Forums
Posted By: Anonymous New Birkenhead union launched for jobless people - 26th Aug 2009 2:52pm
New Birkenhead union launched for jobless people

A UNION for the unemployed will be launched in Birkenhead tomorrow.

Jobless figures across Merseyside are currently running around 2% above the national average.

Campaigners said it was time an organisation was created to provide representation.

Alec McFadden, company secretary of the Wirral Centre and president of Merseyside TUC, said: “The effects of the recession are now starting to have a detrimental effect on people, families and communities.”

The National Unemployed Workers’ Movement (NUWM) was originally established in 1921, to draw attention to the increasing numbers of jobless following the First World War.

The meeting, open to all unemployed people, takes place from 2pm at Wirral Centre, 4 St Anne Street, Birkenhead

THE ECHO
Union - a funny word to use. Who is funding it?
Posted By: Anonymous Re: New Birkenhead union launched for jobless people - 26th Aug 2009 3:34pm
not to sure hun, will see if i can find anythink. wink
Posted By: Anonymous Re: New Birkenhead union launched for jobless people - 26th Aug 2009 3:45pm
FOUND THIS
wow cool find mate
National Unemployed Workers’ Movement - surely that is an oxymoron think I can see why employed people need a Union but why would someone who is unemployed need one?? Or am I just being blonde doh
Just smart!
Ever been to the social (etc) and been given incorrect information.
Ever been discriminated against when applying for a job.

They are a couple of situations where an unemployed person needs a protective representational body.
Yes! but not the same rep that more than likely put you there. The toothless buldogs of the TUC etc. who were nowhere to be seen when the miners got theirs. Alec Macfadden was in the paper last week because he made a play area on his garage roof for his kids without planning permission.going by the backdrop of his house there"s money to be made out of said same unfortunates.The unions are loosing members to the ranks of the unemployed. It is all about control and cash.
Originally Posted by diggingdeeper
Ever been to the social (etc) and been given incorrect information.
Ever been discriminated against when applying for a job.

They are a couple of situations where an unemployed person needs a protective representational body.

I thought that was what the CAB and Ombudsman etc was for (amongst other things) think
Unions are for preventing problems, CAB are to help put them right and who has ever seen an Ombudsman, they are invisible.
What unions have you been in?Ive been on strike for months only to go back on less than we came out for.Ive been a convenor shop steward and safety officer so I think I know were I"m coming from they are shite run by shite for the bennefit of shite. if ever the british working class get off it"s arse the unions and their lackeis should be the first to go
[quote= if ever the british working class get off it"s arse the unions and their lackeis should be the first to go [/quote]

That's a great idea, then we could return to the 100 hour week with little pay, no sick leave, no paid holidays, no health care, no health and safety, no protection from capitalist bosses and regimes who treated people no better than dog crap, yes lets return to that.
My experience of the CAB is a man with a pc with reference docs on it. He couldn't help me though because he was barely computer literate and the info he did have was so basic I had already researched much deeper by myself on the internet.

Can't
Assist
Buggerall!
hi bert1 Now I know you have a great sence of humour! You have just described what "ENGLAND" is like today.The British working class have got where they are today despite the unions not because of them. Goverments honour union leaders for one reason only and it is not what they have done on our behalf. I tried to fight from the inside and had to leave or betray myself, I say England and Britain because a fundamental rule is devide and rule.Well under way
Posted By: bert1 Re: New Birkenhead union launched for jobless people - 27th Aug 2009 10:05am
I would hope i have got a sense of humour and i also have had to fight at times from within and i also believe that trade unions have lost there way some what. However i firmly believe that the working people of this country would be a lot worse off if unions never existed or were never formed in the first place. I don't have to remind you of the working conditions and practices people of this country found themselves in prior to unions being formed and they never changed because of the goodness of bosses and governments hearts. The only way it was changed is by working people sticking together and fighting for that change.
I am glad to pay my £6 odd each month because UNISON have been very helpful. They showed my managers that they couldn't just walkk all over me and try to fob me off with false information. I had to go to them again yesterday because of the stuff work are trying to bring in. They could be seeing themselves accused of bullying if they are not careful.
Originally Posted by bert1
[quote= if ever the british working class get off it"s arse the unions and their lackeis should be the first to go

