Forums
Posted By: Anonymous Burst Water Main Causing Traffic Chaos in Prenton - 31st Jul 2009 10:56am

Burst water main causing traffic chaos in Prenton

POLICE are advising Wirral motorists of road closures just off the M53 at junction 3.

The entrance to the North Cheshire Trading Estate from the motorway roundabout is completely closed due to a burst water main.

Durley Drive is closed at the junction with Woodchurch Road. Residents' access is limited.

No access is available to the trading estate for employees.

Employees are advised to contact their employers by telephone.

At this stage, it is unlikely that the road will reopen today.

One of the businesses affected is the Royal Mail depot.

A United Utilities spokeswoman told the Globe: "We had a call about about a burst water main at about 6am. Our engineers had to shut off the water to stop the leak.

"There's a repair team on standby waiting until the water subsides before it can go in to repair the problem.

"We apologise to people in the area for the inconvenience caused by the water main burst.

"The supply to homes is not affected. We are looking at getting a supply vehicle with an emergency water supply to those businesses affected."

THE GLOBE
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Burst Water Main Causing Traffic Chaos in Prenton - 31st Jul 2009 11:16am
The Alwen pipeline goes under the entrance to Durley Drive and it's BIG ! Wouldn't mind betting that's the one that's gone pop, looking at the amount of water. Major feeder to Birkenhead.

When the tide had gone out, can someone try and get a fix or even a photo of the location of the hole. Wouldn't be surprised if United Utilities won't allow you to. A bit touchy about major pipelines these days.

However, maybe Mrs Baggins at No.12 left her cold tap running overnight !
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Burst Water Main Causing Traffic Chaos in Prenton - 31st Jul 2009 11:19am
dd: Can you assist here ? A precise, technical, quality job needed. You're the man. There's a pint in it for you. Well, er. actually, erm, several million gallons actually !! ha.ha.
Cheers.
i just got a text from total fittness sayin dont bother coming, I thought to my self does this mean I am at maximum fitness.......but then i read the real reason. DAM.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Burst Water Main Causing Traffic Chaos in Prenton - 31st Jul 2009 11:41am
... and there's you thinking you can have an extra Grizzle burger with double chips for lunch eh ??
yer, i was looking forward to it too lol.
Originally Posted by Sanchez
i just got a text from total fittness sayin dont bother coming, I thought to my self does this mean I am at maximum fitness.......but then i read the real reason. DAM.
raftl raftl raftl
Originally Posted by Sanchez

FAIL! lol
content removed at posters request.
If anyone has any other photo's of today can they PM me? Especially any of the UU vehicles driving through the water...
After it was all gone:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Floor was still very damp and sandy. The Thai warehouse up the road was flooded and they were cleaning it out. oshocked
wow jim barrows motor factors was closed all morning due to this pipe

I could not get my PARTS lol
A bit after Wetsocks got there, starting to fill in, you can see how the water couldn't get more than about a foot deep because it would just overflow into the brook.

Attached picture Prenton-Durley-Drive-IMG_2287-s.jpg
Attached picture Prenton-Durley-Drive-IMG_2288-s.jpg
Attached picture Prenton-Durley-Drive-IMG_2289-s.jpg
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Burst Water Main Causing Traffic Chaos in Prenton - 31st Jul 2009 7:17pm
When did the Alwen become disused ? So what feeds Flaybrick (via the tunnel) then ?
You can see why that water main burst. The ground arround it had been disturbed when the new gas main was laid. Thats the gas pipe {the yellow pipe the ganger is sitting on.
Originally Posted by diggingdeeper
A bit after Wetsocks got there, starting to fill in, you can see how the water couldn't get more than about a foot deep because it would just overflow into the brook.

This is a little after I got there:

[Linked Image]

I wouldn't say that the burst was caused by the gas main, it's just one of those things that just happens with PVC pipe from time to time.

The water was considerably deeper than a foot in the dip towards the T-Fit entrance, when I arrived it was up to about 3' at it's deepest. I wasn't far off the sills of the Hilux when I checked the way for the tanker even after the water was turned off.

Here's the second one.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Burst Water Main Causing Traffic Chaos in Prenton - 31st Jul 2009 11:38pm
great photos camera thanks guys. thumbsup
© Wirral-Wikiwirral