Forums
Posted By: Anonymous Council Spy Car Patrolling Wirral - 19th Jun 2009 11:14am

EXCLUSIVE: The council spy car patrolling Wirral, photographing and fining motorists

A SURVEILLANCE car paid for with council tax is patrolling Wirral taking surreptitious photographs of errant motorists who then receive fines through the post.

But Wirral West MP Stephen Hesford and local councillors have questioned Wirral Council's motives.
The white Smart car - marked out in Wirral Council livery - is fitted with a 'periscope' camera on its roof.

The council says it is primarily to catch out "disruptive or dangerous" drivers - like those who park on zig zag road markings outside schools.

But on Wednesday afternoon a Globe reader spotted it parked in The Crescent, West Kirby - a road the council had been planning to pedestrianise earlier this year - apparently monitoring motorists stopping to use an ATM at a bank opposite on Banks Road.

Its camera was level with the private accomodation above The Crescent's shops. "I was horrified," said the reader, who has asked not to be named but who emailed us his photographs of the car.

"It can park normally and then raise its periscope camera to spy on vehicles while hidden in a row of parked cars.

"You then receive a parking ticket without knowing an offence has been committed. That's sneaky.

"I would also be very concerned about misuse and abuse of this periscope camera by the drivers and of course the cost of such a unit."

He added: "The choice of a Smart car was obviously deliberate, it's size enabling it to hide effectively in a row of parked cars to carry out it's dastardly business.

"I find it petty and vindictive which I guess sums up this awful council.

"Seeing it in the flesh brought home the Orwellian nature of its intrusiveness. I had shivers down the spine."

Wirral West MP Mr Hesford said: "I just wonder whether the council has its priorities right.

"At a time when it wishes to decimate library services it is spending thousands of pounds in snooping on my constituents and disrupting the ordinary commercial life of places like West Kirby.

"I think that the council should re-examine its spending priorities."

The car was seen driving through New Brighton on Thursday afternoon by Globe photographer David Gennard, who followed it as it drove past St Mary's College in Wallasey Village, up Grove Road and onto Warren Drive into New Brighton.

The resort's Conservative Cllr Sue Taylor said: "How dare they waste this money?

"There are more than enough parking enforcement officers on the streets as it is.

"The police also operate large and small CCTV vans so this is just blatantly duplicating services we are already paying for.

"Who's agreed it and how much? Surveillance doesn't come cheap."

Tory Cllr Leah Fraser, who until recently chaired the corporate services committee that investigated Wirral Council's use of the government's controversial RIPA laws - which allow council employees to use anti-terror legislation to snoop on residents for incidents like fly-tipping and anti-social behaviour - was also angry.

"This is yet another example of Wirral Council’s confused priorities," she said.

"A mobile CCTV camera, which was bought to improve road safety around schools, is instead being used to boost the council’s income from parking fines.

"This is the same council that had to switch off the CCTV cameras in crime hotspots due to cash problems.

"Big Brother is alive and well in Wallasey Town Hall, whether it is secret snooping using anti-terrorist laws or a video camera on a twenty foot pole going past your bedroom window."

She added: "Where are these pictures stored? How long are they kept for?

"The public needs to know how long this information is stored and who's got access to it."

A council spokeswoman said: "The vehicle has been on the road since April.

"It has been supplied and is operated by NSL (formerly NCP) as part of their parking enforcement contract with Wirral Council.

"There is no additional cost to the council for the vehicle’s deployment.

"Authorisation for the use of this CCTV vehicle in Wirral came from cabinet, and it is primarily used to tackle disruptive or dangerous parking, for example outside schools, although it may be used to deal with problem parking anywhere across the borough."

THE GLOBE
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Council Spy Car Patrolling Wirral - 19th Jun 2009 12:19pm
I agree with them starting to take action against what some see as petty crime. At one time you would be pulled over for a bulb out, it was a constant reminder to behave yourself, these days no action is taken until someone does a Freddy Kruger.

All crime should be addressed, not ignored, it leads onto bigger crime if it is ignored.

I can't believe the number of parents who park on yellow lines and zig-zags outside schools - they should be done for contemplated manslaughter (if there was such a thing!). I fully support action taken against them, and against the pervs who regularly oggle/chat to schoolkids.

Have you ever sat outside a school and watch what goes on - public service vehicle parked on zig-zags wolf-whistling at schoolkids!!! Sadly some kids take this as a compliment - think they must look grown up - OMG

Guess they can use this vehicle for other offences as well, like criminals that openely take the lifebelts despite people watching them.