That's a great idea, then we could return to the 100 hour week with little pay, no sick leave, no paid holidays, no health care, no health and safety, no protection from capitalist bosses and regimes who treated people no better than dog crap, yes lets return to that. [/quote]
withthat

bert1 We are of the same school.I agree with you.This could be a great country, if we pull together for the good of all.Snooze I used to take my minutes to Jhon Prescot when he was a union rep for the seamans union in Bridge street.Money well spent I don"t think, Who do you think he was looking after?Take out an endownment policy you will get a better return.Don"t live in the past and never forget the past, is my motto.
Yes Vanquished and let's send kids up chimneys and down mines while we're at it! raftl

I agree that union bosses don't come out looking that good. Same for local councillors...
Posted By: Wench Re: New Birkenhead union launched for jobless people - 27th Aug 2009 12:02pm
Originally Posted by Vanquished
Originally Posted by bert1
[quote= if ever the british working class get off it"s arse the unions and their lackeis should be the first to go

That's a great idea, then we could return to the 100 hour week with little pay, no sick leave, no paid holidays, no health care, no health and safety, no protection from capitalist bosses and regimes who treated people no better than dog crap, yes lets return to that.

That wouldn't happen - the Laws are now in place and so is the NHS (although it's in a bit of a bad way, and will probably get worse now they are possibly tendering out care). The existence of Unions also don't stop workers being treated like crap unfortunately. Some bosses are just k nobrots.
Posted By: bert1 Re: New Birkenhead union launched for jobless people - 27th Aug 2009 12:08pm
Laws can be changed, and if they thought for one minute they could get away with it, they would change them.
Posted By: Wench Re: New Birkenhead union launched for jobless people - 27th Aug 2009 12:20pm
They can indeed, but it's not the Unions that can change the Laws - that's the Governments "job".
Posted By: bert1 Re: New Birkenhead union launched for jobless people - 27th Aug 2009 12:25pm
Originally Posted by Wench
They can indeed, but it's not the Unions that can change the Laws - that's the Governments "job".

Yes and certain governments would and do change laws to the detriment of working people ( trade union affiliated ) because and only because they are (TUA).
I've lived in both worlds, no unions and with unions. 31 years in the Forces where just discipline and fair play sorted things out. I could live with that because we were all in the same boat, harsh sometimes but what the heck. 7 years in the middle in civvie street and working with shop stewards who buttered their own bread. You had to assume that it worked its way up the ladder in the same way and it did because the union men got the advancement whilst the plebs got rock all.
Out of the forces and into the unions again and it was still no different after 23 years away from it. My flesh used to crawl at the antics at union meetings but they were a necessary evil, just in case, (legal back up etc.) so I just paid up and shut up. The theory is great but the application is found wanting. Once the unions got so big they just turned into bosses, back to square 1 execept that you had to watch your back as well as your front.
Bert, spot on mate. People have very short memories and think employee abuse is a thing of the past.

I have seen substances being used in total disregard of h&s coshh etc.

I have seen people working unpaid.

I have seen workers get a b*ll*k*ng when it has been their managers fault.

I have seen people get deductions from pay illegally.

I have seen companies employ people in a dicrimnatory manner.

I have seen employees getting assaulted.

I have seen employees getting abused and/or bullied.

I have seen people go without pay rises year after year.

I have seen people that have been sacked unfairly.

I have seen employees having to use the incorrect equipment.

I have seen employees having to use unsafe/broken equipment.

I bet nearly everybody has seen some of those things go on, now why do we need unions, mmmm, let me think think
none of that surprises me knowing your profession DD raftl
employee abuse is not a thing of the past which proves the point after decades on unionism it"s bloody worse.I bet the six guys who got their cards last night at Corus won"t be hot footing it down to join the unemployed union.
I don't know the details of the men losing their jobs a Corus but i assume they would have received notice or payed notice, any holiday pay owing and if entitled, redundancy money. They will also be entitled to benefits of some description. None of these were available prior to unions being formed. So a worthwhile step in the right direction there.
The words "necessary evil" comes to mind.
What exactly happens at a union meet for the jobless?
Ive met that alec- nice fella, good heart-he helped us with a 'problem' last year. We call him 'the xmas elf' but tell you what he cant half gab!!!
He knows his local history-esp. Wallasey from wot i recall.
Originally Posted by RUDEBOX
What exactly happens at a union meet for the jobless?

I've never been to or been a member of a unemployed persons union, i would imagine they help with social, benefit and entitlement issue's and things like that. Probably deal and discuss things that job centers somehow fail to mention.
Hmmm...if their demands aren't met do all the unemployed go on strike ?
© Wirral-Wikiwirral