Forums
Posted By: Anonymous Mersey dad released by Nigerian pirates - 12th Jun 2009 8:40pm
Mersey dad Matthew Maguire released by Nigerian pirates

A MERSEY dad has been released by Nigerian pirates after months of capitivity.
[Linked Image]
Gunmen seized Matthew Maguire from a boat taking him to start work on an oil rig in Nigeria just hours after the 35-year-old left his Birkenhead home to take up a new job.

But this evening Matthew’s dad Bernie Maguire, 57, was called by Nigerian Navy officials to say his son was safe and well in their care.

Mr Maguire, who is currently in Perth Western Australia, said: "I’m over the moon. I was just going to bed at 1.30am here in Australia time when the phone went.

"They had been threatening to release him for a few days but then I got the call."

In Birkenhead Matthew’s partner Emma Dean said she was overjoyed.

Speaking from her family home with children Ellie, Charlie and two-year-old Matthew in the background she said: "It’s about time. I got the call about half an hour ago."

Mr Maguire planned to work in the country for just a few months earning cash for his young family but he was seized with 26 other workers when armed pirates surrounded a boat taking them to their oil rig.

THE ECHO
Excellent news
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Mersey dad released by Nigerian pirates - 13th Jun 2009 10:46pm
Ar am made up for everyone
© Wirral-Wikiwirral