Criminals that smash bus shelters, despite people watching.

Its time the word criminal is used more instead of going down the newspaper routes of complaining about enforement of the law.

The only thing I disagree about this car is that you are not informed at the time, there should be a huge flash and a siren blasted straight in your face - YOU'VE BEEN DONE - CRIMINAL!

Oh dear .... I must have watched some television last night, this is why I normally don't, back into nice cosy little nuclear bunker while I scream.
Posted By: Wench Re: Council Spy Car Patrolling Wirral - 19th Jun 2009 12:21pm
Good God man, are you ill raftl What have you done with the real DD? Give him back!!
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Council Spy Car Patrolling Wirral - 19th Jun 2009 12:24pm
See last para
Posted By: Wench Re: Council Spy Car Patrolling Wirral - 19th Jun 2009 12:27pm
I should bloody well think so raftl
Posted By: MissGuided Re: Council Spy Car Patrolling Wirral - 19th Jun 2009 12:29pm
They should write Google on the side - then people would smile and wave at them - instead of shaking their fist raftl
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Council Spy Car Patrolling Wirral - 19th Jun 2009 12:47pm
If ya doing nothing wrong, you have nothing to fear, might stop some of the cocks who think they are above everyone and have the right to park illegally just so they dont have to walk a couple of extra yards!!
Posted By: Beaty59 Re: Council Spy Car Patrolling Wirral - 19th Jun 2009 1:03pm
Have always said this to anyone who says CCTV is 'against my civil rights' 'is big brother state' etc. If you are not doining anything wrong you have nothing to worry about.
I believe everyone should be chipped at birth, bit like dogs and cats are by RSPCA, and all your info kept on that, so if you are found injured, have an acident, arrested etc authorities can scan and have your info, name, address, blood type etc. Also kids go missing you can locate them straight away, would cut down on abductions as they would be traced straight away and you would know who they were with off their tag.
I know its radical, but anyone who is a law abiding citizen would have nothing to worry about
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Council Spy Car Patrolling Wirral - 19th Jun 2009 1:57pm
Seems like someone has left a shoebox outside Waterfields.
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Council Spy Car Patrolling Wirral - 20th Jun 2009 2:54am
Originally Posted by Beaty59
Have always said this to anyone who says CCTV is 'against my civil rights' 'is big brother state' etc. If you are not doining anything wrong you have nothing to worry about.
I believe everyone should be chipped at birth, bit like dogs and cats are by RSPCA, and all your info kept on that, so if you are found injured, have an acident, arrested etc authorities can scan and have your info, name, address, blood type etc. Also kids go missing you can locate them straight away, would cut down on abductions as they would be traced straight away and you would know who they were with off their tag.
I know its radical, but anyone who is a law abiding citizen would have nothing to worry about

Amen that man!!
Posted By: DavidB Re: Council Spy Car Patrolling Wirral - 20th Jun 2009 5:48pm

Are you for real?
How about bar code on the back of the neck? Names taken away and given a number? Camera located in every room in every household? Mandatory head shaving?

CHIPPED AT BIRTH?!?!?!
Posted By: DavidB Re: Council Spy Car Patrolling Wirral - 20th Jun 2009 5:53pm
I know its radical

Jesus, I'm gobsmacked.
Posted By: MissGuided Re: Council Spy Car Patrolling Wirral - 20th Jun 2009 7:11pm
Originally Posted by Station

Are you for real?
How about bar code on the back of the neck? Names taken away and given a number? Camera located in every room in every household? Mandatory head shaving?

CHIPPED AT BIRTH?!?!?!

You can't give chips to a baby no
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Council Spy Car Patrolling Wirral - 30th Jun 2009 12:27pm
Wirral Council transport chief defends 'spy car' tactics

WIRRAL council's transport chief has hit back at criticism in the Globe of the authority's so-called spy car.

Last week, we published picturs of the white Smart car using its 11ft periscope to to sneak pictures of shoppers parking in West Kirby to use a cash point.

Stephen Hesford, MP for Wirral West, said the council ought to have beter things to do than "snooping on my constituents and disrupting the ordinary commercial life of places like West Kirby."

He said the council should re-examine its spending priorities.

And Tory councillor Leah Fraser said: "Big Brother is alive and well in Wallasey Town Hall, whether it is secret snooping using anti-terrorist laws or a video camera on a 20ft pole going past your bedroom window."

Wirral’s cabinet member for Streetscene and transport services emailed the paper this morning to say: "Wirral tax payers do not pay for the Smart CCTV car.

