when you are complying by the rules and see others breaking them.

“People have been used to a free run, so we are expecting to be catching a lot of people in the beginning with it starting to level off.”

He said the council had spent more than £100,000 on publicity and highly visible signs to make sure people did not have the excuse of saying they did not know about the enforcement.

The local authority has also invested in new computer software.

THE ECHO
© Wirral-Wikiwirral