Forums
Posted By: Anonymous Crackdown on Littering Motorists - 22nd Jul 2009 12:18pm

Wirral Council launches crackdown on littering motorists.

Wirral Council has joined forces with Keep Britain Tidy to clampdown on littering motorists.

The council is supporting a national campaign to tackle drivers chucking rubbish from their vehicles.

The Highways Agency estimates that 700,000 bags of rubbish are collected from motorways and trunk roads every year.

Nearly a quarter of people (23%) admit to dropping litter from their vehicle, according to latest Keep Britain Tidy research.

A month-long campaign will see posters going up in and around Wirral which remind motorists of their responsibilities.

Director of technical services David Green said, “It's really important that residents and visitors realise that throwing rubbish on the streets is not acceptable.

"Cleaning up after the minority who drop litter costs the council around £4m per year; people should use the bins provided or take rubbish home with them.

"Any item dropped on the streets whether a crisp packet, cigarette or apple core is all litter and is punishable by a fixed penalty fine of £75.”

Phil Barton, Keep Britain Tidy chief executive, said: “Dropping litter from a car is disgusting and makes our roadsides look like a dumping ground.

"We want to encourage motorists and their passengers to take their litter home rather than hurling it on our roads.”

THE GLOBE
Posted By: DavidB Re: Crackdown on Littering Motorists - 22nd Jul 2009 12:39pm
Originally Posted by _jase_
"Cleaning up after the minority who drop litter costs the council around £4m per year"

Cool. So when are they going to start cleaning up then?
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Crackdown on Littering Motorists - 22nd Jul 2009 1:06pm
Comparing our area to many other areas of the country I think the council are cleaning quite well these days.

Watching a taxi driver throwing his McDonalds out of his window the other day, what a slob, couldn't even be bothered opening his window properly and was parked up forcing it through the gap at the top of the window - its at times like that you wish you had some dog poo and a catapult - here! have some cr*p back.
Posted By: peodude Re: Crackdown on Littering Motorists - 22nd Jul 2009 1:20pm
Fair enough for 'proper' litter, like McDonald's rubbish. But what's the harm in an apple core, a dodgy crisp or chip being chucked out?
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Crackdown on Littering Motorists - 22nd Jul 2009 1:51pm
If you ever do the Mersey Tunnel tour this will answer that, basically the Birkenhead Tunnel doesn't allow lorries any longer, the Wallasey does.

Underneath the Birkenhead Tunnel there are No rats, under the Wallasey Tunnel there ARE rats.

The difference? .... the foodstuff that falls off the lorries.

Whilst there is no real harm in throwing foodstuff into hedgerows etc, in town they encourage vermin. We do already have rats, but that is no excuse to encourage and feed more rats.

Apart from which is the visual mess, I don't expect many people throw crisps and apple cores on the floors of their houses, why do it in public???
Posted By: Sanchez Re: Crackdown on Littering Motorists - 22nd Jul 2009 2:50pm
i dont agree with rubbish, but ciggi stumps.....come on???
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Crackdown on Littering Motorists - 22nd Jul 2009 4:02pm
Originally Posted by Sanchez
I think solitary stumps look a mess, but in large numbers carefully arranged in geometric patterns they are an art form that should not be penalised, it is sad that the majority of smokers participate in this essential creative practice and yet are still discriminated against.

USE A BIN!
Posted By: Ozzy666 Re: Crackdown on Littering Motorists - 22nd Jul 2009 4:10pm
Originally Posted by diggingdeeper
Originally Posted by Sanchez
I think solitary stumps look a mess, but in large numbers carefully arranged in geometric patterns they are an art form that should not be penalised, it is sad that the majority of smokers participate in this essential creative practice and yet are still discriminated against.

USE A BIN!
I think solitary stumps look a mess, but in large numbers carefully arranged in geometric patterns they are an art form that should not be penalised[quote][/quote]

LOL laugh
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Crackdown on Littering Motorists - 22nd Jul 2009 4:19pm
Blatent dumping of an overflowing ashtray does my nut in. If you got several days worth of fag ends in your car i dont see the 'urgent' need to dißpatch them in a lay by- just take them home!?
Posted By: DavidB Re: Crackdown on Littering Motorists - 22nd Jul 2009 4:49pm
I think it's my #1 pet hate seeing this - any type of litter droppage. I watched a father and his young son walk along my road. The father drops his empty packet on the floor. 5 seconds later his son drops his. Do these people not realise it's part of an effect building up, it only takes a gust of wind for it all to collect and just generate in a corner somewhere? Go down to The Rock any night, and you'll see those rancid McDonalds bags dumped on the floor a couple of metres from an empty bin.

Throwing ANYTHING on the floor displays your blatant neglect and disrespect for your environment.
Posted By: IanPenny Re: Crackdown on Littering Motorists - 23rd Jul 2009 7:53am
Maybe they could use the CCTV smart car for it
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Crackdown on Littering Motorists - 23rd Jul 2009 1:33pm
Looking at the photo's of Hong Kong on Pomps digital camera the other night, I was amazed by how clean and tidy the streets are, even in the middle of a massively busy metrolpolitan area.

On all the different area's there was zero litter.

People in this country have no respect for themselves or others, and its going to take a generation to even begin to change this attitude.

Where did it all go wrong, 100 years ago people were proud of Britain and the country, now we all hide our heads in shame and let the criminals rule.
Posted By: DavidB Re: Crackdown on Littering Motorists - 23rd Jul 2009 5:40pm
I agree, I've met people coming over and one thing they've all said is how dirty it is.
Posted By: Softy_Southerner Re: Crackdown on Littering Motorists - 23rd Jul 2009 5:42pm
I belive that in Hong Kong it is illegal to have chewing gum - that is their answer to all the dirty slobs who chuck it on the floor for some one else to clear up.
Posted By: topofthepops Re: Crackdown on Littering Motorists - 23rd Jul 2009 7:36pm
The chewing gum on the pavement is really embarrasing - my grandkids didn't believe me when I was explaining what all the spot marks were outiside of a local newsagents - why is there always tons of it outside these shops??

I get so wound up when I seen anyone dropping litter etc - Once when I was at the traffic lights on Lloyd's corner, corner of Poulton Rd and Mainwaring Rd, and a female age about late 20's was crossing the road with a BIG pizza box in her hand, filling her mouth as she crossed the road. She then closed the pizza box and balanced it on some type of box (cable or electic?) outside the Float Club and walked on!

If I hadn't of been having to concentrate on driving, I would have tackled her - although she was much bigger than me!

I hope she reads this and realises her greedy gob took over her manners!

My whinge for today! somad
© Wirral-Wikiwirral