"The car is used to target drivers parking illegally causing hazards to road users and pedestrians.

"If we were to have a ‘spy car’ it would not have a council logo and camera logo on the sides of the vehicle and it would not have an 11ft mounted camera on a telescopic arm."

And she added: "The drivers are trained and experienced professionals who use the car for parking enforcement; only people parking illegally have anything to fear."

THE GLOBE

What do YOU think?

Posted By: Anonymous Re: Council Spy Car Patrolling Wirral - 6th Jul 2009 4:08pm
this was parked outside liscard primary school at 3:15pm today. spying on mums and dads picking there kids up.
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Council Spy Car Patrolling Wirral - 6th Jul 2009 4:10pm
Best place to get the fookers imho, parents seem to think they have a god-given right to park illegally and dangerously when picking their kids up.

It's about time they all got fined maybe they will learn to use their legs and walk an extra 100 yards or summit then!!
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Council Spy Car Patrolling Wirral - 6th Jul 2009 6:54pm
Originally Posted by _jase_
this was parked outside liscard primary school at 3:15pm today. spying on mums and dads picking there kids up. no
About time too - most dangerous place and yet the most stupid parking.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Council Spy Car Patrolling Wirral - 8th Jul 2009 11:23am
IT'S ONE RULE FOR US, ANOTHER FOR THEM

THE COUNCIL’S controversial ‘spy car’ is caught by an incensed Globe reader parked on the pavement in Wallasey - immediately next to a sign warning ‘no vehicles’.

The Smart car - decked out in Wirral Council livery, but operated under contract by NSL, the former NCP firm - is equipped with an 11ft periscope camera.

It is supposed to be used “primarily” to stop - or catch - drivers parking on zig zag lines outside schools.

But the reader who sent us this picture said: “This is no spy car - it’s a money spinning machine that is blatantly flouting the law.

“It’s breaking the law to enforce its own so-called law enforcement. We are now in a world where the people who are sent to ‘protect’ us are being dishonest them-selves.”

Liscard Conservative Cllr Leah Fraser said: “It’s one rule them them and another for us.

"If anyone else had parked on the pavement in a pedestrianised area there would have been a fixed penalty notice.

"The mass of laws and regulations that we all now have to cope with don’t seem to apply to Wirral Council.

“I have also asked the council to tell us where the images taken by this vehicle are being stored and who has access to them.

"Many of the images will include children and all the images should be subject to data protection laws. "In the meantime, perhaps someone would like to have a word with the driver of the vehicle and explain what double yellow lines are for."

The council’s director of technical services David Green said: “There is a significant issue with motorists parking on double yellow lines.

“In order for the camera car to carry out enforcement activity safely, it is sometimes necessary for the car to have special dispensation to park in some areas when carrying out enforcement.”

THE GLOBE
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Council Spy Car Patrolling Wirral - 8th Jul 2009 11:33am
So how else are they supposed to catch/deter the gits who want to park on double-yellows and therefore cause disruption and danger to other road users?

Do you want them to park on the double-yellow's themselves?

Seems to be a few same people reguarly moaning about about this, obviously them few people are regular law-breakers and worried about one day being caught parking on double-yellows.

That stretch of highway in particular is a menace at the best of times, when pricks park on the double-yellows they make it downright dangerous.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Council Spy Car Patrolling Wirral - 8th Jul 2009 12:13pm
am lost sleep whos moaning confused

your the only one that has somethink to say about it doh
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Council Spy Car Patrolling Wirral - 8th Jul 2009 12:15pm
These news reports arnt "moaning" about the camera's?

What are they doing then? Don't tell me, "standing up for the rights of commonfolk" - yeah right, they are moaning. So far 3 news reports have been posted in this thread alone, and everyone has been targetted at "moaning" about the camera's, NOT ONE SINGLE WORD OF PRAISE FOR THE JOB THEY ARE THERE TO DO. But I bet everyone gets grrrr and curses when there is a car parked on double yellows causing an obstruction and stopping the general flow of traffic. They can't do right for doing wrong.

The reporters obviously drive BMW's and think they have a god-given right to park where the fook they want, without question.

And your "dig" at them "spying on mums and dads picking their kids up" as you so elequantly put it, is moaning in my book, they are not spying on the mums and dads, or the kids, they are spying on the cars that are parked illegally - if you have any proof they are spying on mums and dads and kids, id be interested to see it.

Lets take all surveilance away folks, and let the criminals run free!

