Forums
Posted By: chriskay Vandalism at Hillsborough memorial - 7th Jun 2009 5:13pm
Vandalism at Hillsborough memorial

24 mins ago
Press Assoc.

Vandals who attacked a memorial to the Hillsborough disaster behaved "absolutely disgracefully", the mother of a teenager killed in the tragedy has said.

Police were called to the memorial garden in Port Sunlight, Merseyside, early on Sunday morning after reports of youths causing damage.

They arrived to find paving slabs lifted up and stone balustrades knocked down and smashed.

Margaret Aspinall, whose 18-year-old son James died in the 1989 disaster, said: "It's very upsetting for something like this to happen. That memorial's been there for about 18 years and it means a lot to people."

She added: "It was put there out of care and affection for the 96 that died.

"Whoever did it, they're absolutely disgraceful to destroy a thing like that and they ought to be ashamed of themselves."

Detective Inspector Andy O'Connor of Merseyside Police said: "This is completely unacceptable behaviour, and something that we will not tolerate. We have no idea what the motive is behind this incident, but we will do all that we can to find the individuals responsible.

"This is a despicable attack on a memorial, and the people who carried out this attack have shown complete disrespect for those who lost their lives and their families."

Liverpool fans who had travelled to Sheffield Wednesday's Hillsborough stadium for the FA Cup semi-final against Nottingham Forest on April 15, 1989, were crushed to death at the Leppings Lane end after the match kicked off.

The 20th anniversary of the tragedy was marked in April when about 30,000 people attended a memorial service at Liverpool's Anfield stadium.

SOURCE
Posted By: Sanchez Re: Vandalism at Hillsborough memorial - 7th Jun 2009 5:16pm
disgusting behavior, I done some bad shit when i was a kid, but always knew the difference between bad and really bad.
Posted By: Softy_Southerner Re: Vandalism at Hillsborough memorial - 7th Jun 2009 5:24pm
Name them and shame them.
A set of stocks would look nice on the village green there.
Posted By: Softy_Southerner Re: Vandalism at Hillsborough memorial - 7th Jun 2009 6:02pm
I've just seen the pictures of this on the news.
The little feckers want stringing up and flogging mad
Posted By: Angela Re: Vandalism at Hillsborough memorial - 7th Jun 2009 6:17pm
These ba------ds are just total scumbags
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Vandalism at Hillsborough memorial - 7th Jun 2009 7:10pm
Unbelievable. How low can people be?
Posted By: Beaty59 Re: Vandalism at Hillsborough memorial - 7th Jun 2009 8:27pm
They better hand themselves into the police because if I ever find out who they are they will wish they had
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Vandalism at Hillsborough memorial - 7th Jun 2009 8:45pm
disgusting mad

[Linked Image]
Posted By: chris7777 Re: Vandalism at Hillsborough memorial - 7th Jun 2009 9:30pm
disgusting,what is wrong with the youth of today?
they want stringing up and flogging.
i look forward to seeing them caught,put them on community service and make them build it up again and then flog them!
Posted By: Wench Re: Vandalism at Hillsborough memorial - 7th Jun 2009 9:40pm
Not very often I'm lost for words no
Posted By: MissGuided Re: Vandalism at Hillsborough memorial - 7th Jun 2009 9:45pm
I'd like to see their parents pay for the damage, because ultimately it is their fault.

It would seem that there is nothing sacred left in this world. Am I surprised? No. This is all just a part of the general winding-down of this planet.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Vandalism at Hillsborough memorial - 8th Jun 2009 10:48am
UPDATED: Vandals wreck Hillsborough memorial garden in Port Sunlight

VANDALS have destroyed a Hillsborough memorial garden in Port Sunlight.

Memorial stones were thrown across the gardens in the village and decorative balustrades were kicked and smashed during the attack, believed to have taken place during Saturday night and the early hours of this morning.

An estimated £10,000 worth of damage was caused and police are investigating the incident.

Created by Unilever the garden was for staff, who lost loved ones in the Hillsborough disaster 20 years ago, to pay their respects.

Lionel Bolland, from the Port Sunlight Village Trust, told the Globe: "Everybody I've spoken to in the village is deeply upset by this.

"I can't believe how anybody could act in such a base way and can't find the words to describe how despicable this act is.

"Someone was looking at the smashed stones lying on the ground and said to me that they might as well be the 96 who lost their lives in Hillsborough lying there.