I think the City Of London police force has the right idea, but the morons in this country like to moan about their "privacy" being invaded, and then have the audacity to moan when crimes are committed, especially when they go unsolved.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Council Spy Car Patrolling Wirral - 8th Jul 2009 12:58pm
lmfao!!! raftl matt get of your high houres. no am all for this car 100%. after the shit i have had in my road with parking.but in the back of my mined i do think its a Waste of money they could use the money to keep the kids of the steet or somethink like that

Posted By: Anonymous Re: Council Spy Car Patrolling Wirral - 8th Jul 2009 2:00pm
I wish they had a few similar vehicles for the towns and villages around here. The arrogant, lazy, inconsiderate brain-dead individuals who park on the double yellow and can't be ars*d to walk more than 3 feet from their car. "Oh, I'll only be a minute - just buying some more lard to put on the cat's boil".

Also the cloth-eared Mummys in their spotless 4x4's right on the school entrance, collecting Tarquin and Jocasta to go to ballet lessons. Pass the vomit bag !!

Parking offence where it's a potential obstruction - instant 6 month ban plus £1000 fine for 1st offence. 2nd time - 5 year ban. Driving whilst thus banned - taken round the back for "re-education"
That MIGHT concentrate their minds a little and make them THINK !

Would clear a lot of dross off the roads a a stroke.

MORE camara cars required please !!

Posted By: MattLFC Re: Council Spy Car Patrolling Wirral - 8th Jul 2009 2:15pm
Originally Posted by Pinzgauer
I wish they had a few similar vehicles for the towns and villages around here. The arrogant, lazy, inconsiderate brain-dead individuals who park on the double yellow and can't be ars*d to walk more than 3 feet from their car. "Oh, I'll only be a minute - just buying some more lard to put on the cat's boil".

Also the cloth-eared Mummys in their spotless 4x4's right on the school entrance, collecting Tarquin and Jocasta to go to ballet lessons. Pass the vomit bag !!

Parking offence where it's a potential obstruction - instant 6 month ban plus £1000 fine for 1st offence. 2nd time - 5 year ban. Driving whilst thus banned - taken round the back for "re-education"
That MIGHT concentrate their minds a little and make them THINK !

Would clear a lot of dross off the roads a a stroke.

MORE camara cars required please !!

Here here thumbsup
Posted By: Vanquished Re: Council Spy Car Patrolling Wirral - 8th Jul 2009 5:47pm
I have never in my life parked on double yellows, disabled parking or anywhere illegal. thumbsup

I wish we had these cars in my town, I live around the corner from our council depot, 50yds up the road is a newsagent situated at the end of my road. Bin lorries and all the council vans park on the double yellows to pop into the newsagent. Lazy 'Ba***rds'! mad It's an absolute nightmare to pull out of my road onto the busy A6, we have children and it worries me to death that one day, there's going to be a big accident and may involve my family.

I have taken pictures, emailed to Northants council and still nothing is done. I have even got out my car and confronted a council driver, he soon moved it.

So yes I hate lazy above the law people who think they can do whatever they want and they should be fined with a bloody hefty fine too!Double yellow's and zig-zag's are there for a reason. These people ignore them reasons and don't give a f**k.

CCTV, identity cards and DNA for every single person who steps foot on 'OUR TURF'!. Bring all these things on. If your not planning on breaking the law, then you got nothing to hide.

OH! The CCTV car should nap people who still use mobile phones while driving. Still to much of that going on to! mad

Posted By: phalinmegob Re: Council Spy Car Patrolling Wirral - 8th Jul 2009 6:21pm
suppose you all love speed camera's as well,starting up a fan club soon.pretty much everyone you speak to agrees that speed cams are more for making money than for road safety,just hope that this smart car cam does not end up being used in the same way.i have been done for a parking offence and so what,i deserved it,i shouldnt of stopped where i did but i was lazy.i am not MOANING about it because it was my own fault.why dont they park it up at charing cross and film all the taxis parking in the middle of the road.i dont consider myself arrogant,inconsiderate or brain dead either,maybe a little lazy but come on lets have a poll....am i the only one that has stopped somewhere i shouldn't...I THINK NOT.
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Council Spy Car Patrolling Wirral - 8th Jul 2009 6:34pm
Do you have kids? what speed do you like the traffic going past your house - they go past mine at up to about 80 mph - should they get away with it - NO.

How many people have been taken in with the newspapers saying the cameras are there to make money - millions.

What is wrong with enforcing a safety law?

If you don't want to pay the fine - don't be a criminal - don't break the law - simple.

If you disagree with a speed limit and think it should be changed - get on to your council.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Council Spy Car Patrolling Wirral - 22nd Jul 2009 12:15pm
NEW BRIGHTON COUPLE'S VICTORY OVER SPY CAR FINE

A COUPLE are claiming victory over Wirral Council's controversial spy car after successfully overturning two parking fines and bringing the future of the vehicle into question.

An independent tribunal last week ruled that two tickets issued in Victoria Road, New Brighton, were wrong because there were no signs warning motorists they may be photographed.

The council told the Globe on Monday that it is now "reviewing" whether or not it has to place permanent or temporary signs wherever the spy car is in operation.

As the car can theoretically operate anywhere on Wirral, it potentially means the local authority could be forced to place - and pay for - warning signs right across the borough, or alternatively scrap the car altogether.

The surveillance vehicle - a Smart car fitted with a 11ft 'periscope' camera - is operated by the council's parking enforcement contractors NSL, formerly NCP.

Its primary use is to catch and fine errant motorists who park on zig zag lines outside schools, but it also being used to snap drivers who stop on double yellow lines near to cashpoint machines.

The New Brighton couple were issued with their tickets during one week in April.

They appealed to the council on the grounds they were unloading for their business - allowed under the rules - but the appeal was rejected.

They then took their case to the Traffic Penalty Tribunal who ruled in their favour during a 'virtual' hearing on Thursday - a telephone conference call involving themselves, a representative of the council, and an independent adjudicator.

The adjudicator said he was concerned about the lack of signs warning motorists that they could be photographed. He will be writing to the council.

It is known that other cars on Victoria Road were photographed at the same time but the owners of the other vehicles appear to have paid their fines.

The council is refusing to review those other cases as it regards the payment of a fine as an admission of liability.

But New Brighton ward Cllr Sue Taylor said: "It seems strange that the council say they won't re-open any past cases because the fines were paid and therefore admissions of liability were made.

"The whole point of this adjudication surely is that at least in this case the fine was issued wrongly.

"That means there's the possibility that many other fines issued by the spy car have also been issued incorrectly but that motorists have paid up in good faith."

She added: "The vehicle is deliberately being parked in areas like Victoria Road to trap unsuspecting motorists.

"Also, disabled badge holders are permitted to park on double yellow lines for up to three hours but the spy car is unable to differentiate between badged or unbadged vehicles, if photographed from the side or rear.

"I would have thought there would be signage in the area saying you're being watched?

"If the council are now reviewing signage then how are they going to do it and pay for it?

"Will they be wasting more of the council tax payer's money to erect signs in every street in which the spy car may operate?"

A council spokeswoman said: "Anyone who has received a parking ticket and thinks that they have a valid reason to appeal is able to do so through the appeals process detailed. Each case is reviewed on its own merits.

"Paying a fine is admission of liability of a parking contravention, and we have no plans to re-open any past cases that have been paid.

"The council stands by its original decision to issue the tickets to this individual, as there was no evidence of loading or unloading.

"Based on the adjudicator’s recommendations we are currently reviewing the signage."

Asked whether that meant the future of the spy car had been placed in doubt, the council said it would "consider the legalisation" in relation to the adjudicator's written judgement, which they will receive later this week.

* If you have had a parking fine appeal rejected by the council, you can ask for an independent judgement by visiting www.trafficpenaltytribunal.gov.uk

THE GLOBE
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Council Spy Car Patrolling Wirral - 22nd Jul 2009 12:58pm
This is a disgrace - you do smething illegal and evidence is collected against you and the case is chucked out.

This undermines the whole of British law and justice and sends out totally the wrong message. Do we really want to live in a lawless society.

I can understand that when the picture is taken, there should be reasonable efforts to inform the driver (eg ticket on windscreen) but to just disallow photographic evidence is a complete farce.

Someone's head should role over this decision.

Consider someone parks in front of your house all the time, you take pictures to prove it and the case is chucked out because you didn't put a sign up saying you are taking pictures WTF?????

There are no legal guidleines for putting up such a sign, how many should there be, how far away can they be, how big the print, what colour for the sign and print etc etc How can a legal decision be based on something that is not a legal requirement.

If you disagree with a yellow line = get it sorted.
If you park on it = pay the fine.