"The police have acted sensitively with us on this issue."

Looking to the future, Mr Bolland said: "It's going to cost a lot of money to restore, because the monument features natural stone.

"We need to make sure that it's carefully and sensitively restored."

Wirral Detective Inspector Andy O'Connor said:

"We have no idea what the motive is behind this incident, but we will do all that we can to find the individuals responsible.

"We are looking for help from the people of Wirral, and I would urge anyone with any information, or anyone who witnessed this incident , to contact the police immediately.

"This is a despicable attack on a memorial and the people who carried out this attack have shown complete disrespect for those who lost their lives and their families."

Anyone with information can contact Birkenhead CID on 0151 777 2263, or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.

THE GLOBE
Posted By: Peachy Re: Vandalism at Hillsborough memorial - 8th Jun 2009 10:52am
Thats awful!! i hate ... bags like this!
Posted By: Davey_Martin Re: Vandalism at Hillsborough memorial - 8th Jun 2009 11:12am
sick little c*nts - im confused how nobody in the houses opposite never heard anything?
Posted By: Softy_Southerner Re: Vandalism at Hillsborough memorial - 8th Jun 2009 11:18am
I do wonder if these little scrotes realise just what a huge mistake they have made.
Everyone hates mindless vandalism but to do this to:
a) a football memorial
b) the memorial was to a local club in an area where football is their life blood
c) so close to a major anniversary when feelings are already running high

They had better hope that the police get to them before anyone else does. We'll soon see how 'hard' they are when they go running crying coz the big boys are after them.
Posted By: chriskay Re: Vandalism at Hillsborough memorial - 8th Jun 2009 3:48pm
Originally Posted by Davey_Martin
sick little c*nts - im confused how nobody in the houses opposite never heard anything?

Trouble is, these days, people are afraid to interfere in case they get knifed. I'm afraid that if I heard anything, I wouldn't go out. I'd call 999.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Vandalism at Hillsborough memorial - 8th Jun 2009 6:10pm
i would have to go out and give the Grrrs a good kickin. mad
Posted By: Angel_x Re: Vandalism at Hillsborough memorial - 8th Jun 2009 7:09pm
i've gone all cold first with shock and then with rage, from looking at the pictures and reading of the damage they have caused! totally sick! i hope someone gets their hands on them before the police do and knock ten kinds C**p outta the ... bags!!! total devastating for the families and friends of those who lost their lives mad frown
Posted By: chris7777 Re: Vandalism at Hillsborough memorial - 9th Jun 2009 7:19pm
Originally Posted by Davey_Martin

people are to frightened to intervene these days,i suppose someone did call the police....but how long does it take them to get there? useally when the b******s have gone!!why not have the police on foot....i remember when they used to walk the streets and check shops were locked up...well i am going back some years!
Posted By: Softy_Southerner Re: Vandalism at Hillsborough memorial - 11th Jun 2009 9:14pm
A 16-YEAR-OLD boy has been arrested in connection with the criminal damage at the Hillsborough Memorial, Port Sunlight, Wirral.

The youth, who was arrested yesterday afternoon, is currently assisting officers with their investigation.

Residents of the village were left horrified as an estimated tens of thousands of pounds worth of damage was done when the stonework around the memorial garden was loosened and knocked down in the early hours of last Sunday morning.

Anyone with information can contact Birkenhead CID on 0151 777 2263, any police officer or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/live...lsborough-memorial-yobs-100252-23841397/

Excellent News!
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Vandalism at Hillsborough memorial - 11th Jun 2009 10:58pm
excellent clap

Posted By: Beaty59 Re: Vandalism at Hillsborough memorial - 11th Jun 2009 11:35pm
Yes but all he'll get is a fine, a slapped wrist and told not to do it again.
I'd rather meet him with, other fellow Hillsborough survivors, and meter out our own justice, he wouldn't do anything like that again.
Posted By: Angela Re: Vandalism at Hillsborough memorial - 12th Jun 2009 8:52am
That's good news that he has been caught but it's probably true what Beaty59 says that he'll most likely get off with a slapped wrist.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Vandalism at Hillsborough memorial - 12th Jun 2009 8:32pm

Two more arrested in connection with damage to Hillsborough Memorial in Port Sunlight

TWO more arrests have been made in relation to damage to the Hillsborough Memorial in Port Sunlight which shocked a community on Sunday.

A 16-year-old boy and a 13-year-old boy have been arrested on suspicion of causing criminal damage.

Another 16-year-old boy was arrested yesterday (Thursday) in connection with the same incident.

All three have since been released on police bail pending further enquiries.

Police had been called in the early hours of Sunday following reports that damage had been caused to a wall behind the memorial. Officers do not believe the vandalism was football-related or a targeted attack against the memorial and its connections to the Hillsborough tragedy.

Anyone with information can contact Birkenhead CID on 0151 777 2263, any police officer or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.

THE GLOBE
Posted By: Wheels Re: Vandalism at Hillsborough memorial - 1st Jul 2009 9:58pm
I had a look today. its a mess.

Video

[youtube]P1GmDjqrcpk[/youtube]
Posted By: topofthepops Re: Vandalism at Hillsborough memorial - 1st Jul 2009 10:14pm
Thanks for putting the video up - what a mess!

I know the report said something was reported in the early hours Sunday morning, but it looks like there are houses right next to the memorial.

You would imagine that someone must have heard the noise and phoned the police before the little bas***** managed to do all that damage! If the police did take their time in getting there (as someone suggested), I couldn't have stopped phoning the police, if it was me witnessing it -
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Vandalism at Hillsborough memorial - 1st Jul 2009 10:29pm
Absolute disgrace.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Vandalism at Hillsborough memorial - 1st Jul 2009 10:33pm
Originally Posted by PaulWirral
Absolute disgrace.

withthat nice one wheels happy
Posted By: Sanchez Re: Vandalism at Hillsborough memorial - 1st Jul 2009 10:44pm
this is ia sign, we should get rid of our dead in a different way.........
Posted By: Mondeo_Scott Re: Vandalism at Hillsborough memorial - 1st Jul 2009 11:04pm
total utter disgrace im sometimes ashamed to say i live on the wirral but i do think the culprets should be paraded through port sunlight village and let the residents throw stones and bricks at them and hail abuse like they did years and years ago.

and wot a great video wheels thanks for sharin.
Posted By: Wheels Re: Vandalism at Hillsborough memorial - 2nd Jul 2009 6:49am
I spoke to an old timer while I was there and he said that they now have 2 lads. one 16 and the other 20. he also gave me a name.

I will leave it and see if anyone Grasses them up in the youtube comment box.
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Vandalism at Hillsborough memorial - 2nd Jul 2009 9:47am
Lets hope so eh
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Vandalism at Hillsborough memorial - 30th Jul 2009 11:05am
Trust overwhelmed by response to Hillsborough Memorial repair appeal

AN appeal to restore a vandalised Hillsborough Memorial garden in Port Sunlight has raised £4,000.

In what has been described as a "despicable" act, memorial stones were thrown across the gardens in the village and decorative balustrades were kicked and smashed during the attack, which occured sometime between Saturday night and the early hours of Sunday June 7.

The Port Sunlight Village Trust needs to raise £26,500 to restore the Portland stonework, improve security in the garden and introduce an information panel highlighting the importance of the memorial to visitors.

It is hoped enough will have been raised by Christmas to start restoration work early in the New Year, with a re-dedication of the memorial taking place in the spring.

The Trust's chief executive Lionel Bolland said: "We have been overwhelmed by donations and offers of help in-kind from individuals and organisations, local, national and international.

"Liverpool Football Club, Sheffield Wednesday and Nottingham Forest have all pledged their support, as have National Museums Liverpool.

"We have been particularly touched by the Hillsborough Family Support Group who generously donated a £1,000 to the appeal."

There was a collection at the Village fair on Sunday.

Donations for the Village Trust's appeal can be sent to: 23 King George’s Drive, Port Sunlight CH62 5DX.

The memorial was the first to be dedicated after the Hillsborough disaster in 1989 in memory of the 96 people who tragically lost their lives.

Created by Unilever the garden was for staff, who lost loved ones in the Hillsborough disaster 20 years ago, to pay their respects.

To raise awareness of the appeal, a leaflet has been created and distributed for free by Wirral businesses.

A programme of local events to help generate funds, details of which will be announced shortly.

For more about the appeal or to make a donation visit portsunlightvillage.com or call 0151 644 4800.

THE GLOBE
© Wirral-Wikiwirral