Posted By: BMW Joe Re: Council Spy Car Patrolling Wirral - 22nd Jul 2009 2:13pm
Originally Posted by diggingdeeper
If you disagree with a yellow line = get it sorted.
If you park on it = pay the fine.

withthat

Theres a single yellow outside my house that I disagree with, even though it's been there over 20 years and I've had 4 tickets this year, and all of them have been cancelled smile
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Council Spy Car Patrolling Wirral - 22nd Jul 2009 3:57pm
What did you get them cancelled on? Loading/unloading?
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: Council Spy Car Patrolling Wirral - 22nd Jul 2009 4:47pm
2 had the wrong street name

1 I contested and they took too long to get back to me

Another one, some lads ran off with it, emailed them straight away and told me one had not been issued.
Got a letter through a few days later, saying the fine had increased, emailed them again and they emailed me back saying sorry we made a mistake and cancelled it.

I'll keep parking in my road (the postcode where my car is insured) and keep contesting the tickets.

smile
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Council Spy Car Patrolling Wirral - 22nd Jul 2009 5:05pm
Have you thought about contesting the lines - many places they can't find the original reason that they were put there - they try everything to palm you off - I asked who proposed the lines should be there, they hadn't got a clue! - if there is no specific reason (which is usually safety!) then they should not be there!

The council cannot just put up yellow lines because they "want" them there.

It used to take an act of parliament to put yellow lines somewhere, but since the decriminalistion of parking in most areas, I think it is purely under council control IAW guidelines.
Posted By: Vanquished Re: Council Spy Car Patrolling Wirral - 22nd Jul 2009 6:00pm

It's ridiculous that the couple got off with the fine. So not only are they stupid enough to park on double yellows, but they can't see the 11 ft camera and white car with CCTV written all over it. raftl

Why should the council have to put signs up? Break the Law and you pay. Simple as that.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Council Spy Car Patrolling Wirral - 2nd Aug 2009 4:44pm
Paking fines could be appealed against

Thousands of paid parking tickets could now be subject to appeal after spy camera's were in operation without warning signs in Birkenhead.
[Linked Image]
The spy cars - which are Smart cars fitted with an 11ft 'periscope' camera - were in operation throughout Wirral without the aid of warning signs to the public.

A local couple took their case to the Traffic Penalty Tribunal after they saw their appeal for both tickets - issued in the same week in April - rejected.

A 'virtual' hearing then took place at a tribunal via a telephone conference call between the couple, a council representative and an independent adjudicator.

The tribunal ruled that the two tickets issued were wrong because of the lack of signs, warning motorists they might be photographed, and the adjudicator said he would be writing to the council after expressing his own concern over the issue.

At the same time as the couple's fines, other cars were photographed by the spy car. The council however, is refusing to review these cases because the payment of fines is seen as an admission of liability.

Cllr Sue Taylor said; "It seems strange that the council say they won't re-open past cases because the fines were paid and therefore admissions of liability were made.

"The whole point of the adjudication surely is that at least in this case the fine was issued wrongly. How many more are there? It means there's a possibility that many other fines issued by the spy car have also been issued incorrrectly but that the motorists have paid up in good faith."

Cllr Taylor also questioned where the money would come from, should the council decide to post warning signs;

"If the council are now reviewing the signage, then how are they going to do it and pay for it? Will they be wasting more of the council taxpayer's money to erect signs in every street in which spy cars may operate?"

A council spokeswoman said; "Anyone who has recieved a parking ticket and thinks that they have a valid reason to appeal is able to do so through the appeals process detailed.

"Paying a fine is admission of of liability of a parking contravention and we have plans to re-open any past cases that have been paid."

CLICK LIVERPOOL
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Council Spy Car Patrolling Wirral - 2nd Aug 2009 5:10pm
I don't get it, if you park in an area where it is ILLEGAL to do so, and been caught, what's the problem?

Does this mean I can rob a warehouse/bank, and if I get caught, and the police have not contacted me to let me know that they were on their way to the warehouse, the court case will be thrown out? (Mind you, under this government, it would'nt surprise me).

As much as these muppets want to protest, the lazy Grrrs have broken the law, and been caught. They should hold thier hands up, accept that they did wrong and got caught, and pay the fine.

Ive been caught on two occasions (albeit about 4 or 5 years ago) not displaying a time/time disc of arrival in Birkenhead, when it was free-timed parking. I was, on both occasions, issued with a fine. It was a valid mistake, but I was still in the wrong, I paid up within 14 days and happily saved myself £30, because I had broken the rules, inadvertently. 99% of these Grrrs however, don't park somewhere by accident, they do it on purpose, so they don't have to walk an extra 2 yards.

If you can't do the time, don't do the crime.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral